Revlon Charlie Gold

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/7/2018 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I had a vague memory of owning this fragrance in my early teens and that it was quite pleasant, although I didn't really wear perfume back then. So when I found it being still sold online for almost nothing, I decided to give it a try. And it really is lovely! It's almost been the only scent I've used since I got it. Love the cinnamoncy, fruity caramel smell with a hint of rose.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have about 5 perfumes on rotation, and this is one of them. Not my favourite, but a good every day perfume. Smells spicy and woody, and I love that it's not too sweet smelling. At first spray it can smell quite strong, but eventually dulls down a bit and mingles with your own smell. Lasts about 6 hours on me.

Heyfattybum is right when she said that this is similar to fragrances like Chanel Allure and Lancome Tresor. It's a spicy oriental with fruity top notes. I like virtually everything about it - except the cinnamon. Perfumes with a heavy cinnamon component simply remind me of pot pourri. if it wasn't for that, I might well have succumbed to this.

You can always find this perfume cheap. It's well formulated, smells much more expensive than it is and one spray will last all day. If it works with your body chemistry it's one of the best bargains around. Suprisingly, you will rarely smell it on other people. Despite being available in Australian for less than 10 bucks, it's not a fragrance that seems to be given as the ubiquitous christmas or birthday gift (what do you get for the female relative you don't know very well?). This is another good reason to give it a go. For a dirt cheap price you can smell upmarket and most people won't be able to tell what you're wearing.

on 11/3/2014 6:45:00 AM

From the descriptions and the price , I was thinking I would really like this, alas, no. Too many different notes coming from too many clashing directions. They took the freshness out of original Charlie to make this, and it was a mistake. Charlie was supposed to help you claim your place in the world as a newly liberated woman, and even though it was quite affordable, it worked. This stuff smells only of cheap perfume.

on 1/11/2013 9:36:00 AM

Good value for money. I decant and dab, I can't work it when sprayed, it's far too potent. It smells like what it is -- a very well-priced, pleasant scent with huge sillage and excellent lasting power. But the notes make it enormously 'perfume-y'. I'm not sure it's aldehydes, rather a bombardment of 'big' smells. Rubbing unscented lotion on where I dab the perfume softens it a little - but, wow, this projects! I've had my fill of well-priced, 'big' perfumes lately and although this is nice, it's hard to wear unless my nose is prepared for the onslaught - or I'm prepared to wait the full hour for the top and mid notes to settle. The bottle is ordinary, I doubt I'll repurchase.

I can't figure it out: it has gourmand elements, floral elements, woodsy elements. Like Mad Scientist Dr Revlon just chucked it all in there and made 'PERFUME'. That said, I don't hate it; it just doesn't have any stand-out features that grab me. The first time I wore it I liked it. I like it less now but give it three lippies because, for the price, it's pretty decent, and the dry down is actually quite yummy...if you have the patience to wait for it. Some of the scents I reviewed recently are the opposite of top loaded; they make you wait half a life time for the best part. And I'm not patient.

on 12/16/2012 5:31:00 PM

I'm jumping on the bandwagon for this!

FIrst, yes, this is another one of those perfumes with a bad opening. In CG's case, the unpleasantness is over within a minute or two, but while it is bad, you are afraid you have just entered the anteroom of 1980's tuberose stinker hell. There's a sense of the bitterly strident sourness. But suddenly the clouds part, and you're left with...

A lovely sandalwood spice, with a warming and slightly tart fruity middle and a very graceful jasmine/rose floating throughout. I didn't get SuperSugar!!! or even carmella notes. The sweetness, on my skin, was minimal in fact, and I'm not even sure I could honestly say there's vanilla in here. Well, maybe a touch on the topnotes, but not huge vanilla declarations. It doesn't have a ton of lasting power on me, but at this price, who cares?

I also didn't get killer sillage -- a nice, mid-range sillage with not huge projection. The spice, btw, is not coming to my nose as cinnamon, just as a spicy-sweet woody edge not unlike Organza Indecence. In fact, one could say this was like OI but with a fruity/tart middle and a strong floral presence.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Ladies if you like/wear Channel Allure/Lancome Tresor/Jimmy Choo ..then try this abs beauty...ordered it unsniffed arrived yesterday spritzed the air walked through & got on with life.....a short while later was out walking my dogs & noticed the most beautiful soft caramel spicey fragrance with notes recognised from perfumes I already own....not a mismatch but subtley intertwined...this is the most perfect everyday autumn/winter fragrance ..so snuggly & cuddly & I wore it to bed & sprayed my pillows with it ..so for me to do that it must smell beautiful ..Its very comforting fragrance ..a soft fresh spicey oriental
I'm totally useless with notes thats why I used examples of perfumes I already own ....
The juice is dark orange ..and the bottle is the triangle shape Charlie bottles usually are very large & chunky but I like that ....still looks good on a dresser imo...and the price of my new found favourite was 5.25 for 100ml EDT..which is strong enough...lasted at least 10 hours on me..and my bedroom & linen smell delicous .....

on 8/27/2012 7:27:00 AM

Reminds me of a beautiful rose potpourri. Love this stuff. I hope I can keep on finding it online!!!

on 2/11/2012 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Shame this is discontinued this fragrance reminds me of tresor but with a bit more oomph with soft vanilla and a kind of toffee/caramel middle note and some musk. Very nice

on 9/25/2011 8:23:00 PM

I like this alot..This goes to show,that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a nice fragrance...Some of the nicest scents come in the plain bottles and packaging..And some horrible scents came in fancy expensive bottles...This smells like Yves Rocher's Cantate fragrance,if you like that scent you might like this also.

Popular Fragrances