Cover Girl Lipslicks - Edgy

Price: $

Price: $

on 3/27/2017 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Wow, I really like this a lot! I had never even known this beautiful sheer plum color existed back when Lipslicks were still on the shelves. I come from the days of "Hint of..." color names, and I wasn't at all impressed with those colors. I know I must have tried one or two but was unhappy either with the shade, or the texture (not very glossy), or the smell (somewhat rancid). After stumbling across a picture of this on Pinterest, I googled images, read blog reviews & all the MUA Lipslicks reviews. It is mostly very well-loved & this looked like a color I'd purchase.....I've been a sheer plum lip gloss/color fanatic for years & I still haven't given up looking for the perfect product, ever since Fran Wilson Jelly Beans 'Lucky Licorice' in 1993 (I miss that piece of lip perfection). So I purchased an original sealed package of this from eBay at 4X the original store price. Therefore I had to rate high on price since I paid $19 to try this discontinued item. I figured I'm willing to do it once, if all else fails.

Glad I took the chance on this! The color & formula are exactly the perfect sheer plum/purple that I always craved & could never find or recreate myself without a lot of mundane steps. Most products were too dark, or not purple enough, or virtually colorless. This applies easily, wears well, color is sheer, feels lightweight & comfortable, doesn't have much shine (contrary to the CG pkg claim) but has a gentle, subtle, glowy moistness that's very appealing & satisfying. I like how the moist formula hugs the lips rather than sliding off or melting away like many sheer products. The rancid-wax scent fades with wear so it doesn't sicken me all day & I don't taste any bitter flavor (I'm not much of a lip-licker anyway). It's a miracle if I wear any makeup anymore these days (except lip gloss or balm as needed), so this'll more than likely last me quite a long time. I have a big box full of unfinished lip colors because the result was too pink or too red - this Lipslicks can also be used as a good color base to balance out the inadequacy of those disappointing colors, as well as be worn alone. I don't find it to be drying like many of those that I have in the box, so it even serves double duty as a moisturizing base. I love versatility!

It's a shame I'm reviewing a product that isn't really available anymore, but I feel it's worth making the effort since I'm pleased with the product. I only wish the Lipslicks line was back on the market. I'd like to try the Clear next.

on 1/1/2017 4:53:00 PM

I was a big fan of Cover Girl Lipslicks glosses, my favorites being Bronze Goddess and Hipster. I was hesitant to try Edgy at first but based on other reviews I picked it up and really liked it. It's a very dark purple in the tube but goes on sheer. I like it just as well as Bronze Goddess and Hipster.

As other reviewers have stated, these have unfortunately been discontinued which is a shame. These were great glosses, they were a simple no fuss product and great for me on days that I just wanted a little color. They have been revamped as the Lipslicks Smoochies line but I haven't explored those. Not sure I will, while they probably very similar to these they don't in my opinion have the great colors that the original line did.

If they were still around, I would definitely rebuy. I do have a few back ups but will have to use them up before they expire. These were a great product though, 5 stars all the way.

on 11/10/2012 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I heard this product was similar to Clinique's Black Honey. It was a bit hard to find, but I finally found it at the local supermarket. It's a very nice emollient lipstick that gives a hint of plum color. Looks more like a tinted balm than a lipstick. This is flattering on most skin tones. The scent is a bit off-putting, and the packaging is not the greatest, but for the price it's something I can overlook.

on 9/5/2012 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I thought this color was discontinued, but I found it at a grocery store while I was out of town. Woot!

I was excited to pick up this product because it is hailed as being a dupe for my beloved Clinique Black Honey. They definitely aren't dupes, but I love them both. Edgy is much more purple and therefore not as natural looking; Black Honey is better if you're going for the "no make-up make-up look" and Edgy feels more dramatic. It leans more plummy while Black Honey looks more raisin. I also find Edgy to be much more buildable, which is fantastic. It can go from giving you a nice sheer berry flush to a rather intense look similar to Revlon Va Va Violet but more toned down. I really enjoy the versatility. The product also has a grape scent that reminds me of a grape soda! It's pretty inoffensive and not all that detectable on the lips.

on 10/8/2011 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

This is my HG lip gloss and has been for years now. I just swipe a bit of this on and I'm good to go for a quick easy natural look. The color is such a nice warm but sheer deep plummy pink and it looks great for any time of year. The texture is smooth and moisturizing without being sticky or tasting awful and I love the shape of the tube and the gloss itself, it has a sharper angle than a lot of lipsticks and glosses. Great gloss and pretty cheap to boot.

on 4/4/2015 12:30:00 PM

This is one of the best sheer lipsticks I've ever used in my life! As a professional, I loved telling people about this incredible drugstore secret. My favorite colors: clear, bronze goddess, hipster, daring.

Sadly CG discontinued this incredible product. If you loved it as much as I do, you can VOTE TO BRING IT BACK on their site!

By refreshing your browser it will reset the voting mechanism so you can vote for each color that you love!

on 5/4/2010 1:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I love this!! A lovely sheer plum color...similar to Clinique Black Honey...beautiful and sexy!

on 11/28/2009 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Great product. I find it hard to find lip products that don't turn an unflattering shade of bright pink on me, but this is gorgeous. Feels like a lip balm, looks like a lip gloss, applies like a lipstick. I'm not a fan of packaging-- it looks cheap, and the circumference of the stick is huge. If it were a bit slimmer I could confidently apply without a mirror, however I find I always end up with a bit of pigment on my skin. This won't deter me from repurchasing though-- I just grabbed 2 at target yesterday!

on 12/2/2009 12:50:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I found this lipgloss on clearance at Ulta for 1.99 so I had to try it. I'm really glad I did.
The color looks really intense and dark in the tube but its very subtle with just a hint of color when applied.
The texture is very smooth and its not at all sticky, like some glosses can be. There's no waxy chapstick feel either.
The packaging is lacking but for such a great product and wonderful price, I can definitely over look that.

on 10/11/2010 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Love this!! Perfect sheer plum, some shine but not too much. So happy I got this one. Will stock up!