Estee Lauder Cinnabar

Estee Lauder Cinnabar

on 5/28/2016 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Sampled this several times now. I guess hoping for a miracle.
I don't care for it. It's so sharp. It stings the back of my throat/nose.
I like a more creamy, less thorny/less floral oriental for cool weather. It's about the same price as Noir Pour Femme, but the NPF is much smoother, rounder, more gourmand. I'd even take Opium or Obsession over Cinnabar.
I give points because it lasts and lasts, it's relatively strong, and has good projection. It's just too much sharp, dry cinnamon for me. The dry down, about 5 hours after applying, is smoothly gorgeous. But I can't get past the first few hours.
Definitely try it if you like a powerful, clean cinnamon accord.

on 4/8/2016 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My Cinnabar is at least 10 years old. I can't imagine ever needing to repurchase it unless I live to be 100. That *could* happen because my father lived to be 83 and my mother lived to age 92! :)
So I used to wear Cinnabar "back in the day" in the late 80's to mid 90's. I worked in a department store (smaller regional chain) and there was plenty of fragrance counter "hook-ups" since two of my best friends worked in cosmetics! Perfect gateway to an already set in perfume addiction! BTW men LOVED Cinnabar and usually commented on how great I smelled.
I left Cinnabar in the dust of a vanilla cloud of oriental fragrances and waltzed my way into the new millennia. ELC was just a fond memory in my perfumed life.
Fast forward to 2016. Ta da! I am in that middle part of life and finding that things I "used to love" I am loving again and Cinnabar is one of them.
Decanting to a roller ball mini container is a really smart thing that I did as Cinnabar packs a wallop. It means that you can strategically place it on the pulse points of your choice and get just enough bang for your buck. Less really is more where Cinnabar is concerned.
I am so glad that I am experiencing a rediscovered love affair with Cinnabar. In an earlier review for Avon Timeless I said that Shalimar and Timeless were not similar. I hold to that. I would say that Timeless and Cinnabar or "more similar" in that there is more of an incense quality to my nose that the two share. That being said I get more sweet spice from Cinnabar than from Timeless which is more amber-y to my nose.
Bottom line...when hours later I'm sitting there and thinking "damn! someone smells good!" then realize it's me...well...that's all I need to know! Find some ladies and from what I've read get the older version.

To Read all 91 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

My very first try of Cinnabar today. The new looking bottle which does not look like the picture above. There is a pamphlet in the box with a brief history about all the seven classic fragrances in the 'New' collection. Cinnabar is one of the classics of course.
I am impressed with the spicy warmth of this fragrance and its very long lasting. There is a lot of cinnamon and warm spice all the way through till the end when it becomes feint but pleasant. I don't notice any amber or vanilla.
This fragrance is definitely strong enough to use lightly or just dab unless you're wanting a stronger scent.
This seems good for cooler weather or during Winter, but any weather if you just love the comfort of the smell of this.
I just had to compared Cinnabar against Youth-Dew and the result is that they are completely different scents on me.

on 2/28/2015 4:45:00 AM

I don't understand why they have wrecked Cinnabar. I have been wearing this since the eighties and has remained not only my favourite perfume but that of my husband and sons who also loved it. Bought recently and took it back. The smell has been totally watered down and within an hour or so completely gone. I hope they see the error of their ways and bring back the original. I won't be buying it again until they do.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I am very much a floral person, and recently decided to branch out of my comfy fragrance zone and try a spicy fragrance to wear during fall and winter. Spritzed Cinnabar at the perfume counter and smelled the cinnamon swirling in the air. I tested other fragrances, but returned to Cinnabar, all the while telling the SA I wanted a spicy scent. She said go for the fragrance you like, not the fragrance you feel you need during fall and winter. Wish I had taken her advice!

When I returned home, and spritzed a small amount of Cinnabar on one wrist, knew within a couple of minutes I made a big mistake purchasing this. Dry down quickly turned into a plastic smell, and then….Youth Dew emerged. GAG. Sorry to all the Youth Dew fans out there, but YD and my body chemistry do not mesh well at all. The stench, I mean fragrance, was so overwhelming and putrid I showered to scrub every last remnant of YD off my skin before going to bed for the night. Cinnabar is potent stuff - I would still catch whiffs of Cinnabar,i.e. YD, while falling to sleep. It made me feel a bit queasy, but too tired to get out of bed and take another shower to rid myself of the fragrance. Thought the scent would dissipate by morning. I was wrong…...

I woke up the next morning with a sinus headache. As I headed to the medicine cabinet to get an aleve, I could still smell Cinnabar faintly in the room, but I trudged forward to the medicine cabinet. In the hallway, I had hung the jacket I wore to the mall on the doorknob, and opened the closet to hang my jacket. Cinnabar on the jacket assaulted my olfactory senses. Oh.My. A sinus headache, Cinnabar lingering in a room and on a jacket, is not a good combination. Headache intensified, and waves of nausea hit me like a ton of bricks. BTW - jacket will be going to the cleaners.

If it were possible, would rate Cinnabar with a negative lippie.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I wore Chanel No. 5 from the 70s until now. Oh, how I wish I had discovered this gorgeous fragrance. It is like a beautiful cinnamon incense, very sexy, warm, sensuous, I was standing in line at a fancy restaurant recently, and a lady exclaimed, 'who smells so good'! I offered her my wrist, she said 'oh, it's you! I love it!!', I love most of the Estee line, but none of their other fragrances, this is the one, and it lasts for hours. I don't care for most of the fruity or chemical fragrances out there that all smell the same, I've smelled them all, I've worn Opium, I've worn Tabu (in my teenage years), this is the one.

on 5/13/2014 9:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This reminds me of a lighter Youth Dew. So similar are they in fact, I wonder if this was suppose to be some type of update or flanker for Youth Dew mellowed with touches of cinnamon.That said, it's still a heavy perfume and should be used with a light hand.

I had only ever smelled this a few times-- Estee Lauder seem to like keeping this one off the counter, at least where I usually shop-- and I was not a fan from what I remember. It smelled heavy and kind of like incense that has gone "off" from sitting around too long in the burner. Then today, I smelled it on someone in front of me in line Christmas shopping and had to ask her what it was because it smelled so good. When she said Cinnabar I was intrigued because it smelled fantastic-- like a perfect blend of cinnamon and frankincense with a really warm tone to it. At the Lauder counter I was told this is often put out for the holidays and I can see how the cinnamon/spice angle would fit that. I'm glad I got to try it-- it goes on quite strong but has one of the nicer dry downs I have ever smelled in a perfume. I agree with others who say it manages to be spicy in a way that is somewhat unusual-- familiar but not "edible". This to me is definitely a perfume that needs to be tried on to see how it works for you-- how it smells in the bottle is definitely not indicative of how it smells on skin. I readily admit to liking the girly, sweet scents but it is nice to wear something with a bit more "sophistication" sometimes!

Wanted to love this, was hoping I could add a second Estee to my perfume collection (love Knowing) but oh no...this is just a big, giant mess. Could not detect any standout notes. Smelled horridly fake, almost like a rubber eraser with some stale spices thrown in. There is really not much I can say's just not appealing to me and it's almost offensive to my senses. Strange, considering my skin chemsitry loves most Oriental blends and I typically end up finding somthing to like about each one I've tried.

To be fair, i spritzed from the bottle they had at the counter. Who knows how old it was and constant exposure to light and heat does funny things to perfumes. Thankfully, I had wipes in my purse which quickly removed most of the scent after I tried to let it settle for about 15 minutes.

Was hoping for a longer lasting scent than my beloved Tabu, which was the "inspriation" for Opium and Cinnabar (from what i've read, anyway) but something not as insanely pungent as Opium can be during that first hour. Plus,to me, Opium smells exactly the same on every woman. I can detect it instantly every time and while i do like the scent, I would prefer somthing more unique. And, in the 35 and younger group, you really do run the risk of a man recognizing those more popular perfumes as something his mother used to wear. While i'm fine with wearing scents that my grandmother loved, I don't want my man being with me and thinking of his mom. Creepy!

if you went to a dollar store, and bought one of thier knockoff "smells like.." perfumes, their copy of Opium would be this. Not sure how the orginal forumlation of Cinnabar smelled since no women I know wore it, but i would definitely not recommend this current blend.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This review is for the current formulation of Cinnabar by Estee Lauder, which is an important variable in a review for perfumes. Many times there can be a huge difference between a vintage and the present rendition of a fragrance. Without ranting and raving about the how's and why's of the perfume industry changing a scent, I'll describe my experience with the current rendition of Cinnabar, a perfume that I used to love.
I sprayed this on, expecting the wonderful spices and warmth to deliver its punch. I couldn't be more disappointed. What a synthetic, crass, harsh and linear opening I experienced.
The spices, cedar and mosses came strolling in, then quickly hid behind the trees, almost as if they were afraid to show themselves. I waited for the spices to show themselves. They did. In a casket. Everything else that I was waiting for, the incense, the cloves, the wonderful cinnamon and patchouli had died and was being readied for a burial. The funeral procession has begun, the woods have taken over, and all the richness and glory is being buried in the deep dark woods. But even the woods are dying.
Today's Cinnabar smells much better on a strip of paper or an article of clothing than on human skin. What has happened to the original? Well, we know. But I won't beat a dead horse. If you remember Cinnabar for a lush experience, look for the vintage. Do not bother with this unrefined new liquid.
It's no wonder the EL counter refuses to give out samples, citing this reason-"Cinnabar has been around for too many years for people to ask for a sample. They know what it smells like. We don't need to give out samples of a popular perfume. We only give out samples of our newest fragrance." I kid you not. I was told this by two EL counter SA's. Perhaps the accurate reason is that customers will try the new Cinnabar and be disappointed and refuse to purchase it. I sampled Cinnabar three times for this review.
I accidentally sprayed some on my sweater and that's where the better aroma of the perfume is evident. The spices intermingle ever so lightly with the other notes, but nowhere near the original of years gone by. What's on my skin is shallowness, a lack of depth in this Cinnabar that would make me hesitate to purchase any current stock.
Top Notes: Spices, Peach, Cloves, Bergamot, Tangerine, Orange Blossom.
Middle Notes: Carnation, Cinnamon, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Lily.
Base Notes: Tolu Balsam, Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Benzoin, Vanilla, Vetiver, Incense.

Popular Fragrances