China Glaze Below Deck

China Glaze Below Deck

4.6

on 10/29/2016 4:28:00 PM

I bought this polish because of all the glowing reviews, but this shade didn't work out for me. China Glaze's Below Deck is an interesting color. It's mauve and grey and tan and taupe and beige and lavender all at the same time. If you're a fan of unusual raisin-y neutral polishes, you might want to try this one out.

But the shade itself just didn't do it for me. I feel like if it were a little lighter, or darker, or a little more SOMETHING then I would probably love it. But as it is, this particular one wasn't quite flattering on my nails. I'm sure it's just a matter of skin tone, but this color was just a little bit "off" for me.

Good formula though. Opaque in two coats and no problems with application or wear.

Overall, I liked it but I didn't love it. Wouldn't buy it again.

on 9/17/2016 3:14:00 PM

I recently purchased this on Ebay and I love it. On my pale cool toned skin it looks like a dusty raisin color. It is a beautiful neutral color that is perfect for autumn.

on 9/15/2012 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

A lot of brands have this type of color out right now---it's trendy. But the China Glaze version is so wonderfully creamy and opaque. Feels almost luxurious to apply. You could get by with one coat, but I like two because it wears longer and looks more finished. This lasts well on me for about a week. Great product!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Below Deck is a very trendy and cool colour for the fall and winter. It is a purple with grey undertones and it super flattering on so many skin colours. The application of this nail polish is a DREAM it is creamy and honestly you could pull off only one coat of this, but 2 coats is absolutely perfect for this polish. It lasts for a long time without chipping especially with a good top coat. I get tons of compliments whenever I wear this polish and it's definitely one I see myself grabbing for more often in the fall.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

This is Below Deck (China Glaze) from their Anchors Away Spring 2011 collection. It is a mauvey taupey purple creme that had great application in two coats. Very trendy and cool neutral.

on 11/30/2015 4:51:00 PM

I was a little confused by this polish. It looks different in different light conditions. In bright light it has a mauve undertone and I like it very much, but indoors and in poor lighting it looks brown on me, which I am not the fan of.

The formula of this polish is very good, as is the case with all China Glaze polishes I own. I will reach out for it occasionally, but the colour is not what I expected and therefore I wouldn't repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Ever since the term "greige" came into existence, I've searched for this exact polish, but nothing quite suited my NW20 skintone. From zoya kelly (total fail--streaky, absolutely chipped,) OPI metro chic/YDKJ, rimmel steel grey, and Sally Hansen commander in chic...nothing was quite right. My hands have a tendency to get decidedly red, but below deck remains on the decidedly cool end of the grey spectrum, where the aforementioned shades leaned too warm. The best part of all? The wear on this polish is astonishing, and it dried super fast. If my polish isn't dry within 10 minutes after application, I usually just take it off--I have the patience of a five year old, and I treat my nails like tools, so I'm extremely impressed with below deck. Got it at Sally's for $3.99 (they had a $1 off coupon for all CG polishes,) and it beats most OPI, zoya, and Essie IMO.

on 4/10/2012 3:10:00 PM

This is one of my absolute favorite nail polishes, which is saying something because I have quite a few. Below Deck is a medium purple with strong grey undertones. It's so gorgeous and flattering; I don't think it would look bad on any skintone.
This polish has a cream finish, which I love (not a fan of sparkles). Like most cream China Glaze polishes, it's not too thick or too thin. It's pretty much opaque in one coat, but I always apply two for better staying power. This never bubbles or streaks, either.
With a base coat and a top coat, this lasts incredibly well. Usually after 6 days I have enough tip wear that I decide to take it off, but I'm really anal with my nails...I could see it lasting well over a week on someone who doesn't mind a little wear.
If you like unique shades, particularly shades with grey undertones, buy this nail polish! I can't see anyone regretting purchasing this.

on 5/17/2012 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

OMG. I so wanted to love this color, but it really hates my olive skin. YUCK With a tan or without, it made my hands look Frankenstein-ish, as in ....dead/sallow! I have a flat neutral beige olive complexion which tends to look sallow (greenish yellow) when I wear the wrong np colors -- I have no real warm tones to my skin (no warm caramel or strong golden tones at all). I can usually wear cooler toned np very well, but this was a disaster. :/ 'Nuff said. :/

on 2/28/2012 2:52:00 AM

Only one coat needed. Lovely dark plum/brown/grey colour.

Popular Polishes