NYX Professional Makeup Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

NYX Professional Makeup Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Dimethicone, Beeswax, Glyceryl Behenate / Eicosadioate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone / Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Silica, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Isohexadecane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Parfum. May Contain: CI77019 (Mica) / CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI15850 (D&C Red 6 Na. Salt), CI15850 (D&C Red 7 Ca Lake), CI15985:1 (FD&C Yellow 6 Al Lake), CI19140:1 (FD&C Yellow 5 Al Lake), CI45410 (D&C Red 28 Al Lake), CI77491 (Iron Oxide Red), CI77492 (Iron Oxide Yellow), CI77499 (Iron Oxide Black), CI77742 (Manganese Violet), CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

I was excited about trying this product and I'm glad to say that my high expectations were met. These are great - and this is coming from someone who doesn't generally like wearing lip products. I simply don't like how lip gloss and most lipsticks just sit on your lips. These are a whole other beast. They apply wet and glossy so there's some wiggle room to move it around but they dry down to a very pigmented, beautiful, matte finish. They don't budge (even when I forget to use lip liner)) but they do transfer a little bit (not nearly as much as lipglosses and lipsticks). As mentioned, these can be drying (but not nearly as much as other matte lipsticks) so pre-applying a good lip balm is nearly essential. I like to use EOS Spring Fruit because it isn't too slippery and goes well with the matte finish of this lipstick. Beware though - applying a very slippery lipbalm on top may cause the color to creep into lip lines making this look kind of bad (especially when you are using some of the lighter colors, like Milan). This happened when I used Aquafina lip balm but Cherry Culture's bubble gum lip balm worked great (I got it for free when I ordered this from CherryCulture - not affiliated). I have four colors but my absolute favorite is San Paolo - heck it's my favorite lip color ever. Buying all the colors in a collection is something I very rarely do but I am definitely going back and getting the rest of the colors because I never like a lip product this much.

on 2/25/2014 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

These are pretty damn wonderful.
I'd classify these as a liquid matte lipstick - packaged like a typical gloss, tidy, slim tube with a soft doe foot applicator, these hold a generous 8mL of product (about double a normal bullet lipstick) and apply very easily but may require a teeny tiny bit of effort to make them completely smooth. They "set" or dry down within about 20 - 30 seconds so you've got plenty of time to make sure your edges are tidy and even. If you have already dry lips, yep, these are going to settle into lines a wee bit and perhaps won't be the most flattering thing ever on really chapped areas, so that's something to keep in mind.
If you're a regular balm or gloss wearer, these might wear off a bit sooner if you layer other products over or under them but they usually last a good 4-5 hours on me and last reasonably well through a coffee or cold drink. Once you eat anything juicy or oily, these will wear off like a normal lipstick.
And they smell delicious!
The shades I have are...
Milan - light/medium dusky neutral pink
Sao Paulo - moderate berry mauve
Monte Carlo - semi sheer, slightly cool toned cherry red
Antwerp - warm peachy pink
Ibiza - vibrant coral rose
Prague - gorgeous deep plum berry
Cannes - pinky beige nude
There's a good mix of soft and wearable MLBB shades and vivid, striking pops of colour so there's something to suit just about everyone... if you like matte finish lip products (or even if you don't!), you should definitely check these out.

on 1/22/2011 2:31:00 PM

Pros: very emollient and soft for a matte lip product, applies like a lip gloss but they are not gloppy, highly pigmented (Monte Carlo is my favorite but very, very dark)
Cons: color are difficult to interpret on website (what you see is not necessarily what you get), not as long lasting as most matte lipsticks (but longer lasting than lip gloss)
Recommendation: use a lip pencil first and cover the whole lip for longer wear, get them at eBay (shipping is less)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

In all fairness I should disclaim that while I knew this was a matte lip color prior to purchase, I did not realize it was a wet to dry lip color. To that point, I will probably get nailed to the cross for saying this, but I do not like this product and I will never repurchase. I bought it thinking I could mix it with a lip gloss or more cream based lipstick. Not! This crap sucked the life out of any other color I mixed this with- even lip gloss! Another bugger about this product is the fact I could not keep this crap off my teeth! Now, I will say the colors are amazing- I purchased Abu Dabe & London, and I can honestly say the colors rendered on my lips true to how they appeared in the bottle. Initially I thought I was having a coming to Jesus moment, until the dry spell began. If you are into the flesh/pink/brown/nude look but not I see dead people nude look, then you might really like these colors! Final analysis: For those of you who are into the Kyleigh Jenner matte lip craze, you will probably really love this product. However, if you are like me and hate dry lips and 1990s 90210 matte lips, do not purchase this product. I repeat- do not purchase this product. Danger! Danger! This is going back to ULTA, stat!

PS- To the beauties who love the matte craze it looks very pretty, it is just not for me. :)

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I hate the butter gloss with all of my soul and have a love/hate relationship with the matte lipstick, but this is just about perfect. Lemme tell you why!

I like day to day makeup to be stress free. I want to put it on, and not live in a state of paranoia, terrified that it has deteriorated into a crappy hot mess. The soft matte lip cream achieves this.

No lipliner necessary, just put it on. Fewer products? Yes please. I don't want to go through seven steps to make lipstick stay on my mouth just for it to come off because I had the audacity to get hungry and eat. This will come off when you eat, but who cares? It's easy to put back on and doesn't require a support unit of five other products to stay on.

Lasting power: it has it. I apply two thin coats, and it dries to a long lasting, minimal transfer finish after about five minutes. It's so nice not having to worry that my lip product has disappeared into the parallel dimension that many seem to vanish to.

Lastly, texture. Unlike many matte lip products, this doesn't make my lips feel like crumpled paper. Do they feel ultra moisturized? No. They feel like pretty standard lips. It feels like you don't have anything on your lips, really. I can dig it.

Overall, best matte lip product I've tried thus far.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I decided to try these out after all the hype behind them being as good as high end liquid lipsticks & was sadly disappointed. I have the pink shades tokyo, milan, & instanbul. They are different colors than whats in the tube, especially milan which looks like barbie pink lipstick on. I really do not enjoy the formula on these at all, they are "soft"like the name implies but its a weird texture. The best way to describe it would be like whipped cream after you leave it out & it melts. Its really hard to get an even coat of this stuff & it transfers like no other. This also includes to the outside of your mouth even with lip liner. This stuff melts & smudges everywhere & it never really seems to set itself into a matte, always has the same consistency it had in tube. I found it this way with all of them. I would not recommend these unless you really like reapplying your makeup every two seconds or having lipstick on the sides of your mouth and/or face. The one thing i can say i did like about this product is that it does smell good, like vanilla cupcakes. Also if you are looking for something else from nyx their liquid suede has a much better formula than the soft mattes & actually stays on.

on 1/16/2016 11:57:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have 4 of these, Copenhagen, Monte Carlo, Stockholm, and Transylvania. The colours are all lovely, but the pigmentation, ease of application, and wearability varies with each shade. Stockholm is the winner of the four (a warm peachy nude), it goes on opaque with one coat, dries to matte relatively quickly, wears evenly, doesn't transfer much, and is not overly drying on the lips. The same cannot be said for the others, unfortunately. Monte Carlo and Copenhagen tie for second place (a deep cool red, and a deep reddish plum, respectively), more care is required for an even application, some areas might need to be gone over twice to get full opacity, and lips need to be carefully exfoliated, moisturized, and free of anything even slightly greasy before applying (such as oil, balm, etc). When it comes to overdrawing, these two are not forgiving. The overdrawn area will always be lighter than the rest of your lips, so if you want to overdraw, you will need to do so with a lipliner first. These two are more drying than Stockholm, but they still wear fairly evenly, and while there is some transfer, it's not terrible. Transylvania (blackened plum), unfortunately, is a fail. The pigmentation is not up to par, you need at least 2 coats to get full opacity, and even then it has a tendency to look a bit patchy, and once that second coat is on, it's so drying it's hardly bearable. Translyvania takes the longest to dry, and even when dry there's a comparable amount of transfer to that of a regular lipstick. I was greatly disappointed in Transylvania; my search for a good quality long-wearing dark lipstick continues.
Overall, NYX makes a decent liquid-to-matte lipstick. Not amazing, but not bad. I liked the thick consistency of the formula, and of course the cake batter smell is delightful. I will definitely repurchase Stockholm when I run out, I will probably repurchase Copenhagen and Monte Carlo, but I will not repurchase Transylvania. I am intrigued by the newly released shades, and have my eye on Rome, Vancouver, and Moscow in particular.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

One of the best matte lip products I've tried. Very comfortable on the lips. Doesn't give you that wrinkly "butt hole" lip look if you know what I mean, lol. Sorry for that visual. The product melts into lips and sets into a beautiful wash of colour. I have Stockholm.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I love the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams. I currently own four: Berlin, Budapest, Vancouver and Copenhagen. Out of the four, my favorites are listed in the order that I wrote them. The staying power on these is not the greatest because on me they are not long wearing and I have to re-apply often, but the colors are so beautiful and the matte wear is so comfortable that I will not even take off a star for that. Honestly, I HIGHLY prefer the demi-matte lip cream formula to the matte formula of a product such as say...Colourpop Ultra Matte or Wet n Wild's now discontinued Megalast Liquid Lip Colors. I simply cannot tolerate a lip that is so matte that it dries your lips out. My skin and lips are dry enough already, who has time for anything that makes it even worse? I already single-handedly keep Carmex in business.

Anyways, on to the reviews!

Berlin was my first one of these creams. In the tube it shows up as a straight deep brown, but on me (woman of color, dominant undertone yellow) it is a brown with a very rich auburn/deep red cast to it. I absolutely love Berlin and wear it often as an everyday color. I just ran out (didn't know it was possible to run out of a lip cream, but I did it) and obviously I'm going straight to Target to buy another tube.

I just purchased Budapest and I already love it. I tend to stay far away from medium pinks and mauves, but I made an exception for this one. It was between Rome and Budapest, and Budapest won. On me its a dark orchid pink, and it too looks wonderful as an everyday lip color. I've been wearing it to work a lot as it is very understated.

Vancouver. Ahhh, Vancouver. City of towering, snowcapped mountains, beautiful and spectacular ocean views, dramatic coastlines and towering evergreens, and a fitting name for one of the more dramatic lip creams in this collection. I wouldn't be who I am if I didn't love a dark, moody, damn near goth lip color, and Vancouver is absolutely perfect. As a true daughter of the 90's, I cannot resist a deep, dark, blackened purple lip. Vancouver is that color that you're afraid to wear out of the house. It's that color that you pick up and put down over and over again, countless times until you finally toss it in the cart and say, 'fuck it, i'll find someplace to wear it to." And then you find that place and you wear it. You wear it out once and you decide it isn't that bad. Then you wear it again. Before you know it you're wearing it out on dates and scaring small children at coffee shops. That, my friends, is Vancouver. A fitting name for a fitting color well worthy of the city it's named for. Vancouver probably should be my favorite (and truth be told it is, but I'm simply too lazy to go back and re-write my entire review). Either way, I do not wear this to work. If I did, I wouldn't have a job. Hell, maybe I should wear it to work.

Copenhagen is the last color I have, and it is my least favorite. I purchased this color because I was hoping it would be a medium dark purple, one that is suitable for work. Copenhagen, on me, is not a medium dark purple, but a very red toned berry color. This would be ok, but I'm not really a fan of a berry colored lip. I do not do middle of the road lip colors. I stay on one of two extremes-dark, and darker. The farthest I go into light lips is a dark mauve. Either way, Copenhagen doesn't get much, if any wear time from me.

As far as price goes, there's far more lip creams that you could do worse to buy for what these cost. $5.99 is not a lot, and since I love the demi-matte formula that all of the colors in this line share, I don't consider these to be splurges at all. A word to the smell-to me they smell awful....like some girly cake. I'm not really a girl for sweets, so maybe that's why the smell annoys me, but it is very artificial and sweet. If scents bother you, be cautious when you get these, because they all smell like cake. Why I have only four, God only knows. Maybe it's because all the light pinks and reds scare me away. Who knows. All i know is, if you've been sleeping on the soft mattes and you love a light matte lip, pick one or two of these up. They're wonderful and I promise you will love them.

on 8/25/2016 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This product has to be one of the best lip products ever from the drugstore. The durability as well as the finish of this product is amazing. I have it in the colour Stockholm which is a coral nude and it's absolutely stunning! In my opinion, a little goes a long way. I like to make sure there isn't a lot of product on the wand before applying because that way it is less likely for it to transfer. I've eaten with it and had it on for hours and didn't need to reapply! But don't eat oily things with this product like any other liquid/matte lipsticks!