Johnson & Johnson Johnson's Baby Oil Gel with Lavender

No Image

3.0

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

What is happening to Lavender scents? Many of them smell too musky like grandma old lady perfume..... The only good smelling Johnson lavender product was a baby powder with chamomile and lavender but it was the talc version not cornstarch. The cornstarch bedtime powder also smells too musky like old lady perfume. I give it two stars because I like the other Johnson gel oil in other scents.

Pros: Moisturizes very good
Available in other scents!!

Cons: Lavender scent smells like musky old lady perfume

on 4/22/2014 1:28:00 PM

This review mostly covers baby oil gel for use as a shaving gel, but also includes use as a moisturizer. I used the version that contained shea/coco butter.

I read online that this could be used for shaving legs - that it made legs super smooth, and gave a nice close shave. This was true for the first swipe of the razor. But it went downhill after that. This is oil in gel form - therefore, it clogs up in the razor and is super difficult to wash out. Most shaving creams wash easily out of the razor, but not this. Because it's an oil, it doesn't wash out easily. My razor was clogged after one stroke, and I had to (attempt to) clean it out with soap each time. The razor got progressively clogged, and as a result, the nice clean shaves weren't so close and clean anymore. I also couldn't tell exactly where I had already shaved, because the oil is clear. It was a mess, and made shaving pretty dangerous - the razor, my hands, my legs, and the shower became slick with oil. I had to throw my razor out afterwards, and spend time trying to wash the oil from my legs and from the shower floor.

I would not recommend shaving with this, or using it in the shower in general.

Note: I wouldn't recommend using this, or any baby oil, as an every day moisturizer. Baby oil is mineral oil, which comes from petroleum. Most oil particles in this form are too big to properly soak into our skin's pores. Instead, they just sit on top of the skin instead of actually moisturizing it, causing your skin to become more dry. This also causes breakouts. Also, excess oil can cause your skin to stop producing its own oil, again making your skin drier. This goes for coconut oil and other similar oils as well. Some oils, like jojoba oil, apparently have smaller particles that are able to soak into the skin. Only use baby oil once in a while for special occasions, especially if you have sensitive skin!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Very Pleased with the lavender baby oil gel that I bought...it has a nice soft lavender
scent & makes my hands soft...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

If you like being hydrated, and like a light scent of lavender - keep reading! I got this at Walmart for around $3. You don't need much - just squeeze a little out and put wherever you like! They instruct to use this after showering or bathing to hold in moisture - and state that it does so 10x better on wet skin than lotion does on dry skin. I haven't tried it out of the shower yet (that's next), but I have used it on my very sad winter hands, and it feels great, but of course, is a little oily. So, if you can commit to a little while to let this soak in, give it a shot! The lavender scent isn't too strong, it's almost barely noticeable. I could actually call for a little more scent in this one. It leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized, and for a little price - it is nice to try!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This has CHANGED, and not in a good way. I used to love this stuff. I noticed that it went away for a while and couldn't be found in stores. Now I know why. I think they were working on changing the formula. It's much weaker now, and very watery. The original was thick, moisturizing, and very well scented with lavender. It was a lovely soft powder scent. The smell was noticeable on my skin but not overpowering and worked well with my perfumes. Now, I can barely smell it. I am very dissapointed in what they have done with this. I will not be repurchasing after my nearly full bottle that I have now is gone.

Popular Body Skincare Products