Sally Hansen salon effects

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Sally Hansen salon effects

3.4

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am absolutely in love with this product. Each time I purchase it, I always am so happy with the way my nails come out. I don't purchase them frequently because they cost around $10ish, which is more than a basic manicure. But for when I don't have the time/patience to sit in a nail salon, these are so handy. I am absolutely horrendous at doing my nails. Even when I manage to not make it look as though I allowed my three year old niece to paint them, they are still visibly DIY and chip in less than a day no matter which fancy top coat/products I use. This product is very easy to use and my nails come out looking like a professional manicure every time. They are not stickers, it is actual nail polish somehow and it comes off with nail polish remover. The product claims to last about 10 days, but I find it lasts about 3 or so before the first chip occurs. However, I am also a registered nurse and wash my hands about 1000 times a day. I recently found the color "Glitz Blitz" which is basically just a gold glitter polish for .40 cents at Bed Bah & Beyond so I purchased about five of them just to have. It looks beautiful, a little holiday/NYE-ish which is probably why they were on sale. If you are challenged in the manicure department, please try this product and follow the instructions! You won't be disappointed!

These have become my absolute favorite "nail polish", they are all I've been wearing for the past 2 months or so.
My favorite is Bling it On, a very shimmery pink that sparkles in certain lights at night, but looks pretty natural and not overdone.
They are very easy to put on, you just pick the strips that you think best fit your nails, peel and apply. I wear my nails short-ish, so I can easily use one strip for the matching fingers on both hands. One word of caution: they do dry up, so you can't keep an open package too long because you won't be able to use the strips. I'm sure this can be fixed by taping the little packet with the remaining strips shut, but I'm too lazy to do this - my fault.

I can't successfully wear nail polish because the bad texture of my own nails shows through, you can see the ridges and discoloration (thank you Shellac!), so these strips are a godsend, because they hide the texture very well.

They last a really long time, my last install lasted me almost 2 weeks! I only had to remove them because of the growth at the base of the nail, otherwise they still looked pretty good. They do rub off a bit at the tips, but especially with this color, it's unnoticeable.

The price is high, the cheapest I've found is Walmart - almost $9 - but I heard some people find them at the Dollar store...I did find them there once at $2, but the design was ugly as they were made for Halloween lol.

I also have the Lace ? (I forgot the name) ones, they are cute too, but the strip of polish is thicker than Bling it on, and more fragile, it doesn't last more than 5 days on me.

I will try other designs too, because I truly like these.
I will keep buying these, I absolutely love them.

on 8/27/2014 12:42:00 AM

I have been using the French Mani w/ light pink tint. They last 2 wks on me. They are shiny, easy to apply, & I've had compliments. I keep nails pretty sporty/short. And I apply a Shiny Top coat. Love

I purchased the French Manicure today--my first go-round with nail polish strips of any kind. I found the French manicure to be finicky to apply simply because it's hard to properly position the white "tip" portion properly. BTW, the French mani is a two step process, after applying the white tip you then size up your nails and apply the clear layer. I found they were fairly stretchy and appreciate the application tips from other gals who suggested cutting them in half! What a great idea! I'll also apply a top coat as recommended. I wish they would provide more size options in the package, however. I'm a tall lady with larger hands and nails so the largest strip barely fits across my thumb and the smallest one is way too tiny for anything. Having said all that, I would buy nail strips again (on sale only--they're pretty expensive). Pretty cool idea!

on 5/16/2013 8:29:00 PM

A lot of people giving negative reviews did not use these properly in my opinion. First of all, wait several hours before doing any chores/dishes/showers! This IS nail polish, it HAS to set on your nails, it isn't magically perfect within an hour, seriously, wtf now! Haha I love them. I put them on and do not put my hands in water for at least 3-4 hours and also I put a top coat on and they last a few weeks, perfect! Worth the money. Easy to apply once you get the hang of it!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't sure about these because the results I got from my first attempt weren't the best, but since I've gotten the hang of applying them, I really like them. There really is a learning curve with these, practice does make perfect, and I strongly recommend reading and following the instructions to a T the first time you apply them, but I've used these literally dozens of times now and I've found a few tips that make application much easier. Your mileage may vary, of course.

1. Get a rubber-tipped cuticle pusher. The strips stick so much better when I use a rubber-tipped pusher instead of the wooden one that comes with the kit. Use it to push back/lift your cuticles and to "burnish" the strip once you have it properly placed on your nail. Burnishing helps the strip adhere better, removes wrinkles, and pushes any little trapped air bubbles out, and the soft rubber tip is gentle on your cuticles and won't tear the strip like the wooden stick will (I found this out the hard way).

2. The strips are more malleable and will adhere better if your hands and nails are warm. The temperature of the room you're in when you apply these can also effect how well they stick: a warmer room is better, but not too hot.

3. The strips can be ~very~ gently stretched to fit all the way across the nail from sidewall to sidewall. You can also push your cuticles back and lift them slightly (be careful and don't push them back too hard or lift them too high), and the strips can then be placed just under the cuticle (you then press the strip to the nail using the rubber-tip pusher). This is great if you're not especially neat with liquid polish and tend to get it all over your cuticles, or if you don't like a gap between the polish and your cuticle. Placing the strips just under the cuticle also extends the life of my manicure, as it takes longer for a gap to show as my nails grow out.

4. In my experience, the solid neon shades are the thinnest strips, and thus the most fragile and easily torn. The non-neon solid shades are a bit thicker, followed by the printed designs, and the glitter shades are the thickest and the easiest of all the strips to stretch.

5. I don't use a base coat, but I do use a top coat. The strips chip within a couple of days without, but with top coat, usually I only get a little tip wear and my manicure lasts from 8 to 14 days. I apply a fresh top coat every 3 days or so if the strips begin to look dull.

6. Clean, dry nails before you start are a must. I recommend using alcohol, polish remover, or acetone to remove all traces of dirt and oil from the nail bed. Don't use polish remover that says "hydrating" or "moisturizing", as these contain oils that will prevent the strips from adhering.

7. The more recent designs (as of this review) seem to be easier to remove than the older designs. I use acetone to remove them, and I soak the glitter strips off. As you can imagine, this is very drying to the nails and skin so if you do it, rehydration via a good cuticle oil and hand creme is a good idea.

8. I can get two manicures out of one package if my nails are on the shorter side. However, I don't cut the strips in half beforehand (another lesson learned the hard way, lol), I apply the strip, file the excess away carefully, and use the excess for the other corresponding nail. If you have long nails or longer nail beds, you may only get one use per package.

As I said, your mileage may vary. For what they are, these are pricy, but there are coupons and sales for them pretty much any given day of the week, so if you shop around you can get a good deal.

on 2/24/2013 1:00:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

They were hard to apply, but I finally got them looking pretty good. Unfortunately, they started getting chips, etc. after only a few days, much like regular polish. Actually, it was probably fortunate instead of unfortunate, because it caused me to just go ahead and remove them after a week. I'm glad I did, because my nails underneath were pretty much ruined. Totally dried out, with ridges and a tendency to peel and split. It took months for my nails to improve, and that is because I just had to grow new ones. I would never use this product again.

I decided to give these a try, they were on sale at a local store. The pre-cut shapes just did not work for my nail shape and curves. I found that instead of just cutting off the end of my nail, it kind of stretches and doesn't break off. The texture of the finish on your nail is just odd. Somewhat, sticky? I don't know. And when used with a topcoat, it just bubbles. Plus once you open the package, you can't keep the strips you didn't use =[
I'd rather spend the time on my nails!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I bought the new French Mani kit. I keep my nails short, so I had a hard time putting on the tips without it looking pretty ridiculous, and the color strips hardly stick! I've used one of the regular kits before and didn't have that problem.

on 9/9/2012 9:31:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love these! I've used them at least 5 or 6 times, and trust me, with practice they get easier to apply. There are so many colours and designs to choose from. They last without any chips for about a week for me then they start chipping a lot but it's not a big deal.

Tip: When applying these, i use the rounded edge on the base of my nail because i tend to tear the perforated side. Also apply a good top coat so they stay on longer.

The only complaint I have about these is you can't really file of the excess. I usually fold the edge over and press down, rip off as much as I can, and then file what's left.

If you don't want to spend $8-$10 on these, other companies are catching onto the idea and you can find similar strips for $3-$5.

Popular Polishes