ASP Quick-Dip Acrylic Nail Kit

1.8

I'm a novice at acrylic nails. I bought this kit due to a recommendation from a sales rep. I found it EXTREMELY hard to use. I found the instructions hard to follow. I did fine cleaning & glueing on the tips then everything fell apart. The glue was gummy and it just made a clumpy mess on my nails. I couldn't get a smooth finish THEN it hardened on my nails & took hours to remove it. I attempted to write a review on Sally's website but they refused to allow my review. I'm guessing because I rated the product a 1. Apparently Sally doesn't allow negative reviews. Guess I'll be shopping elsewhere from now on.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

tl;dr - This kit is fine if you want a quick and cheap way to try the dip nails (acrylic powder and resin) format, but you'll want a better kit for the long-term. (And the ASP Color Quick Dip kit is a better trial kit anyway.)

The long version:

I've been doing my own powder dip nails at home for almost three years, and I am a BIG fan of that format. I have thin, weak nails that snag and break easily, and this format is the only thing that makes them strong enough to grow. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants gorgeous, strong nails, and doesn't mind exposure to nail glue and acetone.

Most dip nails starter kits cost $60-120, which is a LOT to shell out if you're not sure you like it.

I bought this kit when I ran out of the resin (gel base) and needed to get more in a hurry. It worked great for that purpose. The quality of the products are pretty solid. But it doesn't have everything you need to get long-lasting good results.

1) There's no primer.
When I don't use a primer, they start lifting in 5-7 days. When I do use a primer, I can go 2 weeks or more with no lifting. I hear lifting depends on your body chemistry, so that may not be an issue for you. But be aware that this kit won't give you an accurate wear test. (And good nail prep really helps too: be sure to push back your cuticles, lightly buff the surface of your nails, and remove oil with rubbing alcohol and acetone.)

2) They don't use a separate base & top liquid.
The base and top coats of a dip system are both resins, so you can technically use the same product for both. However, pro systems use a thicker formula for the base, which gives you a more even powder application, and a thinner product for the top, so you get a smoother, glassier finish. Also, since some of the powder inevitably gets into the base liquid (which can thicken it and give it a colored tinge), it's best to have a separate bottle for the top coat, so it stays nice and runny and clear.

3) There's no brush cleaner
As powder gets into the base, your brush is going to get clumpy. Pro kits usually include a brush cleaner, which makes a HUGE difference. That's not a big deal if you're only going to do one or two sets, but is a BIG hassle in the long-term.

4) It's just a clear powder
The biggest benefit of the powder dip format is that the powders come in colors. If you get a pink & white powders, you can do your own french manicure with a really nice smile line just by dipping, without having to paint or sculpt anything. And if you want colors, you can get strength and color in a single step. This kit only comes with a clear powder. So unless you love doing frequent polish changes, I'd recommend getting the ASP Color Quick Dip kit as your trial kit. That comes with pink and white powders, and "Passionate Pink", a pretty coral-ish hot pink.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I love this product. I got my nails done at the salon for years. Due to my employment I had to remove my nails and polish my natural nails which chipped all the time. So I tried this as a overlay to make the nail polish adhere better. It worked.. easy to apply and maintain. I will continue to use this product

This product was awful! They lasted one or two days. It took forever to file them down to be smooth and not bumpy.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

No, no, no. A total miss for me. I am a novice at applying artificial nails on myself so maybe it was my technique but these were horrible. I put them on and they all lifted off the next day. Not very durable at all! I've had acrylics many times from various nail salons and these were not even close. This was a kit so everything was included except the buffing block (which I wish I would have realized) so that part was nice and the kit was about $15 at Sally's. I was so excited to put them on, hoping that I had figured out a way to maybe save some money and have nice looking nails as mine just will not grow and look ugly. But I guess it just wasn't meant to be!