Sally Hansen salon effects

Sally Hansen salon effects

3.5

on 10/29/2014 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Ok I LOVE these. I find I have to put clear nail polish on first then put the sticker down and file away they extra then seal them with clear polish. I find that the packages don't keep the unused strips very well. I only get one set of strips out of the box. Which at 10$ a box is a lot. HOWEVER, when I find them at Dollar Tree, I buy all of them! At a dollar a box it cant be beat. Look at dollar tree first!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I got these Sally Hansen nail strips on sale for $2.50. They're usually in the $10 range so i've never used them before because I'm addicted to painting my nails. So being so cheap, i thought "why not"
I'm not sure what they were called but they were a shiny black with a few sparkles. I love black nail polish so I was really excited to use them.
I took off my polish, filed my nails, and then buffed them out a bit. I followed the instructions %100, and ended up only being able to use 5 of the strips. The rest of them were all stuck to the plastic piece that you're supposed to peel off, and it was impossible to peel it off of the plastic. I don't know if maybe my hands were too warm or what, but I only managed to do one hand and then I ran out of usable strips. I went back to the drugstore to get another box and they had none left of the kind I used. I am very disappointed. I also found it very hard to properly place them on my nails, I have very long nails so getting the strips to be even on both sides of my nails was extremely difficult. I can't see myself buying these again, even on sale. I'll stick to painting my nails.

on 10/29/2013 8:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this product for at least 2 years now and it has been great, it has lasted up to two weeks on my nails in the past even with working in a supermarket and using my hands a lot. I find it really easy to apply and I cut the strips in half so I can use the set twice rather than once.

I have always loved them but lately I have found some inconsistencies with it, for example, last week on Sunday night, I applied one set and it last right through until Friday which is with working full time (in Childcare so lots of use of the hands), no top coat, no repairs. Then on Saturday I decided would change it and bought another set, they lasted a day and a half, I had lost three nails worth of strips by the end of Sunday afternoon and this was when I was out shopping. this has happened to me a few times now. The designs with a white background seem to be the ones that don't last for me.

Never the less, I will probably try it a few more times, or at least until I run out of designs before I give up on them, they are good most of the time. One last thing, it would be great if they sold the designs without a file and a cuticle stick as if I am buying them in lots I don't need more than one of each item.

I HATE THIS STUFF!

I purchased the set in Lust-rous, a pretty black with gold and silver chunky sparkles. Application was easy, and the manual was great. It was also wonderful that it came with a cuticle pusher and a nail file (although it was made somewhat cheaply.)

Soon enough, in a matter of 12 hours these chipped. On the box, it says that they last 10 days, and I think that claim is waaaaaay off. By the third day, all of my nails chipped.

These are also super uncomfortable on the nails. When I brush my fingers through my hair, the wax strips almost get like caught in my hair? I don't really know how to describe it, but it feels super uncomfortable and I was itching to get them off as soon as possible.

I tried to take them off with my amazing nail polish remover (it takes off almost EVERYTHING) but the nail polish wouldn't budge. I was frustrated-- how can a product chip so easily but then be so hard to remove? I finally used some aluminum foil and soaked the nails with remover but still there was a lot of residue left. I had to take three showers for all of it to come off of my nails. My nails were in awful condition--dry, brittle, and weak.

For $10, I reccomend going to the store and buying a good OPI or Essie. I feel so stupid for wasting my money on these. Will NEVER repurchase.

on 7/2/2013 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I was stoked to try this product, but quickly found it would be a waste. It was difficult to cut the strips to fit my nails. I ended up tearing off the nail strip on some, so I had to carefully try to attach the remaining part to the nails. For the ones I managed to get it on in one piece, it was a challenge for me. Afterwards, it looked cheap and made my nails look huge (used the white one so that was probably why). It did not look smooth, and was totally noticeable as a sticker, not smooth and shiny polish. Furthermore, I hated this product because it chipped right away. So I tried to attach the excess pieces from the leftover nail strips to press it on. I recommend buying quick dry nail polish and adding a cheap top coat. At least when it chips then, you can swipe color over it.

on 5/31/2013 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought the French Mani strips for my high school graduation and they worked out really well! I had trouble getting the tips right at first, but once I got the hang of it it was a breeze. I've used Sally Hansen strips before and I find that the trick for me is to stretch the strip slightly over my nail before I lay it down. It helped it adhere better to my nails and get rid of any bubbles underneath. Otherwise I followed the instructions exactly. Another thing-- make sure you file your nails really well beforehand. The clear strips tend to emphasize the ridges. I applied two coats of my essie topcoat and so far it has lasted 8 days with no chips. I even played sports with them on for two days! Highly recommend these!!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't sure about these because the results I got from my first attempt weren't the best, but since I've gotten the hang of applying them, I really like them. There really is a learning curve with these, practice does make perfect, and I strongly recommend reading and following the instructions to a T the first time you apply them, but I've used these literally dozens of times now and I've found a few tips that make application much easier. Your mileage may vary, of course.

1. Get a rubber-tipped cuticle pusher. The strips stick so much better when I use a rubber-tipped pusher instead of the wooden one that comes with the kit. Use it to push back/lift your cuticles and to "burnish" the strip once you have it properly placed on your nail. Burnishing helps the strip adhere better, removes wrinkles, and pushes any little trapped air bubbles out, and the soft rubber tip is gentle on your cuticles and won't tear the strip like the wooden stick will (I found this out the hard way).

2. The strips are more malleable and will adhere better if your hands and nails are warm. The temperature of the room you're in when you apply these can also effect how well they stick: a warmer room is better, but not too hot.

3. The strips can be ~very~ gently stretched to fit all the way across the nail from sidewall to sidewall. You can also push your cuticles back and lift them slightly (be careful and don't push them back too hard or lift them too high), and the strips can then be placed just under the cuticle (you then press the strip to the nail using the rubber-tip pusher). This is great if you're not especially neat with liquid polish and tend to get it all over your cuticles, or if you don't like a gap between the polish and your cuticle. Placing the strips just under the cuticle also extends the life of my manicure, as it takes longer for a gap to show as my nails grow out.

4. In my experience, the solid neon shades are the thinnest strips, and thus the most fragile and easily torn. The non-neon solid shades are a bit thicker, followed by the printed designs, and the glitter shades are the thickest and the easiest of all the strips to stretch.

5. I don't use a base coat, but I do use a top coat. The strips chip within a couple of days without, but with top coat, usually I only get a little tip wear and my manicure lasts from 8 to 14 days. I apply a fresh top coat every 3 days or so if the strips begin to look dull.

6. Clean, dry nails before you start are a must. I recommend using alcohol, polish remover, or acetone to remove all traces of dirt and oil from the nail bed. Don't use polish remover that says "hydrating" or "moisturizing", as these contain oils that will prevent the strips from adhering.

7. The more recent designs (as of this review) seem to be easier to remove than the older designs. I use acetone to remove them, and I soak the glitter strips off. As you can imagine, this is very drying to the nails and skin so if you do it, rehydration via a good cuticle oil and hand creme is a good idea.

8. I can get two manicures out of one package if my nails are on the shorter side. However, I don't cut the strips in half beforehand (another lesson learned the hard way, lol), I apply the strip, file the excess away carefully, and use the excess for the other corresponding nail. If you have long nails or longer nail beds, you may only get one use per package.

As I said, your mileage may vary. For what they are, these are pricy, but there are coupons and sales for them pretty much any given day of the week, so if you shop around you can get a good deal.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love this product so much. I do agree that it takes practice, but anything with your nails typically does. I applied mine with using nail polish remover and just the contents of the product (cuticle pusher/file) and followed the directions exactly the first time. Overall rating is a 4 because of how easy they are to apply, NO dry time, design selection, and that they actually lasted over A WEEK with only minimal removal at the very tip of only one nail. I don't use a top coat because I feel like once it dries it would sort of shrink up on the product causing premature peeling and an inaccurate fit. I gave a 5 for price because they're just about one of the most expensive drugstore nail products available, I think they're worth it because if used correctly you can get two full manis plus accent nails from one box (just make SURE to put the remainder of opened strips in a zip locked bag as air tight as possible). Packaging quality was nice because you can actually see what the pattern is without openin the package. LOVE LOVE LOVE this product I can't believe I've gone this long without knowing about these and ill definitely be repurchasing. If you aren't good at painting your nails, appreciate a good mani but don't want to break your budget at the salon I'd give these a try! XOXXmj

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I really wanted to like these after hearing so much hype about them. There were many cute designs that caught my eye but I only picked up "Laced Up" to try out. They are pretty pricey retailing for AU$14.95 for a pack and I don't think they're worth it. Some of the strips didn't fit my nails and trimming them down would lead to ripping and jagged edges. Some also didn't stick to my nail and required a lot of rubbing. Those that did stick eventually started peeling from the cuticle and got caught in my hair whenever I showered and ended up getting ripped off.
Worst of all, removing them is a nightmare! I must have used a third of a bottle of nail polish remover and a bunch of cotton balls to remove them and still had black flakey residue on my fingers.
Great concept, cute designs but just a hassle to work with in my opinion. I'm sticking to regular nail polish and I'll probably use these on one nail as accents in the future.

on 6/11/2012 9:06:00 PM

Much thicker than Avon's instant manicure, which is no longer made, so application is much more difficult. A lot of rubbing was necessary for it to adhere. Taking them off needed a lot of rubbing with nail polish remover. I used them for my toes, and the widest strip was not wide enough. On my second try, it was better. I got florescent yellow and pink.

Popular Polishes