NYX Professional Makeup Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
NYX Professional Makeup Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

3.9

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Dimethicone, Beeswax, Glyceryl Behenate / Eicosadioate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone / Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Silica, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Isohexadecane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Parfum. May Contain: CI77019 (Mica) / CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI15850 (D&C Red 6 Na. Salt), CI15850 (D&C Red 7 Ca Lake), CI15985:1 (FD&C Yellow 6 Al Lake), CI19140:1 (FD&C Yellow 5 Al Lake), CI45410 (D&C Red 28 Al Lake), CI77491 (Iron Oxide Red), CI77492 (Iron Oxide Yellow), CI77499 (Iron Oxide Black), CI77742 (Manganese Violet), CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

on 1/29/2019 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I saw this recommended too many times and had to try it. I am super pale and have very full lips so anything hinky will show up and will dominate my look. For that reason I tend to be really snobbish about my lipsticks.

Nyx matte lip cream in Cannes is a perfect pinky brown every day look for a paleface like me. Easy application, creamy feel, nice dry down to matte and it stays put. They have lots of lovely shades but Cannes is an easy go-to for every day. One thing I really love about these matte cream lipsticks is I can skip the lip liner with them. If you have a steady hand you can put them on perfectly and they don't budge. They hold up well, but if you do need to refresh a quick second application will blend right in with whatever was still there without any funky lines. That's super nice.

That being said, avoid any of the darker shades. They are streaky disasters. I love a dramatic dark lip, but nothing is uglier than an uneven vampy lip color. I don't like deep burgundy purple shades much anyway (rock on, vampire girls, but I can't do it), but if you do go there, I recommend you spend the money on something quality unless you really want to achieve a splotchy mortuary effect.

There are plenty of YouTube videos with swatches of these colors, so check those out and you can find someone with your skin tone to compare.

Did I mention they are CHEAP as CHIPS??? Six dollars. What??? Six. Dollars. Steal.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have a couple of shades of the NYX Soft Matte Lip Cremes. I generally like these best for bolder lips because they are more comfortable than a liquid lip, but stay put better than a regular lipstick. They are a little drying on my lips and I like using a lip balm under.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

The first couple of Soft Matte Lip Creams that I tried when they were relatively new weren't really something that I cared for, but now I have tried them again and fell in love. I think I was choosing the wrong shades before. I have several of the softer neutrals and nudes now, and I see why there has been so much hype surrounding this line. My favorites so far are Cannes, San Diego, San Francisco, Beijing, and San Paolo (which is not neutral, but I love it anyway.) They feel amazing on the lips, they aren't overly drying (though I find that I can't wear them several days in a row), and they last pretty well. I am suspicious that maybe NYX have tweaked the formula a tiny bit, but maybe I just wasn't ready for the amazingness that is Soft Matte Lip Cream before.

on 2/10/2018 6:52:00 PM

I was pleasantly surprised by this product. I'm not a fan of the matte lip fad, but wanted something long-lasting. This is a great happy medium--it's a touch matte, only a little drying, and lasts a long time. I can't say I love that all NYX stuff smells like cupcakes, but I guess it's a small trade-off for well-priced, quality products. I have this in Cannes, which is a nice rosy shade. For some reason I have a terrible time choosing colors with NYX, though--swatches and tubes are not great indicators of final color, and the warmer tones always come out a bit too orange or brown. Pros: long-lasting, good value. Cons: a bit drying, colors can be tough to choose.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have these in the shades Athens, Cairo, Cannes (my personal favourite) and Stockholm. Nice and lightweight, they don't move around and you can eat and drink without worrying about them. They also look lovely layered on top of each other for an ombre lip look. So affordable, I would definitely repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have this in the shade Istanbul and its legitimately the prettiest, most natural looking pink on me. I could wear this every single day it is so flattering. Texture wise I'd say it's closer to a whip like their lid/lip lingeries but it isn't drying and won't create that butthole look, and I find the pigment can be a little more intense for me so I only dab a little bit in the middle of my lips and use a Qtip to spread it out

Giiiiiiirl. I purchased Stockholm based on the recommendation of Roxette Arisa's YouTube channel, and I'm not mad about it at all. It's the perfect every day nude. I can even wear it on no make up days when I want my lips to look "natural but better." It has a nice whipped formula, which I like. My only downfall is it crumbles in the corners of my lips, so I definitely have to re-apply periodically. For the record though, I'm generally a gloss or lipstick kind of gal, but as for matte lips go, this is HG. I did try Transylvania in the fall for a nice vampy lip and SAVE YOUR MONEY. It's a beautiful colour but applies SO streaky. I had to get multiple coats and it still came out streaky. Never again.

I'm almost out of Stockholm but think this time I might try "London" as it seems to be a lot of people's HG nude lip.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I would give this 4.5/5 lippies if I could, this formula is the closest to perfect liquid lipstick I've ever tried!

I have 3 shades of Nyx Soft Matte Lip Creams: Budapest, Copenhagen, and Moscow.
I'll include a general review common to the 3 shades I own, followed by particularities I experienced with different shades, as well as brief comparisons to other liquid lipsticks I own.

GENERAL REVIEW
Overall, the three of them wear very similarly. There is some noticeable fading at the inner rim after 3-4 hours if I wear them alone; however, I sometimes use a lip liner all over my lips as a base with a lot of my lipsticks b/c I try to maximize wear time (for reference, I wore with essence "satin mauve" lip liner). In conjunction with the lip liner, the wear time increases to about 7 hours on me, with almost no fading.
All shades lasted through normal eating and drinking. I noticed some transfer on my coffee cup, but little difference on my actual lips. However, I am often teased by friends/family for being a particularly dainty eater, since I tend to take small bites, so idk if that is a contributing factor.
The SMLC are very comfortable to wear. They did not dry out my lips at all (with or without lip liner). It feels like they're part of my lips and not just a weird membrane sitting on top. I felt slight dryness around the inner rim of my lips after about 6 hours of wear though. I did not notice any particular scent.

INDIVIDUAL SHADE REVIEWS
- "Budapest": pink/mauve on me. I have worn this one the most, both with and without lip liner. It performed pretty well without lip liner. I didn't notice significant fading. I wore it over lip liner one night and it lasted through eating and drinking, talking, and about 7.5 hours and I didn't need to touch up all night. A single coat gives me full coverage.
- "Copenhagen": This is a dark red with a purplish undertone on me. It is slightly patchier than the other two SMLC I have, so I apply two coats. I tried it once with lip liner and once without lip liner. Both times, unlike the other two, it had some more noticeable fading after eating. It was fine with drinking coffee though.
- "Moscow": Deep navy blue. I only wore this twice, both times with lip liner. It is a very bold colour and I needed an occasion to wear it. It lasted 6-7 hours before I touched up, and it did not bunch up at all when I applied the touch-up coat. Surprisingly, it didn't apply patchily at all, considering blue can be a tricky lipstick colour. I could get away with just one coat, but I prefer two to even out the colour, not taking any chances with something as bold as blue. Stains a bit more than the other two after removal, but a little scrub with warm water fixes that.

COMPARISONS
I like the SMLC a lot more than the Nyx Lip Lingerie. Both dry matte, but the LL has a dryer and more hard-core matte finish than the SMLC. Not that SMLC isn't matte, it truly is matte, it's just not a "flat" matte, if that makes sense? Anyways, SMLC overall lasted pretty well with food and drink, whereas LL had very noticeable fading for me after eating.
I think the finish of the SMLC is more comparable to the Too Faced Melted liquid lipsticks or the Maybelline Color Jolts.

on 8/19/2017 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I have strange relationship with these. I LOVE some of the colors, the smell is nice, they are so comfy to wear but they just are so patchy and they don't last on my lips at all. Berlin is my fav shade but the maintenance it requires it annoying. I probably will repurchase because I have no self-control.

These are some of the OG liquid lipsticks and they are still great. Some of the best in my collection. They're very mousse-y and not liquidy at all. I have the colors Havana (a dark blue/purple), Vancouver (a very dark plum), and Copenhagen (deep, vampy red). Out of these, Havana is the most difficult to build up to full opacity, and Copenhagen is the easiest to work with. Here are some of my thoughts:

+ You can't beat the price and the quality. Pick these up at Ulta during a sale.
+ Huge color range.
+ These don't dry down completely, but they have less transfer than many other liquid lipsticks I've tried, and they remain very comfortable throughout the day.
+ They all layer really nicely.
+ They smell like vanilla or cake or something. Nothing strong, but pleasant.
+ Copenhagen is GORGEOUS. One of my favorite lipsticks, both for the color and the formula.
+ I've worn these with and without a lip liner. They work fine either way, though I prefer to wear these with a clear lip liner just in case. You know how it is with dark lipsticks.

- These are not completely transfer proof, though they don't advertise themselves as such.
- Some colors are difficult to work with. Havana has a lot of potential but it will never look completely blue/purple on me. Too sheer.

I will repurchase Copenhagen, and I will be trying more colors. These are really, really great and they outperform many more expensive lipsticks, both drugstore and high end.

Popular Lips Products