EcoTools Bamboo Six Piece Essential Eye Set

EcoTools Bamboo Six Piece Essential Eye Set

4.1

My goodness me I love these.

I have lots of brushes so I've been on a brush no buy for a few years. Although I have so many, I have never found a really fluffly 'all over' e/s brush that I really love. I spotted the one in this kit and wanted it immediately.

I held out, thinking that I have so many already... I don't need it. I picked it up and almost bought it a few times but always talked myself out of it. One day I was perusing the m/u section at TK Maxx and this brush set was there. Finally I got it.

I hardly ever use any other brushes for my eye m/u now. I feel like laugh crying when I think about how much money I have spent on e/s brushes. These brushes are easily comparable to MAC imo and they are a fraction of the price, even when not on sale at TX Maxx.

This is the perfect set. I love the crease brush, the little smudge brush is perfect. I finally have the full 'all over' brush I always wanted AND they are from sustainable bamboo, cruelty free and *wipes tear* they are the perfect size for travelling and they come with their own little clear travelling pouch.

I have a Barry M e/s brush that was similar price range, compared to these it is scratchy and annoying. I have read other reviews saying that they have a hard time picking up colour with these. The material the bristles are made from seem to be quite 'slippery' so I can see why, but I haven't noticed it enough to be concerned about it.

I use them all the time with my Naked 2 palette and I feel like they were made for it. - I just realised that the bristles have a very similar feel to the e/s brush that came with the palette. I guess because they are both synthetic.

Anyhow. If you are just starting out and would like to get some eye m/u brushes. I cannot recommend these enough.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

EcoTools calls this six piece brush set an "eye makover on the go". Each of the five brushes is designed to have multiple functions. These brushes feature "soft, cruelty free taklon bristles, recycled aluminum ferrules, and sleek bamboo handles." EcoTools is a wildly popular brand among bloggers big and small. As most already know, EcoTools make very reasonably priced brushes and other cosmetic accessories that can be bought worldwide at just about any drugstore and major retailers. I bought this brush set at Rite Aid on a buy one get one free deal for $7.99, the MSRP, but I've seen it priced for as low as $6, a great deal. I believe EcoTools products are made in America, they are a cruelty free brand.
The five brushes come wrapped up in a small hemp and cotton brush roll that resembles an envelope when closed via velcro. A small mirror can be found inside. It's a decent quality mirror, but too small to do your makeup with, except maybe lipstick or gloss. Five elastic loops inside hold the brushes in place. The case isn't cute by any means, but it's functional and well made. I don't store my brushes in this brush roll, but I do use it for travel purposes.
The brushes in this set are travel size, about five inches long from bottom of the handle to tip of the bristles. Each lacquered bamboo handle features the EcoTools logo and brush name carved into them. The aluminum ferrules are firmly attached to the handle and hold the synthetic bristles in place well. Each brush is dense, silky soft, splay free, washes well, and doesn't shed. The quality is fantastic, especially considering the price.
The first brush in the set is the Blend brush, also known as the Large Eye brush. . Large Eye brush is, in my opinion, a more apt name for this brush for two reasons. First off, it's an entirely different shape than most blending brushes, instead of being fluffy and round, this brush is flat but full, coming to a slightly rounded tip, not really the shape I think of for blending. The other reason? This brush's head is legit the same size as my eyelid. How can I blend with something that takes up the entire surface of my eyelid? That being said, this brush does blend really nicely, but I prefer to use to to apply a light wash of color over the whole lid in one go. This is a lazy day kind of brush.
Next up is the highlgiht brush. Long bristles taper into a softly pointed tip. I have never once used this brush to highlight, mainly because it's the perfect crease brush for my eye shape. I would buy this whole set again just for this brush. It applies and blends shadow into the crease flawlessly. It's the ideal shape for hooded, deep set, almond, or Asian shaped eyes, anyone with a small crease. Thinking about it, I suppose this brush would be good for highlighting for those with larger, rounder eyes. The precise point would be good for applying just a touch of shadow under the brow or in the inner corner.
The third brush in this collection is the Smudge brush. I think this brush could be improved upon a little. What would I change? I'd make it just a little stiffer. Because EcoTools Smudge brush isn't quite the stiffness I'd prefer, I find that it doesn't smudge shadow or liner as well as I'd like, but it could get the job done in a pinch. I prefer to use this brush in the outer V and to define the crease, it's the perfect size, shape, and density.
The Shade brush, a.k.a. the Petite Eye Shading Brush, is a teeny tiny shading/paddle brush, definitely the littlest one that I have. This brush is perfect for it's assigned function, it packs on eyeshadow beautifully, can be used to blend a bit, and is thin enough to use along the lower lash line. This brush is ideal for detail work and precise, perfect application.
Last and probably lease is the Crease brush. A gently angled brush, it's only a little too big for my crease, but it should be fine for most eye shapes and sizes. I use this brush when I want an extreme, rounded crease but it's otherwise impractical for me, personally. It's not a bad brush, it's just not suited for my smaller eyes. It blends really nicely, and creates a nice shape. This is the brush I reach for least frequently.
I really like the EcoTools 6 Piece Eye Brush set. There isn't a bad brush in the bunch. However I don't feel like it's fully complete. This kit could use a little angled liner brush or perhaps a fluffy blending brush. Of course I feel like most kits need an angled liner brush though, they're my favs. Aside from that, EcoTools offers a good selection of eye brushes, definitely all you need if you're traveling. This brush set is excellent, potentially some of the best brushes on the drugstore level, but I think everyone says that. I would repurchase this brush set if I needed to, but they seem very good quality, so I likely won't have to at least for quite a while. Go get these brushes, it'll be eight bucks well spent!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

When I first got this set and used it, I was like "well this doesn't do the job well" and I put them away for sometime. Recently I got my first "higher end" eye palette (tartelette) and found out that the problem wasn't with the brush but my eyeshadows. These worked wonderfully, the bristles are so soft and of good quality. Definitely will re-purchase if they start to wear off.

on 2/8/2016 12:40:00 PM

Best eye brush investment. Granted, they're not that expensive, but they made applying eyeshadow so much easier. They are all I use nowadays. The only thing I'd wish is if they changed the largest brush to an angled brow brush. I have a small lid space and the fluffy angled brush works well for applying colour and blending out the edges. Also, the biggest brush is too small and not fluffy enough for any other purpose like highlighting the cheekbones. I love that this set has the dome shaped crease brush because for some reason, they are extremely hard to find, especially affordable ones.

They are very soft but densely packed, pick up product easily, are small and precise enough for the inner corner and lower lash line, travel-friendly and have never shed. Probably going to last me a long time. Real Techniques and EcoTools are the way to go for me when it comes to affordable brushes!

on 11/19/2014 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Best brushes!! They are super soft and I love the short length. I use the two smallest for applying concealer. I love the canvas sleeve they come in, nice and flat, fits well in my bag..Will buy again when they are all worn out.

on 5/17/2014 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought a small travel makeup bag recently that would not comfortably accomodate my normal sized brushes so I decided to invest in some smaller brushes for when I traveled. I bought a little eyeshadow and fan brush set from Smashbox during the Christmas holiday, but I like having multiple eyeshadow brush choices and the Smashbox set only had a basic large eye brush and a small crease brush, plus a random fan brush. I wanted/needed more options than that because my eye makeup is the most important part of my makeup looks. So I have had my eyes open. In the past I have had some MAC holiday travel brushes, but I didn't want to invest the big bucks for a set of mini brushes that I would only use occasionally. I've seen the Ecotools brushes before and they always felt soft, but I have never bought any of them because I most of the brushes are basic brushes that I already have in some other brand. Today I decided it wouldn't hurt to give one of their travel-sized brush kits a try.

The set comes with six different eyeshadow brushes. I believe there are some travel kits that have blush brushes and powder brushes, but I already have those from a previous MAC mini brush purchase. This Ecotools kit was specifically for eyes, which I was really pleased about. The kit comes with a large eye brush, angled crease brush, petite ey shading brush, highlighting brush and smudge brush. You also get a little stow away bag. The bag isn't anything special, but its worth keeping so you can throw the brushes in a makeup bag and not worry about them flying around or bristles getting bent. It will also keep you from losing them, which I appreciate as I have had problems with losing travel-sized brushes in the past.

The brushes themselves are nicely made. They are very light and the bristles are very soft, but not so soft that they don't pick up shadows. They apply nicely and work well. They aren't as fabulous as my every day brushes, but I didn't really expect them to be. As far as drugstore brushes go these are nicer than most.

For those that care Ecotools products are made of cruelty-free bristles and contained bamboo and recycled aluminum. The stow away bag is made of natural materials and EVA, which is said to be free of phthalates and PVC.

Overall I am glad I purchased these. They were $11.50 and well worth the money. Now I only wish Real Techniques would make some travel brushes and I would be super duper set for travel. lol :)

on 3/2/2011 4:54:00 PM

I wish we could give this a 0 doesn't even deserve a 1. I bought this today and tried it with several different brands of shadow. Not a single brand stayed in the brush. I know that they a cheap brand but these are the worst brushes I have ever bought. I will be attempting to return these tomorrow.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've been in dire need of some new brushes for a while and got these from Amazon at the same time as the Wet n Wild Comfort Zone Palette. I've found these to be great at achieving the kind of looks I want with ease. They are super soft, dense and wash well without shedding. I like the smaller handles, as they can fit into the make-up bag I keep with me on a day to day basis. Overall, a great purchase! (I also found that the eyeliner brush works wonderfully as a mini concealer brush) UPDATE: The smaller of these brushes haven't lasted well, despite proper use. Such a shame, as the larger ones are still in great shape!

on 8/2/2015 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

These were the first eye brushes I ever bought. It is a good little affordable pack for those who have no eye brushes. I also like that you get the little zip bag with it. You have the lash/brow comb brush that is exactly as it sounds, a large eye brush, angled brush, highlighting brush, petite brush and smudge brush. I have small hooded eyes and I found that the large eye and angled brush were just too large and awkward to use on myself. So I never use them. The highlighting brush works ok as a blending brush, but it is still a bit too large for me. I like the petite and smudge brush the most. The petite is small and flat making it good for patting on concentrated colour in certain areas. Whereas I use the smudge brush for lining the lower lash line, doing an inner eye highlight and even to spot conceal! Shame they don't sell this separately because I would have bought some more. They are soft for low end brushes and while they are not luxury they don't feel scratchy at all. I have experienced zero shedding and I swear I have owned this set for at least five years. So they are durable and of good quality. I would recommend if you want a good cheap brush set. I would not repurchase because really I only have use for 2/6. Also they are still in great condition.

on 9/6/2012 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is my go-to line for brushes. I've had some of them for almost two years and I've never had a single bristle fall out of any of them. The are eco-friendly and affordable as well. When I worked in cosmetics, these are the brushes I would tell everyone to buy.

I bought this set because I wanted a crease brush, and I liked the smaller brushes so I can put some on my waterline. I'm sure there's probably better brushes out there, but these work just fine for me.

Popular Makeup Brushes