NYX Professional Makeup Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

NYX Professional Makeup Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Dimethicone, Beeswax, Glyceryl Behenate / Eicosadioate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone / Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Silica, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Isohexadecane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Parfum. May Contain: CI77019 (Mica) / CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI15850 (D&C Red 6 Na. Salt), CI15850 (D&C Red 7 Ca Lake), CI15985:1 (FD&C Yellow 6 Al Lake), CI19140:1 (FD&C Yellow 5 Al Lake), CI45410 (D&C Red 28 Al Lake), CI77491 (Iron Oxide Red), CI77492 (Iron Oxide Yellow), CI77499 (Iron Oxide Black), CI77742 (Manganese Violet), CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

on 1/22/2011 2:31:00 PM

Pros: very emollient and soft for a matte lip product, applies like a lip gloss but they are not gloppy, highly pigmented (Monte Carlo is my favorite but very, very dark)
Cons: color are difficult to interpret on website (what you see is not necessarily what you get), not as long lasting as most matte lipsticks (but longer lasting than lip gloss)
Recommendation: use a lip pencil first and cover the whole lip for longer wear, get them at eBay (shipping is less)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought this product in a bright red color called Monte Carlo. I really love it so far; it applies as a soft, creamy gloss that dries and I don't even feel it! It's stayed on for several hours, through a meal and several beverages. Once again, it's VERY matte, and probably rather drying over time. I think that when I wear this out I'll add some lip balm on top to keep my lips moisturized.

I will definitely look into purchasing this product in different colors!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Testing these on the back of your hand really doesn't work, and your lips have different skin so they set better on lips. On my hand the color just slides around and is sheer. I would say they are semi matte, and depending on how dry your lips are normally you'll have to adjust how you wear these. Apply a good balm beforehand and there should be no issues. I like the shade selection. These are now featured in the Ulta NYX display shelf. I'm going to try them out for another week and update. These have silicone and beeswax, so I hope the formula has been perfected or else there's no way they are long lasting. Update: These are very long lasting, but once you apply them press your lips together. Don't rub them, just press them together. Then the color will even out and set for the day. Update: I love the Sephora Cream Lip Stains even more! They are so pigmented and don't dry my lips as much as these, plus there are some great bright shades not included in the NYX shades.

I was excited about trying this product and I'm glad to say that my high expectations were met. These are great - and this is coming from someone who doesn't generally like wearing lip products. I simply don't like how lip gloss and most lipsticks just sit on your lips. These are a whole other beast. They apply wet and glossy so there's some wiggle room to move it around but they dry down to a very pigmented, beautiful, matte finish. They don't budge (even when I forget to use lip liner)) but they do transfer a little bit (not nearly as much as lipglosses and lipsticks). As mentioned, these can be drying (but not nearly as much as other matte lipsticks) so pre-applying a good lip balm is nearly essential. I like to use EOS Spring Fruit because it isn't too slippery and goes well with the matte finish of this lipstick. Beware though - applying a very slippery lipbalm on top may cause the color to creep into lip lines making this look kind of bad (especially when you are using some of the lighter colors, like Milan). This happened when I used Aquafina lip balm but Cherry Culture's bubble gum lip balm worked great (I got it for free when I ordered this from CherryCulture - not affiliated). I have four colors but my absolute favorite is San Paolo - heck it's my favorite lip color ever. Buying all the colors in a collection is something I very rarely do but I am definitely going back and getting the rest of the colors because I never like a lip product this much.

I got this in 02 Stockholm. The color swatches are a little deceiving, at least for this shade. I thought it was going to be too brown, but it's gorgeous. It's slightly more colorful than my natural lip color, so it's a nice nude color. I have an extremely hard time finding lip colors that look well on my skin since I'm fair with freckles and I have warm undertones. It's slightly slippery when you put it on, but when it dries it's very matte and does not come off at all. What I love about this product is that it doesn't feel like it's drying my lips out. The title pretty much says it all. It's creamy, soft, and matte. <3

If you find that it settles into lines or it's too drying, try using Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm under or over the lip cream. This is what I do: Apply the balm and wait for it to "soak" in a little and then apply the matte cream. As the cream is drying, keep rubbing your lips together a little to make sure it's evenly drying. When I do that, it stays on all day without drying. If my lips were a little dry to begin with, I might add more balm once or twice depending on what I ate or drank. Pat your lip balm on to avoid using too much.

I have three of these: Monte Carlo - beautiful, deep crimson red, Addis Ababa - bright, hot pink, and San Paulo - medium coral-pink.
I hate any sort of frosty or glossy finish, the most I can stand for is a creme finish, so I figured these would be perfect for me. They apply nice and light like a gloss but dry in about 20 seconds to a matte finish. They leave a stain on the lips for hours but there is quite a bit of transfer if you have a cup of coffee or something, which is slightly irksome.
These are quite nice but I do have some complaints. It is quite drying and it does settle into the lip lines, meaning that it does require some balm on top throughout the day, which sort of negates the matte effect unless you use a very matte balm. I don't find them as drying as Revlon matte lipsticks though.
With that being said, it is still a very nice product. The swatches on NYX/Cherry Culture are awful so I recommend googling. Monte Carlo has become one of my favorite red and thanks to Addis Ababa, I am in love with a matte hot pink lip. I'm a bit on the fence about San Paulo. Based on swatches I saw I thought it would be what Addis Ababa ended up being and I thought AA would be more fuchsia. Oh well, it's still an ok color, just not what I was looking for. On my lips, it's a muted coral-red with a tinge of pink. There is only a slight buttercream smell but that quickly fades.

on 2/26/2011 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I looooovve these! Picked 2 of these up on a whim today, Antwerp a pretty coral-y color and Milan, a nice rosey pink color. I'm NC25 with yellow/slight olive tones and these both look beautiful on. Not quite gloss, not quite lipstick, just matte, pretty goodness! Apply nicely and dry quickly, but do not dry my lips out and all. Also have awesome staying power! I am really impressed by these cheap little gems and will definitely be getting more!

on 2/26/2011 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I purchased this in Istanbul, which I would call a baby pink. I am not a fan of these. I recently got into matte lip looks and I was eager to give these a try. The best way to describe this is it looked similar to pink dust on my lips. It settled in every line in my lip and screamed, look at me... my lips are super dry and look awful. I have full lips, so maybe that's why this didn't work for me. Also, NYX... please start sealing your packages, we have no clue, (especially with glosses) if someone before us has used the product we r planning on purchasing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

i am liking these a LOT! i purchased two of them (the light pink shades) and when i first applied them, i screamed in horror! there are a couple tips to help make them work, though.

condition your lips! you don't necessarily have to apply balm & then apply the product right away, as this may cause the product to not last as long. but, apply your balm & do the rest of your makeup. before you apply your lips, use your ring finger & smooth & rub the balm into your lips. this will definitely help this product apply nicer & look so much better.

less is more! i only apply a swipe of this to my bottom lip & use a lip brush to spread the product out. this is just my personal preference. these come out quite opaque & can be very obnoxious looking, even. build your colour up gently.

either way, i like these a lot! i hope to purchase more :)

on 2/28/2011 4:06:00 PM

I was so anxious to try this. A matte finish from a cream? Got it yesterday, in the color Monte Carlo. It's a pretty true red, with a very slight blue undertone. It goes on creamy, but you need to keep applying more product for real coverage. It dries quickly to a lovely matte finish. I wore it today, and it lasted about 3 hours, before it started looking a bit weird and clumpy. Still, I reapplied and like the way it looks. It does have a slightly sweet smell, and I really wish it came in some darker colors. Most of them were too light and/or natural for my taste. Good product, and at this dirt cheap price...give it a try!!