Paula's Choice RESIST Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser

Paula's Choice RESIST Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser

4.1

Not tested on animals

Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient thickener), Decyl Glucoside (cleansing agent), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), PEG-20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate (cleansing agent/emulsifier), PPG-20 Methyl Glucose Ether, Methyl Gluceth-20 (skin-conditioning agents),Glyceryl Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol (thickeners), Polyacrylamide (binding agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (soothing agent), Sapindus Mukurossi (Soapberry) Peel Extract (foaming agent), Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate (cleansing agent), C13-14 Isoparaffin (thickener), Laureth-7 (emulsifier), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Citric Acid (pH adjuster), Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

on 4/23/2017 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Over the past year and a half, I switched to using physical sunscreen because chemical ones were irritating my skin. Unfortunately, physical sunscreens tend to dry my skin, so I've had to switch to more emollient cleansers, which I tend to use at night. I tried a full bottle of Paula's Choice Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser in the hopes it would be a good solution for me.

I found the texture to be amazing--creamy and elegant, but not too lotion-like. Upon adding some water, the cleanser becomes fabulously cushiony and slippery, which is ideal for not pulling and dragging on skin. It is fragrance free, with many skin-beneficial ingredients. The product is not drying, but also doesn't make me extra oily, which is a nice balance. On the surface, there is nothing to dislike about this cleanser.

On the less positive side, I found the cleanser to sometimes be irritating, probably due to an ingredient sensitivity. I also needed quite a bit to cover both face and neck. Given the hefty price, I find this is a poor value for money. The biggest negative for me is that I did not see much difference between this cleanser and less expensive ones that don't have "anti-aging" properties. In fact, I find Paula's Choice own Skin Recovery cleanser to be much better because it is more soothing and a tiny bit goes much further.

One final nit--although the packaging feels heavy and luxurious, it is kind of a pain to handle. I know that people were begging for pump dispensers, but I find that the product thickness means having to put a lot of pressure on the pump, and the tall, narrow bottle can easily slip. As an alternative, holding the bottle to pump doesn't work well with damp hands. I definitely prefer PC's shampoo-bottle style for facial cleansers. I probably will not repurchase, but do think this product is worth trying.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have dry, rosacean, acne-prone, sensitive, aging skin. Because of my dry skin, I only use creamy cleaners. (I have tried several oil cleansers and have never found one that works with my skin.) I wear foundation and sunscreen so I need a cleanser that cuts through them, without the need for double cleansing which irritates my skin. My favorite cleanser ever (REN Ultra Moisture Cleansing Milk) has been discontinued so I am trying out a few. This is a lovely cleanser. My favorite way to use it is to apply it to my face dry (don't wet face first), then remove with a damp muslin washcloth, then splash to rinse. This cleanser rinses very clean - no greasy residue left. It removes makeup and sunscreen beautifully, without the need for a second cleanse. (Note that I use a separate eye makeup remover, Sens'Eyes by MakeUp ForEver, which works great.) This is a much more substantial cleanser than something like Cetaphil or Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser - those do nothing to remove sunscreen or makeup. This product does, but also doesn't overstrip my skin or cause any irritation, rosacea flushing or breakouts. I appreciate the fact that it's fragrance-free. The price feels a bit steep ($30 USD incl tax), especially in light of Paula's schtick about the cosmetics/skincare industry overpricing their products. Overall, I really like this cleanser and do plan to keep using it for now. Once we're in the heart of winter, I will need a cleanser that adds moisture back, which this one doesn't do. For that, I will keep searching.....

on 9/5/2016 10:36:00 AM

I agree with the reviewer below who compared this to Cetaphil. To me, it feels like a higher end version of Cetaphil. This feels more luxurious to use, the bottle is much nicer, and this does leave me feeling a little cleaner - but they seem very similar. On days that I wear makeup, I feel like I need a good oil cleanser to get everything off. Otherwise, this is pretty decent.

on 6/2/2016 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This cleanser didn't do much for my skin. I always use the EL Double Wear foundation and even after washing my face with this cleanser twice, it still left so much make up! Before, I used the Skin Recovery cleanser which removed my make up way better. So, going back to that one. Love the packaging tho!

on 11/11/2015 2:54:00 PM

cleans make up off well and does not leave my skin oily nor dry. howewer I personally prefer the foaming version.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Love this cleanser - it gets rid of make-up and oil without leaving my poor face parched and crying out for moisturiser.

Lippy deducted for packaging - really not a fan of PC's dated 'Alexis Colby' school of cosmetic design. She's moved away from the centred/serif-font look of old, although this cleanser still features it (the rest of the Resist line has a left-justified design, which looks a little more modern).

But that's a small point, and doesn't deflect from the fact that this is a very good product.

on 6/18/2015 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Unfortunately, this product didn't do anything for me. It is so drying and left my skin feeling not pleasant at all.

I used only Paula's Choice Resist line for 6 months. It just dried out my skin even more and made it look so dull. The items I used were: Resist Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser, Resist Cellular Day Moisturizer with spf 25, Resist Non-Greasy Moisturizer, Resist Wrinkle Repair Retinol serum, Skin Perfecting 2% BHA, Resist c15 super booster, Resist Toner, Resist Foundation, Resist Daily Smoothing Treatment 5% AHA, Resist Weekly Resurfacing Treatment 10% AHA. With all of this, I not only saw no results, my skin looked worse. I like to enjoy my skincare. That is huge for me. These products bored me. I ended up throwing what wasn't used up in the garbage after giving it a good 6 months. In summary, they were so boring and ineffective. Fortunately, I am using new products now that have made a huge difference. I am enjoying my skincare routine again!

on 7/27/2014 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I HAD THE SAMPLE.
This reminded me a lot of 'Cetaphils' cleanser. It was as if they took the traditional 'Cetaphil' cleanser and mixed it with the oily skin type cleanser. This has an elegant feeling and can remove light makeup but for heavier makeup an extra pump would be needed.

on 6/15/2014 5:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Very very impressed with this cleanser- I struggle with cleansers. usually if it removes the oil, then I get dry, irritated skin, with seborrheic dermatitis, and if it does not dry me out, then I breakout. This cleanses nicely and does not dry or clog my skin. Can't believe I've finally found such an effective product!

on 4/5/2014 10:45:00 AM

I have been using this cleanser for a month now, and I couldn't be happier with it. I have extremely dry, sensitive skin and I wear contact lenses. I have always struggled with a burning sensation when any type of cleansing product gets near my eyes (even though I rinse so much before opening my eyes that my sink area needs to be toweled down when I'm finished), and my skin has always felt dry after cleansing with other products. The PC Resist cleanser has no drying effects and I am thrilled to say that it easily removes my eye makeup without any burning. I do not wear foundation or mascara, so I don't even really need one full pump. I highly recommend it. I tried the CeraVe Hydrating cleanser for a while, but my skin feels even more hydrated with this one.