DermOrganic Sulfate-Free Conditioning Shampoo

DermOrganic Sulfate-Free Conditioning Shampoo
DermOrganics 2013 pretty nice for over1/2 century

4.1

Aqua/Eau/D.Water, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate(1), Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate(2), Decyl Glucoside, Cetearyl Glucoside, Methyl Gluceth-20, Infusion of Argan Oil & Sunflower Seed Extract & Grape Seed Extract & Rice Amino Acid & Sodium PCA & Panthenol & Tocopheral Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycereth-2 Cocoate/Benzoic Acid (natural preservative), Fragrance.

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I have natural (not colored) very long straight hair which tends to get oily at the scalp but dry on the length of it these days probably due to winter weather. Found this in a sampler set at Ulta and decided to give it a try. It really just roughed up my hair, made it look damaged and worn out, and not that easy to comb. It really doesnt do anything positive for my hair whatsoever which is odd considering it's a "conditioning" shampoo with Argan Oil.

on 12/29/2016 7:41:00 PM

Love it. I have colored hair but it looks healthy and beautiful. I do agree that your hair won't feel completely smooth after rinsing this out, but I consider that a good thing. Most of the shampoos that left my hair feeling really smooth did so by coating my hair in too much oil and silicone. So when I would go to condition, it would just sit on top of the hair and wouldn't penetrate. This would eventually lead to dry and frizzy hair. For me, the ingredients in this shampoo have the perfect balance of oils so that it doesn't leave a coating, allowing my conditioner to really do its job. In case you're wondering, I use Biolage Colorlast conditioner with this. I think they work really well together. The only downside with this shampoo is the pumps they use. I think they are junk.

I got this in a sampler set at Ulta, which included this, the masque, and the leave-in treatment.

The shampoo is on the thicker side, with a creamy, pearlescent look. As I got near the end of the bottle, I noticed that the shampoo started to separate and it would look (I hate the words I'm about to use) kind of chunky, almost like a cottage cheese texture. It still smelled and worked the same, so I don't think it went off. Perhaps this needs to be shaken as the product is used? I've never had a shampoo do that, so I'm not sure why that would happen.

It lathered surprisingly well, so a little went a long way. The lather is plentiful and foamy, but still creamy. It rinsed easily and left my hair feeling clean. I didn't feel like this stripped my hair or overdried it, but as someone with dry, wavy/curly hair, I would say it definitely still needs to be followed by a decent conditioner. My hair is colored and I didn't notice any fading while using this shampoo.

I'm normally not too picky with smells, but this one was weird. It was a clean/soapy smell, but immediately and strikingly reminiscent of the hand soap found in public bathrooms. It wasn't awful, but not particularly pleasant, either. Luckily, the smell dissipated quickly after rinsing, and the other products in the line (masque & leave-in) smelled better.

Overall, I think the shampoo was solid, and I would probably buy it again. I'm not repurchasing for now just because it didn't knock my socks off and I want to try other things. I think DermOrganic would do well to change up the scent, though, since I see that I'm not the only one who felt an association with cheap bathroom soap.

If you are reading this you already know the benefits: sulfate free, cruelty free, vegan, made with argan oil, and the list goes on and on...

But my personal opinion is that it works well. I took a chance buying 1litre bottle with pump, and am very glad I did. I don't want it to run out! I still wash my hair with the same frequency, three times a week, but I am losing less. I switched to a sulphate free conditioner as well (Adama Minerals White Coconut) and little by little my hair is transforming into the healthiest it has ever been! Especially after it has air dried, my natural waves come out and everything is so soft and bouncy :)

I have experienced times when I have used just the shampoo and my hair did not feel parched in the slightest. In fact, my waves were more defined. I think this shampoo is better for frizzy, naturally wavy, drier, thicker hair, as by the sounds of other reviews, people with finer hair looking for a sulphate free shampoo aren't having the greatest success... This recipe may be a little too much.

I really do love what it does for my hair, but (and this is where people passing it up shouldn't feel too bad) I am not crazy about the scent. It's funny, I don't wear perfume, but scent is a huge issue with me, in that I am quite particular. Not that I don't like it, it is pleasant enough to use, but nothing spectacular.

I am willing to try another brand, but am sceptical to find a comparable formula.

This is my HG shampoo ever since I realized I'm allergic to sulfates. Even my stylist asked me what I've been doing differently because my hair feels fuller and healthier! Knock off one star because it smells like gas station bathroom hand soap (it doesn't linger) and sometimes as you get to the bottom of the bottle the pump doesn't work as well. Still worth it for me. Buy it at Marshalls in big bottles and it'll last you a month!

on 7/2/2015 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This shampoo is confusing. The good: 1. Many will like all that it states it doesn't contain (sulfates, parabens, etc.). 2. For sulfate free it produces a nice lather. 3. Seems to clean well at first. 4. Not sure if it technically organic...but many love the idea. 5. The reviews are off the charts good for this.

But here is what I don't like about it: 1. My hair felt roughed up, tangled, dry immediately after rinsing this out to the point where it felt like I had seriously just done something bad to my hair. This requires immediate follow up with a VERY good conditioner. 2. Because of #1 I had much more hair loss while rinsing. More than I had seen in a long time. 3. The final result was stringy flat curls and my hair felt rough. I really wanted this to be awesome. Even as I type I am trying to tell myself "give it yet another try....this gets such high ratings"...but the mirror does not lie. Nor does the awful feel of my usually soft shiny hair. This review is for me...as a reminder to not buy another bottle of this.

on 5/28/2015 2:19:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

My favorite sulfate-free shampoo. I've been using it daily for about six months and can't see myself switching to anything else, except for using a clarifying shampoo about once every other week. It lathers beautifully, isn't harsh, and it rinses clean... every other sulfate-free shampoo I've tried (at least half a dozen?) left my hair limp and greasy, whereas this one leaves my hair feeling healthy and residue-free.

I knocked off a star because I HATE the scent and wish DermOrganic would release a similar formula in another fragrance... this one has a very "generic unisex elderly person" smell to it. But I can forgive that because it makes my hair look/feel amazing.

on 3/9/2015 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I loooooove this shampoo! Sooo happy I found it. This is a great sulfate, paraben free shampoo. I used to use, Lamas shampoos, which were great but sooo expensive and hard to find locally which meant I had to order online, and pay for shipping on top of the expensive price. Other sulfate free shampoos did not lather at all, making it very hard to distribute and causing me to have to use a lot more of it. This shampoo lathers great, cleanses great, and does not make my hair frizzie. I notice my hair was a lot softer and smoother after the first try and I haven't gone back since. When I've had to use another shampoo because I traveled and didn't take it with me, my hair goes frizzie and dry. So this shampoo does make a big difference for me. I think the $20 dollar price is more than fair, considering it lasts me about a year. I've never had any problems with itching or dandruff.

Someone mentioned they have used it for 6 months and is still having shedding problems. That means the problem is not the shampoo, but something else, such a diet, or hormones, vitamins etc. That does not mean the shampoo is no good. This is a great shampoo!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I was really looking forward to this product :( I got the trial size from ulta, which lasted about 2 weeks. Only pro is that it seemed to leave the crown of my head nice and shiny (not oily) right after washing. But after a day it made my hair so greasy at the scalp, much earlier than my regular shampoo (dove intensive therapy) would. And maybe it was just my scalp adjusting to sulfate free but along with it came so much itching and dandruff that I couldn't stand it. something in the ingredients was too irritating for my scalp I guess. happy i only bought the trial sizes.

on 2/3/2015 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been losing/ shedding hair since 2000 after giving birth to my son. I thought I was normal b/c of hormones. I guess I was wrong. I think sulfate was the cause for my hair loss or shedding. I have been using it for less than 3 weeks ....touch wood 90% less shedding. Miracle....right? I am happy I found this. I will keep using it.

Popular Shampoos