Super Cycle. The Best Ride in Town: Mindy Mylrea

No Image

1 review

on 1/26/2011 11:08:00 AM

Yes, I know the title is hilarious.

The workout is about 60 minutes long, with a 5-7 minutes cool-down. It is a Region 1 DVD. I ticked Ďbuy againí because I figure thatís the equivalent to using it regularly, and gave it 5 lippies because itís the perfect 60+ min. workout for me. Price and packaging were not an issue so those got average ratings.

Firstly, Mylrea is an upbeat, pleasant and fun instructor. She manages to be laid back and motivated at the same time. The workout takes place with her alone, on her stationary bike, shot from a side view, with occasional front shots, over-looking an ocean scene. Occasionally thereíll be a road view (from a camera mounted onto someoneís helmet, probably). She has speed and power bits (speed + tension) where she asks you to visualize a dog chasing your bike uphill or catching up with a friend because you slept in and were late for the bike ride. ; ) I donít find this annoying; itís just her style and she delivers it in an easygoing and humorous way.

I like the hour long format. Mylrea covers hill work and various intervals. She takes you on progressively longer hill climbs, does sprints, and the last push at the end before the cool down is a hill climb that lasts about five minutes. She takes posture breaks where she reminds you to loosen up your shoulders. Her focus on form is less consistent than Robert Shermanís (Cycle Reebok) but his tips are easily applied to anyone elseís cycling DVD, so itís not much of an issue for me.
As with Cycle Reebok, I think adjusting the tension on your bike and upping the speed can tailor the workout to suit a more seasoned rider. Iím a beginner so I donít go as fast as Mylrea on the climbs but feel motivated enough to push through initial discomfort and make improvements in strength and speed quickly, with regular use of her workout.

This DVD also gives you the option of doing the full workout or only the segment you wish: i.e. you can do hills one day and intervals the next and so on. But I use Robert Shermanís Cycle Reebok for short workouts and Mylrea for the full hour. The hour is well coordinated as a whole, so it seems a shame not to do it in its entirety. She encourages you to work hard, but is not intimidating or aggressive towards those of us new to spinning.

Her stretching and cool down segment is good; she does a few of the important stretches that Sherman does in Cycle Reebok. What I donít like are the longer, obviously yoga-type stretches, and thatís because yoga isnít my cup of tea! No worries, I just skip that bit.
All in all, great for the beginner Ė and a nice long workout. Iím a former runner and I enjoy this much more than running Ė just as much effort but no pain from impact or injuries so doing it regularly is not a problem.