RCMA Color Process Foundation

RCMA Color Process Foundation
Color Process Foundation

Ingredients: IPM (Isopropyl Myristate), Castor Oil, Carnauba, Candelilla, Ozokerite, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, propyl Paraben, BHT. May Contain: D&C Red #6, D&C Red #7, D&C Red #27, Cos.Green, Cos. Blue.

on 10/5/2016 7:48:00 AM

I have Dry/ Sensitive skin rarely get oily. except on my nose.
It cost over 100+ (SGD) for the sample size K.o Pallete.
I live in Singapore and its Summer ALL year round.
Hot & Humid and the occasional raining seasons.

I did my research before purchasing this product. i know it's a wax based and its mostly creme based. i know u have to lightly scrape it off and warm it up on your hand before applying it. i used a beauty blender/Brush/Fingers.

I am seriously done with this palette. It makes my skin extremely oily after 4hours of wear.
And it comes off when i touch my face. i was a greasy hot dog by the 5th hour. and on that day it wasn't even hot. it was raining all day and i was in an aircon room most of the time.
It exaggerate my pores like no other.

Will not recommend this at all.

on 9/19/2016 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

That's it...I give up. This one's going back. Before buying this foundation, I did my research. I understand that it is a highly pigmented foundation, that it is made with carnauba wax. I understand that the application is different than other foundations. But no matter how I apply it..whether fingers, brush, sponge (wet or dry)....it looks like crap! Settles into my pores almost immediately and by mid-morning it's gone. I've watched YouTube videos and nothing works. The best thing I can say is I got the shade KO-1 and it's perfect.

To Read all 96 Reviews, Login or Join

This a low down review for media foundations—you are reading this if you are researching Cinema Secrets or RCMA foundations (my favorites), which are mainly used by pro MA’s for television, movie and still photography work. But they are becoming more and more popular for those of us wanting superlative natural makeup in day to day life on the streets. Both are versatile as they can function both as opaque concealer or heavy foundation, but also as a more sheer foundation, all from one product. They may turn some consumers off, as they come in very plain pancake screw top packaging—no fancy frosted glass jars, and they aren’t available at your favorite department store with gleaming counters and shimmery lights.

With these foundations you often hear--over and over again--that they apply like “a second skin”. And this is TRUE--being marketed for high definition cameras sets them apart from foundations formulated and marketed toward the consumer. CS and RCMA most often look completely natural on the skin and yet they provide a flawless glowing natural looking coverage. Part of what makes these foundations so natural, so undetectable and so glowing, is not only great unique formulations, but also the fact that they come in a vast array of human skin colored tones and undertones, making it much easier to get a very close match to your skin color. In fact matching colors with CS or RCMA can be dauntingly hard as online color swatches are miserable, and since so few brick and mortar stores sell these foundations for you to try on (except in the largest cities). Camera Ready Cosmetics in Dallas has a wonderful mail-in color matching service for media foundations, and I highly recommend their website. They help over the phone with superlative service too. Plus they’ll even sell you modest samples of these foundations making an excellent color match that much easier to make, not to mention that the samples are large enough that you can try these foundations for a week or more before deciding.

These foundations (particularly RCMA) have a learning curve, and they will take more time to apply in the morning than say slapping on Double Wear or Colorstay or Armani Silk. Media foundations meld into the skin wonderfully, disappearing as they cover redness and imperfections. With a good color match you cannot blend these foundations by spreading the color around on your face (as most of us do with traditional consumer foundations), because you won’t be able to SEE any color as it just melds and disappears into your skin. Instead you have to learn to blend and cover by how much more perfect your skin looks, and how well the redness or scaring or other imperfection, have vanished. While these foundations are heavily pigmented, they do not cover opaquely quickly in one pass—not like more “grease-paint” full coverage foundations such as MAC Full Coverage or Lauder's Double Wear Camouflage. For the few that need complete full coverage foundation you need to go back over and layer with a decent amount of product where needed (though you can just spackle it on for smaller concealer purposes). On the plus side, they also don’t look nearly as cakey with this much coverage like the more traditional and greasy textured full coverage foundations or concealers can quickly look.

These foundations absolutely have to be set with a powder, preferably a loose setting powder. So powder selection becomes more important. Many rave over RCMA’s low cost No-Color powder, I prefer MUFE HD powder, while others adore Laura Mercier. Just be aware that powder will be needed, but when a high quality powder is well applied, no-color or translucent powders only enhance the glowing finish of CS and RCMA foundations, and make them crease proof and all day lasting.

Cinema Secrets is my favorite with its silicone base. Their color selections are marvelous and broad, and the formulation is more creamy and easier to work with than RCMA. Cinema Secrets vanishes into the skin with lightening speed. It’s also a little easier and quicker to build up to full opaque coverage if that’s what you’re looking for, or if using as a concealer. Cinema Secrets is very long lasting (particularly over a silicone primer), as in often lasting for 12+ hours. Damp BeautyBlender or Sigma F80 work wonderfully with these foundations for me, though the damp Blender can soak up a fair amount of the creamier CS. I also strongly feel that the Cinema Secrets is much more hydrating and comfortable for drier skin types (though if you do set with the right amount of powder, it can start to feel dryer toward the end of the day).

RCMA is a tad more natural looking—truly a second skin. However the wax formulation has one of the most unique textures in the cosmetic world—it’s hard like butter from the fridge and can sometimes be downright chunky or cloddy. For more sheer coverage applications a damp sponge or brush pounced into the pot might work in a warm bathroom, but for most applications RCMA needs to be dug/scraped out of its pot and then warmed slightly and coaxed with warmth into a more creamy (and flat) texture; on the back of your hand or on a palette with your finger work best. More work than CS, but the finish is truly gorgeous, glowing and approaches truly invisible more than any other medium-full foundation I have experienced. HOWEVER, in my experience (with dry skin no less!) RCMA does not last well—it starts to fade after 3-4 hours (taking blush and contour and highlighter with it); only about 50-60% coverage remains after 6-8 hours, and mere wispy fragments are left at the 12 hour mark. For this reason alone, I pass on RCMA (and I have experimented with various primers). It’s very slight advantage in glowing invisible appearance is completely negated for me by its poor lasting power, and the extra coaxing it takes to get it to the right consistency in the morning. BUT, others claim long

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

First I should say these are not as cheap as Ben Nye or Mehron and the colors come off a little unnatural looking but don't snub them, they are super pigmented and so creamy and lovely and the coverage is amazing you can wear as thin ( with some RCMA thinner) or heavy as you like in broad day light it looks undetectable. I use shinto 2 and 3. they both need to be colored corrected I mix green and yellow into shinto 3 and just yellow into shinto 2. Its really a great investment you just need to learn how to use it and adjust them to your liking. this is truly a artist brand. I also have the RCMA color foundation adjustor platelet, but LA girl green and yellow correctors work just as well.

I use this palette for concealer in shades SH-1 and SH-2. I set with a sheer finishing powder and it lasts me all day, even with oily skin. This has medium to high coverage and is on the drier end of cream foundations/concealers when compared to the Bobbi Brown foundation sticks, which is good because it has a better staying power. I think this product is best for spot concealing because of its consistency and would not use it as a foundation even on my oily skin.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

on 2/20/2016 11:44:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought a 5-color palette. A mixture of Shinto 1 and Shinto 2 matches my NC30 skin tone. I bought this palette last summer and used it frequently for a good 6 months.

My skin is acne-prone, but since I use Retin-A, it tends to be dry-combination.

I found this foundation very easy to apply, maybe because I've used cream products before. I just applied with my fingers and blended out with a buffing brush. In the winter, mixing with a drop of grapeseed oil makes it easier to apply and blend out.

The finish is very natural. It really does look like skin, unless you apply it very heavily, in which case it is a more "made up" look.

However, I don't think the pigmentation is all that it's hyped up to be. I've gotten better coverage from MAC Full Coverage or Estee Lauder Double Wear. However, I do think the RCMA provides a more natural-looking tone and finish while providing very good coverage.

Although it does contain Isopropyl Myristate, it didn't clog my pores.

My main problem with this makeup, and the reason I won't repurchase, is that it fades within a few hours. By the end of a regular day in the office, the coverage is completely gone. This happens even though I set it with powder and Skindinavia setting spray. I don't have this problem, at least not to this degree, with other foundations, including my Nars powder foundation.

I do like my 5-color RCMA palette because it contains darker colors that I can use as contour or bronzing shades. Of course, they fade, too. But I'm going to try using them over my EL Double Wear foundation to see if they will wear better on top of that.

on 2/13/2016 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

The only thing I don't like about this foundation is the fact that this brand is hard to come by, so I have to keep buying samples. I buy from RCMA since the samples from CRC are more expensive.

RCMA has a vast amount of colors, but I do find their colors for darker skin are limited. I have had a very hard time finding foundation that fits since I have neutral to cool leaning undertones with a medium brown skin tone. If it's not too light or too dark, it's too yellow or too red. As such, I usually end up being in between shades and having to mix. AND,

1: When it comes to high end foundation that can get really expensive.
2: Seeing as how many cosmetic companies neglect darker skin, I almost feel a moral obligation to NOT buy 2 colors because it is most often a result of not being catered to.

So, cream foundations seemed like a good idea since they have many colors to choose from (Some brands more than others). With RCMA, I first bought the Shinto series (4-7), but Shinto 4 is a bit too dark and orange so the others wouldn't work. I ended up buying different samples from them 2 more times but there was no perfect shade for me, even by mixing. I got tired of having to keep buying and waiting so I just gave up.

However, I did love the look and coverage of this foundation. I like the coverage of a full coverage foundation, without the overly done look. This allows me to spot treat any blemishes and doesn't look cakey, it looks like skin.

When it comes to application, since I have been using samples I just swipe the foundation on my face and rub it in with my hands. I do find it takes a couple of minutes to settle or oxidize but it doesn't change color after that. I have oily skin and I find that even though I still have to blot, I do so no more or less than with any other foundation. (And i use Becca Ever Matte Primer under it)

on 1/9/2016 9:25:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I have been using this foundation for a couple of weeks now and I am in love. It is the most natural-looking foundation I've ever used. I think this is because this product is so pigmented that only a tiny bit is needed and therefore you don't see product on the skin; you just see skin. Having said that, it's probably not for everyone because it requires learning how to use it and having the time to apply and blend it properly. Also, because this product is basically wax, oils and pigments, it may not be good for acne-prone skin. I have not had a single problem with blemishes since using this, but I do two things to prevent problems:
1. I always use makeup remover before cleansing at night.
2. I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid exfoliant (N/A) to keep my pores clear and clean.

There are a couple of really good videos on YT to help learn how to apply this. One is by Kevin James Bennett and the other is by Ivy Boyd. In these videos, they mention having to warm up this product before applying and I couldn't agree more. As someone below noted, the consistency is like butter that's been in the fridge. One trick I learned is that if you stir it with a toothpick, it will soften a bit and be easier to spread. I use a metal spatula to scoop up some product, place it on the back of my hand and then spread it over my face with my fingers. I then blend it in with Sonia Kashuk's flat-top brush, but a foundation brush would probably be fine too. If there are areas where I can see foundation sitting on top of the skin, I use a damp sponge to press it into the skin and I honestly don't think most people could tell I have foundation on. My skin is fairly clear (though I do have age spots) but you could certainly spot conceal with this foundation and it would still look very natural.

After finishing with my foundation, I apply any other cream products I'm going to wear and the RCMA foundation plus my flat-top brush helps everything to blend seamlessly, especially concealer and cream blush. I then apply the RCMA No-Color powder to set it and it stays on all day. I will say that I haven't yet had an opportunity to test it in hot, humid weather, but I will update when I can.

From what I can tell, this No-Color powder is just very finely milled talc, so it's not especially unique other than not giving any color or coverage. The RCMA itself gives a satin finish and when I add the powder, it gives a soft matte appearance. I don't find it to be chalky, but I use a very light dusting and then use a clean brush to knock off any excess powder.

As to finding a color match, this is also tricky business if you have to order online. I called RCMA for samples, because it's a little less expensive than Camera Ready Cosmetics. RCMA charges $1.00 per sample and then $3 for shipping. I order four samples, so that came to $7.00. When I called RCMA to order them, I told them that I wore Porcelain in Bobbi Brown foundations and wondered if I could find a match in the KA-series, because they are for light skin tones that are slightly yellow. She asked me to hold and consulted with their makeup artist. When she came back on the line, she said that I could definitely find a match with these. I ordered KA-1, KA-2, KA-3 and KA-4. KA-3 turned out to be my perfect match -- it's ever-so-slightly less yellow and more peachy than Bobbi Brown. I also ordered KA-4 for when I get a little darker in summer (despite wearing SS faithfully).

I feel this is a very good value, because if you can buy the one ounce size (around $30.00, I believe), this is going to last a very, very long time. It wouldn't surprise me if it lasted two or more years. I tried this product because I had been using the Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick and really liked it, but in six months I had almost used it up and and it's $46.00! The consistency of the RCMA foundation is similar to the BB, except it's in a pot instead of a stick. The packaging is not fancy - it's just a plastic white pot with a clear screw-on lid, but personally, I'd rather pay less and get loads more product for my money than have a fancy jar.

I feel like I have found my HG foundation and I have never said that before. I can always tell when I've found a HG product because I'm no longer looking for that perfect product -- I've found it!

Edit: To make this foundation easier to spread, I scoop some out, place it on the back of my hand and add one drop of jojoba oil. It transforms it into a liquid foundation that is much easier to blend and sheer out. RCMA also makes a foundation thinner, but it's more expensive.

on 12/7/2015 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this and cinema secrets samples. Upon application, I loved this! It's so creamy and has the perfect velvet like skin finish. The color is spot on for my ultra pale skin. Lasting power is better than most cream foundations. Coverage is amazing. This is highly pigmented and you only need a tiny tiny bit. However, it breaks me out BAD. I've had the sample for over a year and I am an idiot and keep trying to use it (praying that my breakouts were hormonal or from some other product).....NOPE. It's this. Bummer. I mix it with L'Oreal illuminating primer and use it as under-eye concealer. Don't use this if you have sensitive skin and are prone to breakouts.

3 Stars for the redeemable qualities.