MYSORE SANDALWOOD SOAP - & Powder

3.6

Price: $

Price: $

Sodium Palmate, Sodium Pal Kernelate, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium chloride, water, Titanium dioxide, Tetra Sodium EDTA, Perfume and COS colors.

on 4/2/2016 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Have used this for years, usually in the shower or as hand soap. The smell brings back great memories from when I was a kid and the big round bar lasts FOREVER. It holds its shape and doesn't melt. I started buying it again because I'm trying to move away from triclosan soap, and my S.O. was not enthused about the flowery Mistral/Crabtree and Evelyn soaps that usually pop up by our sink. This one's moisturizing for hands and pleasantly gender-neutral on scent! Bonus: It takes grease off hands and out from under fingernails like a champ, and a little goes a long way. It's a bit pricey to use all the time in the shower but at least I can feel luxurious while scrubbing my hands.

The only problem is that the scents are not consistent; what I end up doing is saving the most fragrant ones for use as drawer sachets and using the less-scented bars to wash with.

on 8/21/2014 9:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This has to be THE Sandalwood soap.
The perfume reminds me of a temple altar or the ambrosial prasad offering 'Panchamrit' (milk, honey, ghee, yogurt and sugar). Sacred :) Even just storing the soap in a paper sachet in the closet works wonders - the scent of sandalwood permeates the air.

The soap may be quite harsh for sensitive skin. Over recent years, the soap company ownership has changed hands and the formula seems to have very little sandalwood oil now.
Earlier versions of the soap had lots of sandalwood oil because it was owned by the state government of Karnataka. Now it is a private inc.

Still it is one of my favorite soaps as I love sandalwood - just wish they can keep it honest and use authentic ingredients and less chemicals.

To Read all 5 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/7/2014 10:18:00 PM

Hmmm. It smells very strong. I personally love the smell of sandalwood, but my husband doesn't and he complains that he can smell this from the next room. It also is irritating to my... self... So I have to be careful when I was my armpits or my back so that no water with this soap in it goes near... myself, or it feels- let's just say I don't do it. If you are a dude, this would not be a concern for you unless you got it all up in- well, you get the idea. If you have sensitive skin, I wouldn't even try this.

on 4/15/2011 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I had completely forgotten about this soap. I have used it a couple of times & its pretty good. I specially like it for the fragrance. I just wish it came in a better packet & was a little less pricey. Also more moisturizing. Will definitely buy again.

on 1/31/2011 2:04:00 PM

The REAL Mysore Sandalwood Soap -

If you like the alluring smell of genuine sandalwood, you'll LOVE this simple bar soap. I've been using it for what seems like forever.
The soap is made from real sandalwood in Mysore, India.

THE 411:

- It is FRAGRANT and smells strongly of itself.

- The soap comes in two sizes: a small oval cake good for travelling and a larger squarish size perfect for the shower. It lathers up quickly and rinses cleanly away. (It's not triple-milled so each cake doesn't last very long).

- If you like it, there's an equally fresh & fragrant talcum powder

- It is a 100% better and more potent than the sandalwood soap sold by Crabtree & Evelyn, Roget & Gallet and Caswell Massey (those smell like pale knock-off's compared to this soap).

- Guess WHAT? This soap makes a FABULOUS substitute for pot-pourri placed amongst your finer lingerie, pashminas, and other delicates. Another benefit is that moths don't like it.

At under a $1.50 for the smaller bar of soap, this is a winner in the $$$$ department! Find it at an Indian grocery store near you. If there isin't one in your area, you can buy it from Indian Grocery shops online.
You won't miss the box: It's green, yellow and red and will say,
"Mysore Sandal Soap" in neo-Gothic script.

~ I love this honest-to-goodness soap so much. I do not buy the nonsense that soap can 'replenish', moisturise or put anything INTO your skin (only to be rinsed away!): soap should first & foremost - CLEAN the skin and leave no residue when rinsed off.

N.B. India is supposedly curtailing production of the rare Mysore Sandalwood so this could be seen less and less on shelves.