Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder

3.0

calcium aluminum borosilicate & silica.

on 8/25/2016 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I am so disappointed with how much I dislike this product. I tried it so many times thinking it MUST be me doing something wrong - tried applying with both a dry and a damp beauty blender, tried with a poof and tried with a powder brush. Also used two different foundations underneath. No matter what, it seemed to "cling" together and create a weird barrier that WOULD NOT allow me to apply a blush or highlighter on top of it. And it just seemed to hang on to my foundation and then separate it. Just completely awful. I tried so many times desperately wanting to like it, since it was supposed to be amazing (so I had heard), but it must only be the "translucent" version and not the "universal" ... Hoping to return it if I didn't use too much already with all my failed attempts!!!

on 3/23/2016 11:11:00 AM

I'm the biggest fan of the discontinued Urban Decay razor sharp setting powder so I'm always on the lookout for something similar if not a dupe or exact formula. This LM powder was disappointing. It leaves a white, ashy look reminiscent of Nicole Kidman's red carpet mishap. Application is tough, I can't use a brush like I always do, I have to go in with a powder puff and poof a ton of powder on my face. The results aren't the same as the UD powder either. This leaves you slightly dry, so yes it'll accentuate any dry patches or flakes of skin that you have. The powder itself is soft but you can already tell that it'll be drying. I'd stay away from this if you're scared of looking like an ashy ghost in flash photography.

My quest continues...

To Read all 22 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/19/2015 7:48:00 AM

Like other silica powders this is silky soft and easy to apply. This blurs the look of pores and fine lines without adding a thick layer of colored powder to the top of foundation. I do not see much difference between this and the MUFE powder that I was using previously, they both are almost identical. However, I have noticed that this LM product seems to apply more powdery and visible than the MUFE product, so I would probably not purchase this one again. It is a good product though, I just found something I prefer more.

on 11/4/2015 5:59:00 PM

I just am not sure about this powder. I think it may do absolutely nothing for me -- I use it because I don't want to waste it, so only when I go out in the evening to make sure my makeup stays all night. I never put it under my eyes because I think it may look dry and cause me to look white in photos. I use it with the Laura Mercier fan brush, so the whole system of using it is very pleasurable as it is smooth and silky and makes me feel like I am doing something-- but I really can't be sure, I am looking forward to when it is all gone, so I can try someting else.

on 8/22/2015 6:45:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

This powder is awful. Though I do love the translucent version of this. The invisible version is chalky white and clumps as soon as you apply it. It's drying and you can see it sitting on top of your foundation. I wore it once and that was enough. Back to Sephora it went. Don't waste your money.

on 3/25/2015 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this setting powder. I had just finished a sample of a Cover FX setting powder, and found this one after seeing good reviews online. Even if my makeup isn't perfect, this powder leaves a silky smooth and pretty matte finish. I thought that I had wanted a totally matte finish because of my oily skin, but now I realize that a semi-matte finish is much more flattering. Regardless, this powder definitely helps keep oil at bay and gives my foundation/tinted moisturizer a beautiful finish.

The product comes in a large, circular container that is easy to use. It has no smell at all, and is not a stark white but more of a light yellow, which definitely helps neutralize redness. I use a large kabuki brush to dab this into my t-zone and it works very well. It is definitely pricey, but I think it is definitely worth it.

Pro's:
- This powder doesn't break me out, probalby because of it's a talc-free formula.
- It makes my skin look nice and matte.

Cons:
- I don't find the matte effect stays very long (maybe an hour or so).
- I have not noticed my foundation or concealer wearing longer.
- The formula clings to dry patches and fine lines on my face. I don't even want to know how it would look on someone older than me.
- I really dislike the packaging. The powder always seems to find it's way out somehow, even though it is supposed to be shut.
- You don't have much control over the amount of product that comes out, for me it's either nothing or way to much.

on 12/9/2014 6:51:00 AM

When the sales assistant used this as the last step in setting my make-up I was amazed. It looked matte and velvety, so I purchased it immediately. To be honest, I`ve never really been much of a fan of setting powders because of the silica and other chemicals included, but I was sold on this one. Unfortunately the effect isn`t so long-lasting: once I leave the house, by the time I arrive at work it`s almost like I haven`t used any powder at all. Even in winter, there is already a slick oily film on my face 2 hours later. It doesn`t emphasize my wrinkles, but I was expecting more lasting power.

on 5/12/2013 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This powder is amazing! Provides oil control, sets foundation, gives that soft focus effect, minimizes the appearance of pores and wrinkles, does not look dry or cakey! But can emphasize the wrinkles if you use too much! But so many other powders are similar makeupforever hd, elf hd powder and many other brands make similar silica powders and translucent ones that are cheaper than this one. But I prefer this one and i will continue purchasing this one for one reason only, because in flash photography this does not leave a white cast on the skin and this is because the silica in this powder is very low. It contains calcium aluminum borosilicate and silica. It is basically all calcium aluminum borosilicate with very little silica. Of coure if you dont ever take photos there are many cheaper alternatives you can choose from and will save you lots of $$. Every other translucent powder I have tried either gives a white cast or contains cornstarch (like mac prep and prime loose powder) that usually breaks people out because cornstarch feeds bacteria which will lead to your skin to be filled with bacteria and cause breakouts even acne! Talc free powders like this one are the best cause talc can dry you skin out which can cause redness, rashes and pimples. Laura mercier has produced an excellent powder but yes it is over prised because you only get 11.3gr. but this powder does not compare to any other alternatives (except chantecaille loose powder). This powder and Covergirl Clean sensitive powder (220 creamy natural) are my absolute favorites! I wish people at makeupalley researched their products a little more before writing a review because it is a pity such a great product to have a very low rating.

on 11/27/2012 5:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

Being a huge fan of most Laura Mercier products, I was expecting to love this product. No such luck. I have pretty good skin for my age (41) with only a few fine lines on my forehead but when I put this powder on - whoa did they show up!! I've used Laura's Star Dust for ages and what a huge difference between the two.. Star Dust tends to diffuse and reflect while the Invisible Loose SITS in fine lines and wrinkles, almost accentuating them. Another huge negative: Laura Mercier has seriously reduced her content size while keeping the same price points. $35 for 0.4oz, when she was putting out loose powders at the same price point a year or so before with a net weight of 1oz? No thank you. I chalked this one up to a learning experience and gave it away to a much younger friend who is a fan.