Sally Hansen salon effects

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Sally Hansen salon effects

3.6

I really, really wanted to love these. I purchased my first box (Sweet Marble Floret) at Target, it was about $10. I went home, followed the box directions and applied. It looked nice, but I was wary when the box said it would last 7-10 days. I noticed by day 2 there were chips on 3 nails. By day 4 every nail was chipped to the point that it looked awkward and kind of trashy. The box states you can use polish remover to take them off. Ummm... I spent a good 30 minutes alternating soaking my nails in remover then scrubbing them with a cotton ball. Soak, scrub, soak, scrub. It barely came off and it left gooey globs of the strips all over my fingers. Those stayed for 2 days.
My friend swore by these things and couldn't believe my bad experience so she bought me another box (Bling it on). Again, followed the directions, applied, I didn't even make it a day and it was chipping off. Trying to get that glitter coated strip off my nails was harder than recovering from surgery. It's been 3 days and I still have glitter residue all over my nails and fingers. I look like an out of work stripper. Maybe my nails aren't suited for these, I think it's a nice concept but based off 2 failed attempts I won't be purchasing again.

on 1/15/2015 3:26:00 AM

Love. These. They are adorable, perfect for doing nails in a hurry, no dry time, stay for almost 2 weeks, and they have so many choices.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is the first brand of polish strips I have used. I have been very happy with them and I continue to purchase more because they work so well. I have found I can get two uses out of one box. I found this mentioned on a review/to do video and found it very helpful. I apply a strip and then cut with scissors the excess and use it to apply to the same nail on the next hand. Then I file the ends down. The only time I cannot do it is to my thumbs. I find I can get more then 5 days out of each application. My nails grow very fast so I have some nail showing through. Otherwise I could probably get the application to last longer. I will only purchase these if I find them at Dollar Tree because I think they are overpriced for how many uses I can get.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Love these, super easy to apply, long lasting. I have one complaint: once the pack is opened, the strips dry out and can't be used later on. I like using the patterns on only a few nails and doing a solid coordinating colour on the other nails. I'm bummed out that the leftover strips can't be saved.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I got these Sally Hansen nail strips on sale for $2.50. They're usually in the $10 range so i've never used them before because I'm addicted to painting my nails. So being so cheap, i thought "why not"
I'm not sure what they were called but they were a shiny black with a few sparkles. I love black nail polish so I was really excited to use them.
I took off my polish, filed my nails, and then buffed them out a bit. I followed the instructions %100, and ended up only being able to use 5 of the strips. The rest of them were all stuck to the plastic piece that you're supposed to peel off, and it was impossible to peel it off of the plastic. I don't know if maybe my hands were too warm or what, but I only managed to do one hand and then I ran out of usable strips. I went back to the drugstore to get another box and they had none left of the kind I used. I am very disappointed. I also found it very hard to properly place them on my nails, I have very long nails so getting the strips to be even on both sides of my nails was extremely difficult. I can't see myself buying these again, even on sale. I'll stick to painting my nails.

on 5/11/2014 2:58:00 AM

I love these for when I am pressed for time - I always keep a box around. It comes with everything you need to apply, and I can do it in about 10 minutes. I've even done it immediately before taking a shower. My favorite are the variety of french manicures. I would like to see more subdued colors and patterns. They go on flawless for me and last at least a week - the trick is to get the perfect size for each nail (and slightly thinner than your nail bed is much better than slightly wider), hold them in the middle and smooth them on quickly, using the orange stick to smooth any bubbles, and to press them down hard over your nail tip and then file only in a downward motion to remove the excess. Brilliant invention.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I do like these a lot as a cheaper alternative to a salon gel manicure. I also love a lot of the nail art patterns these come in. The first time I tried applying them I got about 8 out of 10 nails looking perfect but with practice these became far easier to apply. The only disappointment I've had with these is with the design Tattoo Much, the application went on fine but the pattern looked far different on my nails then it did in the advertisement. Overall Id say these are a good choice for a fun and funky nail look. My best tip for application would be to really clean your nails thoroughly with a strong nail polish remover first to remove any dirt or moisture. The drier you nails are the better adhesion you will get. I've done this every time I've used these strips and have not had any problems with peeling, chipping or bubbling. My nails have looked perfect for a least a week to 10 days!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A little late to be writing a review, but I tried these last year with a few different patterns. One was the "love letters" and the other was a red and black patchwork pattern. The love letters was great. It lasted on my nails until it actually grew out. The black and red didn't last more than two days. I found that very odd. I used the same type of application, it's very easy to apply once you get the hang of it.
If it does last as long as my first one (the love letters), I don't mind the price and the time it took me to apply. It took me about an hour. But as far as the second only lasting two days, that's a bust as far as I'm concerned.
It's not something I would repurchase tho, I'm not really a fan of this company. I much prefer cruelty-free companies and for that reason plus the fact that one package lasted and the other didn't, there doesn't seem to be uniform consistency in the product.
I think other MUA'ers have great ideas on how to use the product and get more bang for your buck tho. It's far too expensive to just purchase outright and waste the extras in the package. I have tried some other similar types out on the market, none with success either. I'll just stick to my polish for right now. That's difficult enough sometimes....

on 4/10/2013 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If you follow the instructions and use common sense, they DO stay on at LEAST 10 days - I've had them stay on for 2 weeks or more, and I'm a medical transcriptionist (typing 40 hours a week, plus my home Internet usage! I have used these FOUR different times (animal instinct, a pink and white camo pattern, and the pink glitter ones twice), and all four times they stayed on at LEAST for 2 weeks - my nails were growing out before they started to come off! You have to make sure you buff your nails first with the included buffer to give them a slightly un-smooth surface, make sure your fingers are not freezing cold, and stretch the strip ever so slightly before pressing them down. Then tamp them down with the included wooden stick. You can play with them too, like adding top coats with glitter, etc., and if you put them on crooked to where there's a blank spot, you can just use a remnant or a smaller one that you had leftover to fill in the spot, and it looks flawless! I intend on taking that idea and seeing if I can double-layer them for added oomph (such as with the glitter ones which are subtly translucent), or maybe putting the yellow on top of the blue halfway/making fat stripes? I bet you could cut out shapes and layer those, too, because they're so adhesive. Totally worth the price, which is anywhere from $6 to $10 for a set, and usually you can find them on sale places or find coupons, too. The holiday ones are adorable - currently searching for leftover St. Patrick's day ones, not sure if they exist, but since I love green so much... :)

on 3/4/2013 8:28:00 PM

This stuff is crap. It is cleaner and less time consuming to use polish. Ugh. So many tiny pieces of sticker and foil everywhere, and no size or shape worked with my small hands. I tried the French manicure style, so maybe the multi-part process was even more difficult to apply than solid colors. Will NEVER repurchase.

Popular Polishes