Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 25% Mandelic Acid Peel

Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  25% Mandelic Acid Peel

4.2

Purified water, mandelic acid, SD alcohol, witch hazel distillate, propylene glycol, malic acid, butylene glycol, hydropropylcellulose, green tea extract, hops, horsetail plant, lemongrass, goldenseal. 8/16/11

on 5/12/2018 7:28:00 PM

Love MUAC, but this was a total dud for me. Did absolutely nothing for my skin at all.

I am 46 years old, lifelong problems with acne, oiliness, and melasma, but this product really helped get all these issues under control.
I’ve moved on to 40% mandelic acid, but this was an impressive start.

on 3/24/2018 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

For 46 yrs old, who hasn't figure it out for the last 30+ yrs what is causing acne roller coaster, this is definitely the holy grail product. My acne has gone 90 % after only 3 peels. My melasma has reduced significantly. What else I can ask for? Their CS is great. I am continue using this product for sure.

Edit 6/9/18
Boohoo, it is not helping me with acne. But it has helped me with my melasma on my cheeks. So i don't know what to make of this products. I am not sure I am going to buy again for acne.

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

The second peel I ever tried from MUAC, and one I reach for more often than any others, especially in late Spring-early Summer.

I made sure to follow their pre-and post-peel directions to the letter and worked up to how long I could keep this on before needing to wash it off and neutralize. According to my notes I've kept, I think the longest I've had it on is six minutes with a tolerable stinging. Not a lot of peeling afterwords, just a tiny amount around my nostrils and over my upper lip. My skin is soft and pink afterwards and the effect lasts several days.

Great product for the price!

on 10/26/2017 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i dont think i will use this again.
first 2 peels, it gives me 2 deep cystic acne each time on the 2nd day. i bought this to clear my congested pores. the clogged pores are still the same. 3rd peel it give me a pimple luckily not the deep kind.
the main thing is, clogged pores are not clear or reduce!!
one pro is that it dry up already there cyst on the 2nd day but not completely fatten.

on 5/1/2017 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Quite disappointed considering with all the reviews on their website and before and after i expected miracles. It is rather disappointing because of all the products i have ever bought i actually sincerely thought this product will be the end to all my skin woes, WRONG.
I live in the UK so you can imagine how much i paid for the product by the time i actually got it in my hands, but i paid because i thought it would actually worked. Didn't do much but make my skin tighter... I'm in my early 20's and honestly i don't need my skin tightened, it's tight. I have been using it RELIGIOUSLY for 4 months and nothing! Skin isn't even, marks have not faded, pores haven't tightened, skin isn't glowing, nothing.
I'm so confused because the reviews does not replicate my experience whatsoever. I feel like i am never going to win against this war with hyerpigmentation but all i do know is this product is wack!

I guess it's for people who have clear skin because it seems skin products only work for people with already perfect skin. this product is TRASH. bare in mind im using other muac products combined. Nothing has changed

on 9/8/2016 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Normal/dry skin, no acne, melasma, scarring or other issues. I've been using Tretinoin 0.1% and Lotion P50 for 2 years, and my skin is in great shape as a result, however at this point the Tretinoin has reached its peak regarding banishing existing sun damage/pigmentation. I'm now using it in 'maintenance mode' for prevention (of wrinkles/further aging). I still have some slight uneven tone on my cheeks, with some slight texture issues. Also a small patch of photoaged skin on my chest.

So I bought the 25% Mandelic peel to try and do away quickly with the last relics of my irresponsible tanning past. I wanted to start with a gentler peel as my skin is already very exfoliated. I also used the peel on my forearms, which have taken the brunt of my sun damage, (I don't use my Tret. or P50 on my arms).
As of writing this review, I've used the Mandelic peel for 4 sessions, and in each session layered it two-three times and I I left on for 10 minutes. In some cases I didn't rinse it of. (I am not recommending others to do it this way. Follow the instructions that came with the peel).

OVERALL OPINION of product: This is, for my skin, a very, very mild peel that won't *quickly* do away with my slight remaining sun damage. It's so mild, I almost don't feel the need to rinse it off. My skin only slightly flaked, I experienced just slight numbing, and I've not yet noticed any real improvement in my problem areas, arms or face. It did leave my skin very smooth to the touch, but because of the Tretinoin & P50, my skin is already so exfoliated and glowy, I can't really tell if the this peel is adding to my skin's overall appearance. I feel like with 25% Mandelic it would take months to get the result I'm looking for. Not saying it's a bad product, because for those with sensitive or acne prone skin, people looking for a maintenance acid, or first timers who've never used chemical exfoliants - this would be a good choice. It's gentle, absolutely no down time, and can be used weekly. I'm assuming it's great as a consistent maintenance product for long term use.
I want a fast acting and stronger peel with results after the first couple uses, and for me this was not that peel.
I'll use it up as a weekly maintenance item until it's gone. Couldn't hurt. Also will keep using it on my forearms. MUAC has great customer service, fast shipping and I'm totally pleased with my experience with them. Definitely recommend MUAC, just important to pick the peel that best suits your needs and skin type.

I also have the TCX Fusion peel, which is stronger. Moving on to that next.

on 8/22/2016 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Bottom line, this shizz really delivers results. I get kind of angry thinking about all of the super fancy and expensive chemical exfoliators out there, and half of them aren't even formulated at the correct pH to avoid irritation. You can have beautiful skin for not a lot of money, I promise. So, on to the peel, please follow the instructions exactly. I did make the mistake of exfoliating again about a day after I did this peel once, and I ended up dried out and over-exfoliated. Wasn't pretty! My fault, not the peel's. It doesn't sting or hurt too much at all, but don't let that fool ya, it is getting deep down in there. I usually wait two or three days before exfoliating with pads again after I use this. I do it about every week and a half. So this cheap little peel really gets down in there, and saves me money on my other products because I use them less. I haven't had a single new zit since I started using this peel. My other exfoliators work great, but they just weren't strong enough to head off all of my hormonal or *cough* lifestyle related acne. I don't even have to think about my skin since adding in this peel, and it greatly lightens PIH, which is wonderful. One caveat, RIGHT after I use this peel I usually think I look dehydrated and not so great, but moisturizer fixes that up, and the next day is when I am really glowing. So I would use this the day before an event, not day of. I would also get my skin used to daily chemical exfoliation before I added in an acid peel. But if you're on the fence, try it! I love this product! And remember, when it comes to strong actives, ALWAYS patch test first, and LESS is MORE. Patience.
*And if you have clogged skin, you might breakout, but it should also go away much quicker. And listen, that stuff has to come out at some point! It can just painlessly dissolve some clogs though, I've seen it!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've been using this peel about every 4 days to a week for several months now. This is the first all-over peel I've used from MUAC. For over a year now, I've used their 15% salicylic peel on only the clog prone areas of my face which basically obliterates any clogged pores that I may have. I had previously only used a 10% glycolic product several times a week but had discontinued use of acids for a while, and although my skin is in pretty good condition due to daily Asian SS, vitamin C serum, and a couple other antioxidant serums I thought my skin needed something extra. This is a pretty gentle peel, when I first started using it after not having used glycolic acid for several months it was rather "burny" at first. However after the first peel my skin glowed, and any minor clogging I had that wasn't taken care of by the 15% salicylic went away after a few peels. After a few peels I didn't experience the burning sensation at all anymore, now it's just more of a slight warmth. My skin looks glowing and basically flawless every time after I do this peel so I really look forward to it. The only thing I don't like about this peel is the packaging, you have to be extremely careful to only dispense a little bit because it's a very runny liquid and the first time I used it I almost dumped half of it out. I just gently tip it into a cupped palm and use the fingers on my other hand to spread it across my face. I find using a cotton pad or ball just absorbs too much of the product. I definitely plan on trying the 40% mandelic peel next, this one makes my skin so pretty I'm sure that one will make it look almost like glass!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I like this peel although it's not love. I have had a bottle for about six months and, frankly, only use it about once a week as opposed to the increased schedule of every 4 days with continuous use.

Anyways, what I like about it: it's non-irritating & any next-day flaking is not severe (any flakes easily roll off with a light Turkish toweling in my experience). The worst immediate effect is it makes my skin a bit pink for maybe a few hours (which i consider a win). It has helped control my hormonal/jawline acne, my pores are less noticeable to a degree, and my fine lines a bit softer.

It's not a miracle, no, but it is a good option for sensitive skin (I am combo-dry and have eczema). I think after I finish it I will start searching for a retinol, as I would like more noticeable results on my couple of fine lines.