New York Color IndividualEyes 941 Smokey Browns palette

New York Color IndividualEyes 941 Smokey Browns palette

3.4

on 7/28/2016 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I bought this palette in a local italian drugstore for about 4-5 euros as it was needed for a scene make up for a music video. I don't have a clue about how palettes work so before borrowing it to the video's mua I wanted to try it myself, maybe I could have learned something about you know, shades and stuff. I only use liquid eyeliner so it was a whole new world to me.
Well my eyeshadows experience stopped right there. This palette, the one you're looking in the picture, caused me the most violent rash + eczema I ever had in my life. I had a similar, yet worse one about 10 years ago due to a low quality, old mascara, and it shut my eyes like I was blind for about a week. Then, it was sheer gullibility; now, I really don't know how to justify it. I never, ever, ever had face skin problems except your dear old hormones issues, I'm not allergic to a single thing in the world, so it came out of the blue and traumatized me. The problem was somewhere among the shadows and that beige thing - a concealer maybe? The highlighter was the only thing that didn't cause reaction - but the reaction extended to brows. I had to take cortisone both cream and pills, and couldn't work for almost a week due to well...blindness. I looked like a weird cartoon.

Now, I'm not telling you to not buy it. Maybe it was a defective batch, maybe it was expired (but according to the tag it was not), maybe an ingredient among many is an enemy I never heard of. Both dermatologist and ophthalmologists couldn't get the exact origin of the troubles, but recommended to stay away from it just in case.

Anyway, I accorded myself the luxury of trying again and swatching it: I didn't lose anything really. The pigments are so weak, the concealer doesn't work, but the highlighter is quite strong, I would suggest it for strobing if you're in this kind of things. It is a cream so thick you really just need to dab a bit with your tips and apply it.

Overall, a bad, bad experience!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I believe that this product has been reformulated and also contains different shades than the original "Smokey For Blue Eyes" palette..?
I had several of these NYC "customized for your eye color" palettes 2, maybe 3 years ago and gave them away. They were not pigmented and not flattering shades for my brown eyes (yes I have brown eyes and bought the palette for "blue eyes" - I'm a rebel! lol ;D)

For reference I'm 31 years old with fair skin and dark brown hair & eyes. My "season" is considered a Clear Winter.

Several weeks ago while browsing the drugstore makeup at WalMart this palette caught my eye (specifically the Taupe shade which is the 2nd up from the bottom, and darkest shade which is a reddish-plum with hints of brown and is the shade at the top of the palette) I paid right around $5 and did not have high hopes for it when I got it back home. To my delightful surprise, these are amazing! All four shades are super pigmented, and even though these are marketed for blue eyes, it's one of the most flattering palettes on my brown eyes that I own.

The "Smokey For Blue Eyes" palette that I recently purchased (in May 2013) contains a deep champagne shade(perfect for applying all over the lid and up the brow bone), a basic taupe shade (it's what I'd consider a *true* taupe), a deep brown (not your average dark brown though, it's quite unique looking IMO), and a deep plum that contains hints of red and brown to it once applied and is VERY deep in color.
None of the shades are not matte, they all contain a hint of glimmer but it's NOT teenage glitter looking eye shadow or anything to be concerned about it you're an "all matte eyeshadow" kinda person ;) It seems to be just enough shimmer to add depth to the eyes.

The palette also contains what NYC calls a "Primer" and "illuminator" which are both creams. The primer does an ok job with helping improve the intensity of shadows, but does nothing for shadow creasing (I have VERY oily lids though so YMMV). The Illuminator/Highlighter is quite pretty though but not "one of a kind" or anything, just a basic creamy white shimmer that can be used on the eye area as well as other areas of the face for highlighting. I've used it on my cupid's bow and a dab on the middle of my nose and it's a nice touch.)

Overall I would totally recommend these if they're all as good in quality as the one I purchased & would also repurchase in a heartbeat. (If I can find an accurate photo of this palette via Google I'll upload it!)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So this product comes with a base that I use everyday. I think it has the perfect shade of grey for brown eyes. I sweep the grey over my lid. I blend the black into my crease. Next I apply the highlight under my brow. Next I use the illuminator it comes with over the highlight and it looks amazing!!!! It didn't cost that much and even if it did i would still buy it!

on 1/14/2012 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I really like this palette. I love it for the 2nd from the top shade. I have not found anything like it. I like to wear it as a crease color and it looks so good with anything(taupe, brown, purple). I agree the quality is not the greatest. But I just love that color. I bought a few of these palettes with the 40% sale so it was an amazing deal. I also like the eye primer I have used he primers that were similar and I paid a lot more.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I picked this cute looking palette up thinking wow it even comes with a primer/base ,a highlight ,as well as smokey shadows. What a disappointment since they are all of poor quility .ok fist of all there is hardly any pigment when I applied these and I have tried different shadow brushes,but when I swipe my finger in the shadow they seems to warm up to my finger and I see a lot of pigment and looks the way it should. I prefer WNW shadows by far these also felt scratchy to my lids something Im not used to feeling at all. This is one of those products that sits around and goes in the product graveyard..oh and the primer/base is not easy to get over my lid not smooth and the highlight reminds me of my barbie makeup when I was a child. This palette is horrendous to me and anyone that likes it I question their makeup knowledge lol but 4.99 I cant gripe to much

There are four gray- taupe shadows in this. Two medium shades, one cool and another warm shade, charcoal shimmer black and a light silvery shade for highlighting. I do love the colors,especially the medium shades.
This quad gives a nice soft daytime matte look if applied lightly and blended well. Not hard since its not as pigmented as WnW icon palettes or NYX but still nice. I like that the shimmer that shows up in the pan is for most part is VERY SUBTLE when applied but can be amp up for night with heavier application or a slightly damp brush for a super shimmer look. Most of the colors (with the exception of the lightest shade are more matte with tiny bits of soft shimmer here and there so it does not look drying .This is what I wanted the NYX palette in charcoal grays to be as far as color/tone. The primer is okay, very creamy. I had to be patient and let it dry some before applying the shadow . Primers seem to be a hit or miss with me anyway as I seemed to have a problem applying it evenly. I found it marked down at Target. Nice impulse buy in shades I have look for over a year.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was pleasantly surprised. The colors are really wonderful for a smokey eyes. I did it fast fast in the morning and the girls at my work said wow your smokey eye makeup is really cool. I really love the primer and the Illuminator which you can just put a dab in the inner corner of your eye... The only little thing was the staying power, it last for a good 5 hours but after it started to fade a little.. But overall, It is soo worth the money and I cant wait to go to WM and get a few more kits like this. Pick one up for the price you cant go wrong.... It's a pretty good buy!!!!

on 1/31/2011 10:20:00 PM

Very chalky, I think wet n' wild is far superior. There are way better taupes and smokey palettes out in drugstore land

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I think this is a fantastic product too! The first reviewer gave an excellent review of the colors. I think this kit creates a really sultry, sexy, classy smoky eye....not too much for daytime if you apply it lightly, and just really smoldering for evenings out. IMO, pigmentation of the shadows is perfect. I've even found that the primer works quite well. I have four of these individualeyes kits now, and I love all of them, and would highly recommend them.

I got this because it looked like my stila press shy palette (my most favorite palette in the world). it has a light silver, medium shimmer taupe, darker purply taupe (kind of like moth brown but less shimmer), and a sparkly black. it also contains a little pan of primer and a cream high lighter in a shimmery white color. with this palette you can make a natural look for every day or a super smokey look for going out. the pigmentation isn't the greatest in the world, worse than the better MAC formulas (frosts and veluxe pearls), but better than the worser MAC shadows (lustres and satins). but the colors are ideal for me, the primer works well, and I love the highlighter goop. it will be nice for travel. oh and it was $4.99 so it's no big deal if you lose it/hate it/break it/etc.