Paula's Choice Almost the Real Thing-Self Tanning Gel

Paula's Choice Almost the Real Thing-Self Tanning Gel

Not tested on animals

Water, Cyclomethicone (skin-conditioning agent/silicone), Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol (water- binding agents), Dihydroxyacetone (self-tanning agent), Dimethicone Copolyol (skin-conditioning agent/silicone), Diazolidinyl Urea (preservative), Caramel (natural coloring agent), Sodium Metabisulfite (stabilizer), Methylparaben, Propylparaben (preservatives).

on 7/27/2014 11:16:00 AM

This was amazing! It goes on with color temporarily so you can see where its being applied but this subsides within minutes. Blending is always critical with self tanners and this could streak but I thought it streaked less than 'jergens' and 'Mina organics' the other products that I tried. The color gathered slaround my knees because the skin is tougher there and color on my arms showed up within 2 days with barely any streaking. The formula is simple with only caramel and dyhodroxyaceyone as the chief coloring agents.My suggestions are to exfoliate and blend.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I got 5oz for $12.95. It was not on sale but just using powder bronzer on my face was not keeping up with matching my body. All self tanners seem to dry out my face like crazy or make it feel cloggy and slimy. I mainly bought this for my face since I can pretty much use any other self tanner on my body.
This is a gel that has a caramel tint that disappears once you put it on your skin, it is not moisturizing but it is not extremely drying like other self tanners, and it is most definitely not going to make you look like some bronze babe who just came back from vacation.
This gel is mostly for us glowing pale white skin ppl who need to warm up a skin a little bit. It is VERY gradual and very light.. in fact it is not even much of a difference where anyone besides yourself(or someone who really pays attention to you) will notice..
pros: fragrance free, non irritating, no breakouts
cons: very light/not dark enough, not moisturizing, no antioxidants
I put that I would buy this product again because unless i find a magical antioxidant rich non slimy face self tanner, it is fine for my face without causing any reactions, feeling slimy, breakouts. This plus the powder bronzer is enough for some color on my face.

on 5/3/2012 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was a little hesitant to try this because I have tried 'gel' self tanners before and they have been horrible and sticky and streaky.mthis is like a soft gel. It sinks in so well andmhasma bronze color to it. No streaking at all!! I followed e instructions and got a lovely natural looking tan. Perfect, perfect!!!

My favorite self-tanner!!! Believable color, applies smoothly, not streaky, color stays, smells ok. I think that's all the check points......

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I'm in love! I've used Jergens self-tanner for years but I just got a sample of this and it's amazing! The color is the perfect deep golden brown and looks so natural on. And it's basically scent-fee which is really unusual for a self-tanner. It's not expensive and I LOVE that you can try almost all Paula's Choice products for $.80 USD. Highly recommend and I can't wait to receive my full-sized product.

on 7/28/2011 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was my last try in a long line to find a self-tanner that would work on my pale skin. I got uneven results just like all the other ones I have tried. No matter how much I exfoliate, I still get the uneven areas. Apparently, self-tanners and my skin are not compatible.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This seems to have mixed reviews. I for one did not like this. The smell was not bad and did not really smell like a normal tanner until several hours had passed. The application process was very long. It took quite a while to apply this and even after applying it took quite a while to dry. This had one of the longest dry times I have ever had to do for a self tanner. The next morning after I applied I did indeed have a tan, but it was horrible. The color was dark but had an orange tint to it. It also was so splotchy. I followed everything to a tee but I still had splotches. Those splotches were hard to get rid of. The lasting power on this was actually quite a bit longer then some others and that ended up being bad being it looked bad. This was alright, for me it just did not work well enough to keep trying with it.

on 6/22/2011 9:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

:( I was so excited to get this, I bought two bottles before I even tried it. The self tanner does have some amazing qualities - first off, it is fragrance free which is rare for self tanners. The self-tanner smell does come after a few hours, but this is going to happen no matter what, or else the self tanner doesnt work. Definitely much more bearable than any other tanner I've tried. Secondly, your skin fees so incredibly soft the next morning. The problem lies with the results. I could deal with the gel taking over an hour to dry, however my results were very orange, uneven, and splotchy. I don't have this problem with my Life Brand cheapy drug store tanner, and I think it may be because the colour guide is much lighter with the PC version. I do blend very well and apply the same way, so I'm not sure why so uneven. My dry patches came out completely white, whereas with my other tanner they normally tan fine or go on the dark side, if not moisturized enough beforehand. I will continue to use the two bottles I have purchased but probably just on my face...I need something fragrance fee because my skin is extremely sensitive but I really do look fake. I'm very surprised...I thought I would at least get a better result than from drugstore, but no.

on 6/13/2011 1:44:00 PM

Hallelujah, a self-tanner without an unbearable odor! While applying this, I didnít smell anything. As the tanning ingredient began to work over the next hour, I did notice the self-tanning odor - but at a fraction of the odor generated by the many brands I've tried previously. With other brands, even after bathing I've had to change bed linens the next morning. This time after bathing, no smelly sheets. To me, application was easy because the product glides on. I applied a light to medium layer of tanner over Cervae body lotion. Like others have mentioned, the tint of the tanner is negligible. I felt sticky until I showered 4 hours later. Lucky for me, not dressing for an hour as recommended was not a problem. The results - a really natural looking tan, which is not always easy to achieve on my fair skin. My natural tan is a golden brown and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference. Other self-tanners I have used have had an uneven "speckled" look on my legs after the 3rd or 4th day or so as they wear away. This is the 7th day since applying PC, I still look like I have a tan and no speckles. I have ordered more tubes. Happy tanning!

on 4/28/2011 8:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this self tanner and I don't even know how many tubes I've gone through. I understand this self tanner doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me. It's the only one I use.
-----
PROS:
- It gives me a lot of colour, even after the first application (for referance; I'm about an NC20). Other self tanner I've tried barely seemed to show up even after 4 or 5 applications. When I use this self tanner two days in a row, I look more tanned than I would if I'd been on a sunny vacation for 2 weeks. I've never been able to tan easily, and now I don't tan (naturally) at all anymore. I only use this self tanner; way easier and way way less damaging than laying in the sun for days in a row.
- It CAN give you a lot of colour, but if you use just a very thin layer, the results will be more subtle. This self tanner thus works for people who want a more subtle hint of colour, and those (like me in the summer time) like to see some obvious results.
- I can use it on my face without irritation.
- It doesn't smell bad in my opinion. Not as bad as other self tanners at least. It doesn't smell particularly good through either. I smell a hint of coconut, I think.
- Once the product is soaked in, it makes your skin feel pretty soft.
- The price is reasonable in my opinion. Especially because I love the results - my tan is better than ever before!
- It immedietly gives a hint of colour; the gel itself is slightly tinted. I don't find this useful to prevent streaks (it's not THAT tinted). But it's nice to get some immediet results.
-------
CONS:
- The application process is a little time consuming. You have to put on a thin layer of body milk, wait for it to dry, and then apply this self tanning product. I use sunscreen instead of body milk (if I apply in the morning of course).
- I have dry skin, so I have a tendency to put on a lot of moisturizing body lotion and sunscreen. When applying this product over all that, it can take a while to soak in. My skin does need it though; if I put on too little moisturizer, my skin gets dry after a few hours.
- I use less of my chemical exfoliants, because my tan will not last at all when using these products every night. This isn't a bad idea in the summer though, because eventhough I don't sunbath, I'll still get more sun than during the winter time.
--------
I will buy this product again and again. I haven't found a self tanner that gives such good results. Some people say that this product gives you streaks. Honestly, it's the application that gives you streaks, not the gel itself. Just scrub in the shower, apply a thin moisturizer first, let that dry, and then really rub this product in. I use a pretty thick layer when I want to see fast results (bikini time for example). As long as you take your time and rub it in, there will be no streaks. I've never had streaks with this product. The trickiest part in to get right in my opinion is my lower arms, because of the crossover from tan to white that you have to mimick with the gel. Ah well, I just scrub the little mistakes away!
------
I love the results I get, but I still don't give this a 5/5. I wish it was moisturizing in itself, so I wouldn't have to use a moisturizer underneath. But I guess this is also what makes it work for oilier skin types; you might not need a moisturizer.