Korres Mineral Powder Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Korres Mineral Powder Foundation
Lily Lolo, Korres, Sephora & other mineral brandsMineral Powder FoundationMineral Powder Foundation

3.4

Mica, Boron Ntiride, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Amethyst Powder, Quartz. [ /- (May Contain) Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides]

on 5/16/2014 7:07:00 PM

I just got this product this week in the Porcelein shade and I think it is great! I've been using a cream compact from shiseido for a couple of years, which I still really like, but wanted to try something lighter for the summer that would let my skin breathe but still cover my red cheeks. It seriously feels like you are wearing nothing! The coverage definitely depends on how you apply it. I've been using it with a flat top brush from shiseido which gives me medium coverage but if you used a kabuki brush it would probably be lighter coverage. I've tried to use bare minerals multiple time throughout my life and everytime I just end up hating it! This product doesnt look caked on and it doesn't have that gross feeling you get when you touch your face. Also I always found bare minerals fair shades to be too pink for me - I want to neutralize the pink in my face not enhance it. The porcelein color is slightly more yellow so its perfect.

First, I LOVE the actual foundation. I use the color sand, which is supposed to be for those with pink undertones. I have a combination of yellow & red undertones in my skin (Native American, Italian, Polish) but I like the shade 'sand' because it sort of neutralizes my skin too, & makes it appear more peachy. Sometimes I use shades of makeup designed for pink/cool tones to neutralize/cool down my skin a bit. Other times I will match my own warm tones. This is one of the products that I use in a pink/cool tone because I like the affect it has on my very warm skin. The product has an illuminated, glowing finish, but it doesn't make me look oily or like I applied highlighter all over my face. Pur Minerals makeup had that affect on me, easily in photographs. It literally looked like I dumped grease all over my face-yuck. (I have skin that is so severely dry that it produces excess oil, making it look & behave like oily skin most of the time) It also provides nice coverage, & blurs all my skin imperfections. I also love how it has so few ingredients. I actually know what I'm putting on my skin, which I appreciate. I separate skin care & makeup, (I don't expect my makeup to do what my skincare is supposed to) but I like to use makeup that is good for my skin whenever possible. I actually found this product when I went into Sephora to try out the Bare Minerals Matte foundation. The cast member was very helpful & suggested that I might like this better after I talked to him about some of my skin issues. I also actually like the sponge that comes with this foundation, I use it sometimes in place of a makeup brush. When I do apply this with a brush, I use the brush that I have left over from my Pur Minerals starter kit. It's their chisel foundation brush. The only thing I dislike about this foundation is the packaging. It's horrible. The first time I went to open it, carefully, it went up in a powdery cloud & got EVERYWHERE. My clothes, my couch, my floor. Talk about a huge mess. Not to mention wasteful. This foundation isn't the cheapest, so I want to get the most uses out of it that I can. Also, my container leaks. I'm not sure if this is just mine, or if it's a flaw that all of the containers have. But even though I keep it stored upright, it always gets everywhere somehow still. The jar will be covered in the stuff when I go to use it again. Again- wasteful. Needless to say, this is impossible to travel with. I have trouble even opening the container to use it without losing a ton of product. I love this foundation so much & it's so beautiful on the skin, but the packaging needs to be improved. I would expect better from Korres, especially for the price of this makeup. I also wish that this exact formula came in a pressed powder rather than loose.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Mineral foundation usually takes fifteen minutes of blending to apply nd add coverage (bare minerals) this is way better, it is glory and natural and not a flat finish. If you are oily put on a powder ('duh) the oily people who complain about this need to get that it says nothing about oil control...it says brightening which can be more luminous. This is a great foundation.

on 10/3/2012 2:19:00 PM

I am on my second jar of this foundation. I've gone through Bare Minerals and multiple liquid foundations. This one is the best! It suits my skin, which can get easily irritated/oily. Provides good coverage without feeling like you're wearing anything. of course, I wish it was cheaper but it is worth the money to me. AND it has amethyst & quartz crystals in it! Very cool.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Meh.

I got this about 2 years ago because of the super natural ingredients and the great reviews on Sephora. I used to be a Bare Escentuals user and thought I'd test out the waters of other mineral foundation.

I got this in the second lightest color (Light - Golden Fair) since the color selection is limited. I range anywhere from NC20, NC25, C25 (in the old Studio Fix Powder Foundation) and recently got matched to C3.

Korres Light is dark and orange on my skin. I thought it would be more forgiving but it's not. It leaves dark areas around my nose and the sides of the mouth that any amount of blending does not take away. It accentuates dry patches (and I always moisturize before any foundation application).

It was $30, rather on the expensive side of mineral foundations. Definitely $30 not well spent.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm having a more difficult time looking for mineral foundation than I thought. Having sensitive skin is killer! So I tried this about a year ago and forgot to review it. It's currently sitting in the bottom of my makeup drawer, unfortunately not much used up. I didn't use a whole lot of it because I think I'm allergic to Boron Nitride (which I think is the only synthetic ingredient) and it made me break out.

I did spot testing on my forehead to make sure that it was the product and not just normal breakouts, and unfortunately it was the product. I also noticed that the closest match to my skin was still very orangey, and it seemed to get more orange over time. The quality seemed pretty good, but just not a very good experience overall. Very pricey too :(

I've been wearing Everyday Minerals in their sample sizes to test them out and I'm hoping my skin will accept it. I may have to go with a company that has no fillers at all, just minerals. I'm getting exhausted looking for anything that I can put on my skin without breaking it out!

on 6/6/2011 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

Six months ago when I purchased this I would of gave it a rave review. Having lived in and with it for awhile, I can say I don't like the formula. No matter what moisturizer or primer I have under it, it's super dry and chalky. I can do a spritz of something on top and it just looks blotchy.

So wrong formula and wrong shade for me (medium beige). I've since found a replacement and that is Boots no7 mineral perfection in New Ivory. That formula is soft as silk, but covers like a foundation and feels weightless on my skin.

on 4/22/2011 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Such high hopes I had for this one :(
Unfortunately, I found it to be just as bad as BE. It went on smoothly, but after awhile, it developed that strange sheen to it that BE and all the other mineral foundations develop. Ugh. Oily skin topped with sheen? Nope, not pretty. Later on in the day I was all shiny...blech...couldn't wait to take it off. And yes, I tried several primers underneath (Boscia, UD, and S-box) but still :(
Gonna try Alima Satin Matte next. That will be the last one I try before I give up on powder mineral foundations altogether.

on 4/15/2011 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Update 11/05/2011:

This didn't work in the long run for me. The cons definitely outweighed the pros. I've dropped the rating from 4 lippies down to 1 lippie.

PROS:

1) Photographs well at 2 or more feet away.

2) Also has a flawless finish at 2 or more feet away.

3) Even when I didn't the use the right amount of ss (bad me I know *slaps own hand*), when using this on top of my ss, I didn't tan at all.

ANDDDDDD that is where it stops.

CONS:

1) I was on a heavy load of anti-histmanes for allergies when I started this so I couldn't be objective as to whether this caused any irritation. I noticed some itching when wearing this sometimes, but I wasn't consistently wearing this makeup throughout the summer so I wasn't completely sure it was the makeup. However, starting in the fall, I started wearing this everyday. At this point, I was no longer taking anti-histamines daily, only as needed or every few days. I noticed on the days that I didn't take the anti-histamine, my face itched like crazy. I started developing rashes as well. I know for sure it was the makeup because I would apply it to my entire face except my forehead. I didn't apply it to my forehead because I wore hats that covered my forehead. My forehead was the only clog and rash free area on my ENTIRE face.

2) When I started wearing this everyday and consequently for longer periods of time (8-12 hours a day & this was the only thing about my routine that changed), I noticed more clogs. And yes I cleansed properly, oil-pre cleanse followed up with a face wash & toner.

3) If you use too much of this in one application it is hard and practically impossible to fix the color without washing your face and starting over. That being said, I found the best way to apply this was with a blush brush (like eco tools) and DEFINITELY do the swirl, tap, buff method.

4) This definitely oxidizes when a sunscreen (even an oil free one) or any other type of primer like substance is used. This is like a darned if you do, darned if you don't moment. I tried it on my bare skin and it accentuated dry patches that were barely visible. But with the ss it didn't accentuate dry patches. However, at a close up (i.e. less than two feet), it accentuated the appearance of clogs or pimples regardless of whether a primer or ss was used or not.

5) A lot of product gets wasted with this packaging, as the powder easily comes to the top through the holes but does not as easily sift back down to the bottom. Therefore, just upon opening the tub, it is easy to "dump" out too much.

Bottom Line:
If you have pretty much perfect skin (no dryness/ and/or dry patches, no clogs, no pimples), are not sensitive to any of the ingredients, need a decent loose powder foundation for added (not as a substitute) sun protection AND you can adapt to one of the four colors (that's the only number of options they have), then and only then, will this be a good match for you.

Otherwise, be wise and look elsewhere!!

Original Review 04/15/2011:

Okay so this may be premature, but I am really feeling good about this powder foundation. I looked up reviews for it on makeupalley and sephora.

My skin took a turn for the worse about 6 months. At the most, I used concealer under my eyes and on the occasional dark spot. Now, I have a face full of hyperpigmentation and acne. Absolutely horrible. So as I am working with a dermatologist to clear this horrible mess up, I have been on the hunt for a good foundation and/or concealer to cover the marks. So far I have tried dermablend, covergirl sensitive clean foundation, clinique, and neutrogena mineral sheers. See my reviews for those if you are interested.

Anyway onto the review:

First off the cons:

1) limited color range, there are only four colors

2) it is a bit pricey

Pros:
1) Although the color range is limited, I could see the medium tan (the darkest shade) working for a few different shades for skin of color. I am a medium toned, light skin african american. I have like 4 different shades going on across my body (crazy I know lol). One swipe of this is actually too dark for the lightest part of my body but two to three swipes works for the darkest part of my body.

2) This works well with my sunblock, the vanicream spf 35. Any user of this sunscreen knows it is NOT matte and can seem oily/greasy if you apply the amount you are really supposed to. I used a makeup sponge and dipped it in the powder and the sunblock immediately absorbed it, it almost turned it into a thick liquid foundation. I didn't even have to use concealer! And trust me, my hyperpigmentation issues are DARK!! But, I still have to learn how to properly apply it though, because today the color I got on my neck was almost perfect, but on my face it was too dark. With the exception of the color, it didn't look like I had makeup on my face.

3)No parabens or talc, limited ingredient list. I absolutely love that about this foundation!!

4) They actually put the expiration date on the package. I notice very few "natural" brands do this, even if the product has spf in it.

I will update this review if I experience any negative reactions with continued use. I will also update this review with different techniques as I try new things ( I will try a kabuki brush from eco tools, and hopefully a matte sunblock). I really hope this works because I love the high spf and even after I clear up my skin issues, it will still work great with one layer to cover the ashy whiteness that physical sunblocks leave behind. Also, if this ends up being my HG foundation, I would not mind shelling out the money for it.

The current ingredients list is as follows: Titanium Dioxide 16.1%, Zinc Oxide 15.0%, Mica, Boron Nitride, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Amethyst Powder, Quartz. [+/- (May Contain) Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides]

P.S. Sorry for the long review, I hope it is useful to someone :-)

on 4/3/2011 3:00:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I think this mineral powder is made for dry/normal skin because I'm oily skinned; tried it because I was just switching from BE at that time, I saw that it was illuminating, but it's really shimmery for something that's suppose to go all over your face... It can probably be used as a bronzer!

At the end of my day it was like a dewy glob of shimmer on my face. I didn't like it and back it went.

They need to be like BE and do the twist and close with the packaging.

The medium tan was really beige with some pink, Idk. I wasn't feeling the color.