Sally Hansen salon effects

Filtered by hair type : Curly
Sally Hansen salon effects

3.3

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is the first brand of polish strips I have used. I have been very happy with them and I continue to purchase more because they work so well. I have found I can get two uses out of one box. I found this mentioned on a review/to do video and found it very helpful. I apply a strip and then cut with scissors the excess and use it to apply to the same nail on the next hand. Then I file the ends down. The only time I cannot do it is to my thumbs. I find I can get more then 5 days out of each application. My nails grow very fast so I have some nail showing through. Otherwise I could probably get the application to last longer. I will only purchase these if I find them at Dollar Tree because I think they are overpriced for how many uses I can get.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't sure about these because the results I got from my first attempt weren't the best, but since I've gotten the hang of applying them, I really like them. There really is a learning curve with these, practice does make perfect, and I strongly recommend reading and following the instructions to a T the first time you apply them, but I've used these literally dozens of times now and I've found a few tips that make application much easier. Your mileage may vary, of course.

1. Get a rubber-tipped cuticle pusher. The strips stick so much better when I use a rubber-tipped pusher instead of the wooden one that comes with the kit. Use it to push back/lift your cuticles and to "burnish" the strip once you have it properly placed on your nail. Burnishing helps the strip adhere better, removes wrinkles, and pushes any little trapped air bubbles out, and the soft rubber tip is gentle on your cuticles and won't tear the strip like the wooden stick will (I found this out the hard way).

2. The strips are more malleable and will adhere better if your hands and nails are warm. The temperature of the room you're in when you apply these can also effect how well they stick: a warmer room is better, but not too hot.

3. The strips can be ~very~ gently stretched to fit all the way across the nail from sidewall to sidewall. You can also push your cuticles back and lift them slightly (be careful and don't push them back too hard or lift them too high), and the strips can then be placed just under the cuticle (you then press the strip to the nail using the rubber-tip pusher). This is great if you're not especially neat with liquid polish and tend to get it all over your cuticles, or if you don't like a gap between the polish and your cuticle. Placing the strips just under the cuticle also extends the life of my manicure, as it takes longer for a gap to show as my nails grow out.

4. In my experience, the solid neon shades are the thinnest strips, and thus the most fragile and easily torn. The non-neon solid shades are a bit thicker, followed by the printed designs, and the glitter shades are the thickest and the easiest of all the strips to stretch.

5. I don't use a base coat, but I do use a top coat. The strips chip within a couple of days without, but with top coat, usually I only get a little tip wear and my manicure lasts from 8 to 14 days. I apply a fresh top coat every 3 days or so if the strips begin to look dull.

6. Clean, dry nails before you start are a must. I recommend using alcohol, polish remover, or acetone to remove all traces of dirt and oil from the nail bed. Don't use polish remover that says "hydrating" or "moisturizing", as these contain oils that will prevent the strips from adhering.

7. The more recent designs (as of this review) seem to be easier to remove than the older designs. I use acetone to remove them, and I soak the glitter strips off. As you can imagine, this is very drying to the nails and skin so if you do it, rehydration via a good cuticle oil and hand creme is a good idea.

8. I can get two manicures out of one package if my nails are on the shorter side. However, I don't cut the strips in half beforehand (another lesson learned the hard way, lol), I apply the strip, file the excess away carefully, and use the excess for the other corresponding nail. If you have long nails or longer nail beds, you may only get one use per package.

As I said, your mileage may vary. For what they are, these are pricy, but there are coupons and sales for them pretty much any given day of the week, so if you shop around you can get a good deal.

on 2/24/2013 1:00:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

They were hard to apply, but I finally got them looking pretty good. Unfortunately, they started getting chips, etc. after only a few days, much like regular polish. Actually, it was probably fortunate instead of unfortunate, because it caused me to just go ahead and remove them after a week. I'm glad I did, because my nails underneath were pretty much ruined. Totally dried out, with ridges and a tendency to peel and split. It took months for my nails to improve, and that is because I just had to grow new ones. I would never use this product again.

on 2/23/2013 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I want to start off by saying that I think this product is a bit overpriced. I got it as a gift and was glad that I did, because I was always curious but didn't want to shell out 10 bucks+ to buy it myself. I found the process fairly easy to get used to after the first couple nails. I was very meticulous in making sure that each nail polish sticky was completely flat with the stick before filing off the excess. I didn't even think to cut them in half (but I will definitely be doing that next time!) for two manicures instead of just one. I have long nail beds, and most of the stickies were just about the right size for my nails. For the ones that were a bit too big, I used the cuticle stick that came with it to carefully cut off the excess parts around the side of my nail that touched my skin. I then added three coats of clear top coat to set it. My SIL suggested I wait at least an hour before touching anything, and after a few minutes of being semi-careless, I understood why. I now have a few spots on the very tips of my nails where it rubbed off. It still looks really good though (and way better than I could ever do myself). Definitely not a product for perfectionists who can't deal with a few little creases or bumps. I would recommend this product to anyone who is awful at putting on nail polish like I am and is willing to spend 10 bucks or more on 1-2 manicures.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

If I had done this review three months ago when I first tried these it would probably have been rated a 1. The directions/commercials make them look so easy, and gave me the impression that they would last for DAYS. Well, it may be just me but the first THREE times I tried these they were a complete mess. The ends of my nails would start to "chip" away within a few hours of putting the stickers on, and I was lucky to get the first three batches to last for 1 whole day. Well, I did my fourth attempt two days ago and I think I've finally gotten it down. After two days the whole sticker is still intact on all of my nails. I get compliments on them all the time. It just seemed to be more difficult for me to get the hang of. Practice made perfect. I also had to start "tweaking" the process to make it easier for me to do them and the results were great! Big problem for me though is the price, it's pretty high in my opinion. I would definitely buy them again though as they are not as frustrating as they used to be!<3

on 7/20/2012 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

My 13 year old daughter got these as a gift from her aunt. I told her that she might be pretty dissapointed in them bc they didnt get such glowing reviews....BUT they look great and have stayed on for well over a week - maybe two! She swims and showers often so I am pretty impressed. They look adorable and pretty cool. She has been wearing some kind of geometric pattern/shade that I dont know the name of but they are a fun easy way to spruce up a manicure, I think they are a little pricey for the amount you get but since it is staying on so long it might be worth it.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I bought some Salon Effects in Love Letter! I absolutely love the professional look they give! I just put mine on earlier today. I applied a top coat and accidentally hit the top of my pointer finger. The polish turned stringy and goopy and it was a mess. I ended up having to file my nail down really low to even it out. Aside from that, the product is great. A little tricky to apply but with practice gets easier. :)

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Everyone was gushing about how awesome these were so I went to my local drugstore to pick them up. They cost $10.99CAD which I thought was pretty pricey, but still if everyone loved them so much it should be worth giving it a try. WRONG! I took me about an hour to get these on and i just finished doing my nails and not so long after one of my nails has already peeled off! I'm extremely irritated. I'll just stick to good ol' nail polish for future manicures..

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I decided to give these a shot since I suck at applying traditional nail polish. Apparently, I suck at applying these too. I found the nail stickers to be awkward to apply and despite having a variety of sizes, none of them fit my nails properly. They looked like I had applied cheap bandaids over my nails.

on 1/15/2012 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Putting these on took 90 minutes, the same amount of time I'd spend on a regular manicure, but more annoying and less relaxing. The end effect is ok, not great. And the amount of non-recyclable packaging that was left at the end was a travesty. With coupons, I was able to get the price down from $9.99 to $.50, but it wasn't even worth that!

Popular Polishes