NYX Studio Perfect Photo-loving Primer

NYX Studio Perfect Photo-loving Primer

3.8

Ingredients- Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Isododecane, Cyclomethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Propylene carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Silica Silylate, Dimethicone/ PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I adore this product. I purchased the clear one. It fills in all my pores and creates a smooth surface for my foundation. I would say its a dupe for the Smashbox Photo Finish primer which I usually purchase but this is a real great product for half that price and it performs just as great if not better. I highly recommend especially if you're on a budget.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My skin is very picky about primers. It absolutely hated the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer. It gave me so many blemishes, I had to get rid of it. Because of that experience I completely swore off primers for YEARS.

Then a few months ago I was using a foundation that just did not work without a primer no matter what I did, but I was a little broke so I just picked up one of these little guys. My hopes were not high.

And it totally blew me away. It goes on like silk, and my foundation applies flawlessly over it. It definitely helps with the wear time, which is no small feat for skin as oily as mine. And it's cheap! Sure it's not the most gorgeous packaging. But the product is incredible. I may even prefer this to my Guerlain primer I purchased recently.

Seriously, give this primer a try, I just cannot believe how much I love such an inexpensive product.

on 11/27/2016 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This product was a gift to me so I thought I would try it out! I was given the product in the green shade, but didn't really see a difference in colour correctness when I used it. It felt very silicone-like and didn't help hold my foundation and concealer at all, everything slid off my face within a few hours. I have dry to combo skin so I was surprised at that! I wish it worked for how cheap it is, but unfortunately not! I did give it a go for a few weeks but couldn't stand it any longer!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Primers are one of those products, like heat protectants, that are super hard to judge because you're never quite sure how much of a difference they're making. Sometimes you'll see a difference and sometimes you're unsure if it's the foundation, the weather, etc.
I picked up this primer because it seems like my pores doubled in size over the past year and I wanted something to put as a barrier between my face and the makeup. This fits the bill.
I have this in the clear version. It glides on super smooth, evenly, no odors to be had. It was around $8 or $10 at the NYX store. I noticed the makeup applied a bit more flawlessly when using this but didn't think much of it until a few days ago when I forgot to put this on and applied my liquid foundation directly to my face.
Without the primer, I did notice my pores were more apparent and throughout the day my makeup looked a little patchy in some places (this may have been due to another product I was trying out as well). I felt like the porcelain-skin look I had achieved in the week before this must have been partially due to the primer, and I realized it DID make a difference in keeping the makeup from "settling" in my pores too much.
I will continue to purchase because I feel like for a drugstore brand, or just in general, this works very well. I have used the Laura Mercier flawless skin primer and did not see much of a difference between the two, either in consistency or effect (well, except the price tag of course!)

on 5/3/2016 5:42:00 AM

I thought the primer would be thicker but its kinda watery and melts softly into the skin. The primer contains silicon so you have to powder and use a makeup setting spray if you want your makeup to last all day.

I have this in clear and I'm really loving it. Made a foundation that I was almost giving up on look amazing on my skin. Controls oiliness very well, my make up looked amazing all day.

It has a really smooth, silky consistency that is easy to apply. Lot of product in a nice squeeze tube.

on 4/16/2016 11:08:00 PM

I absolutely LOVE this product. I have the Clear primer and it is just my favorite. I honestly must say it is a VERY good dupe for the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer. I own both and honestly they both feel like the same to me. Both have a smooth silicone application and make my makeup look smooth. But the Smashbox one is quite expensive (36USD) and this NYX primer is only 13USD.

I recently bought the NYX photo loving primer in the shade "Clear". My first impression was that it did make the skin noticeably softer. I have typically dry skin and it did improve the application of my foundation (I use the NYX Matte But Not Flat Foundation in "Creamy Natural"). I don't think that it improved the longwear of my foundation, but when used with a setting spray it lasts. I compared this primer to the popular Smashbox photo finish primer, and although the Smashbox primer had a noticeably better quality, NYX's primer is great for the price and is a good alternative to the Smashbox photo finish primer.

on 2/12/2016 6:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

So I also bought a green one after reading the reviews thinking "Eh, if it reduces my redness then cool, if not doesn't matter."

After seeing pretty good reviews and reasonably high rating I had expectations and, really, it didn't fulfil any of them.

I put it on and it felt sort of sandy, powdery on my skin. Went about my day and came home about 5-6 hours (no exercise, sport just a normal walk around day) and my makeup was pretty much gone. Didn't reduce redness or moisturised or anything so.

Pretty disappointing, because although it's not excessively expensive it was still a lot to pay for something that doesn't work.

on 1/26/2016 5:54:00 AM

I feel like I'm the only person with dry skin who doesn't like this primer. I found that this product made my skin look extremely dehydrated and dry. I wore my normal foundation which usually has pretty good lasting power and it was patchy and flaking after a few hours.