Sally Hansen salon effects

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Sally Hansen salon effects

3.7

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am absolutely in love with this product. Each time I purchase it, I always am so happy with the way my nails come out. I don't purchase them frequently because they cost around $10ish, which is more than a basic manicure. But for when I don't have the time/patience to sit in a nail salon, these are so handy. I am absolutely horrendous at doing my nails. Even when I manage to not make it look as though I allowed my three year old niece to paint them, they are still visibly DIY and chip in less than a day no matter which fancy top coat/products I use. This product is very easy to use and my nails come out looking like a professional manicure every time. They are not stickers, it is actual nail polish somehow and it comes off with nail polish remover. The product claims to last about 10 days, but I find it lasts about 3 or so before the first chip occurs. However, I am also a registered nurse and wash my hands about 1000 times a day. I recently found the color "Glitz Blitz" which is basically just a gold glitter polish for .40 cents at Bed Bah & Beyond so I purchased about five of them just to have. It looks beautiful, a little holiday/NYE-ish which is probably why they were on sale. If you are challenged in the manicure department, please try this product and follow the instructions! You won't be disappointed!

These have become my absolute favorite "nail polish", they are all I've been wearing for the past 2 months or so.
My favorite is Bling it On, a very shimmery pink that sparkles in certain lights at night, but looks pretty natural and not overdone.
They are very easy to put on, you just pick the strips that you think best fit your nails, peel and apply. I wear my nails short-ish, so I can easily use one strip for the matching fingers on both hands. One word of caution: they do dry up, so you can't keep an open package too long because you won't be able to use the strips. I'm sure this can be fixed by taping the little packet with the remaining strips shut, but I'm too lazy to do this - my fault.

I can't successfully wear nail polish because the bad texture of my own nails shows through, you can see the ridges and discoloration (thank you Shellac!), so these strips are a godsend, because they hide the texture very well.

They last a really long time, my last install lasted me almost 2 weeks! I only had to remove them because of the growth at the base of the nail, otherwise they still looked pretty good. They do rub off a bit at the tips, but especially with this color, it's unnoticeable.

The price is high, the cheapest I've found is Walmart - almost $9 - but I heard some people find them at the Dollar store...I did find them there once at $2, but the design was ugly as they were made for Halloween lol.

I also have the Lace ? (I forgot the name) ones, they are cute too, but the strip of polish is thicker than Bling it on, and more fragile, it doesn't last more than 5 days on me.

I will try other designs too, because I truly like these.
I will keep buying these, I absolutely love them.

I really, really wanted to love these. I purchased my first box (Sweet Marble Floret) at Target, it was about $10. I went home, followed the box directions and applied. It looked nice, but I was wary when the box said it would last 7-10 days. I noticed by day 2 there were chips on 3 nails. By day 4 every nail was chipped to the point that it looked awkward and kind of trashy. The box states you can use polish remover to take them off. Ummm... I spent a good 30 minutes alternating soaking my nails in remover then scrubbing them with a cotton ball. Soak, scrub, soak, scrub. It barely came off and it left gooey globs of the strips all over my fingers. Those stayed for 2 days.
My friend swore by these things and couldn't believe my bad experience so she bought me another box (Bling it on). Again, followed the directions, applied, I didn't even make it a day and it was chipping off. Trying to get that glitter coated strip off my nails was harder than recovering from surgery. It's been 3 days and I still have glitter residue all over my nails and fingers. I look like an out of work stripper. Maybe my nails aren't suited for these, I think it's a nice concept but based off 2 failed attempts I won't be purchasing again.

on 5/11/2014 2:58:00 AM

I love these for when I am pressed for time - I always keep a box around. It comes with everything you need to apply, and I can do it in about 10 minutes. I've even done it immediately before taking a shower. My favorite are the variety of french manicures. I would like to see more subdued colors and patterns. They go on flawless for me and last at least a week - the trick is to get the perfect size for each nail (and slightly thinner than your nail bed is much better than slightly wider), hold them in the middle and smooth them on quickly, using the orange stick to smooth any bubbles, and to press them down hard over your nail tip and then file only in a downward motion to remove the excess. Brilliant invention.

I HATE THIS STUFF!

I purchased the set in Lust-rous, a pretty black with gold and silver chunky sparkles. Application was easy, and the manual was great. It was also wonderful that it came with a cuticle pusher and a nail file (although it was made somewhat cheaply.)

Soon enough, in a matter of 12 hours these chipped. On the box, it says that they last 10 days, and I think that claim is waaaaaay off. By the third day, all of my nails chipped.

These are also super uncomfortable on the nails. When I brush my fingers through my hair, the wax strips almost get like caught in my hair? I don't really know how to describe it, but it feels super uncomfortable and I was itching to get them off as soon as possible.

I tried to take them off with my amazing nail polish remover (it takes off almost EVERYTHING) but the nail polish wouldn't budge. I was frustrated-- how can a product chip so easily but then be so hard to remove? I finally used some aluminum foil and soaked the nails with remover but still there was a lot of residue left. I had to take three showers for all of it to come off of my nails. My nails were in awful condition--dry, brittle, and weak.

For $10, I reccomend going to the store and buying a good OPI or Essie. I feel so stupid for wasting my money on these. Will NEVER repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

They're okay enough, I guess. What I really dislike about these is that they're hard to get flat against the nail if you have longer nails, like I do. It's very hard to get it not to wrinkle for me. I've only ever used the lace patterns, so the wrinkles don't show unless I'm looking for it, but considering that it is pretty expensive (I paid about nine bucks, for one use!) and it would definitely show up in a different pattern, I'm a little unhappy about it. I would buy them again though, this little kink just bothers me a lot.

on 5/16/2013 8:29:00 PM

A lot of people giving negative reviews did not use these properly in my opinion. First of all, wait several hours before doing any chores/dishes/showers! This IS nail polish, it HAS to set on your nails, it isn't magically perfect within an hour, seriously, wtf now! Haha I love them. I put them on and do not put my hands in water for at least 3-4 hours and also I put a top coat on and they last a few weeks, perfect! Worth the money. Easy to apply once you get the hang of it!

I have just tested out a couple of sample strips from a magazine. The key to applying these is to make sure that your nails have no oil or dirt on them so go over your nails with nail polish remover. Then when you get the right position on your nails, gently press down and smooth over with an orange stick or the end of a makeup brush. If the sticker is having a hard time adhering to the nail use your other fingers to gently press and smooth over the sticker, especially at the tips!. The warmth from your fingers will help the sticker adhere. When you are sure the sticker is on your nail completely bend the sticker 90 degrees and file away!

It wasn't that hard to put the stickers on but i don't know how long they'll last. I can already see some areas lifting and maybe a top coat will fix that.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't sure about these because the results I got from my first attempt weren't the best, but since I've gotten the hang of applying them, I really like them. There really is a learning curve with these, practice does make perfect, and I strongly recommend reading and following the instructions to a T the first time you apply them, but I've used these literally dozens of times now and I've found a few tips that make application much easier. Your mileage may vary, of course.

1. Get a rubber-tipped cuticle pusher. The strips stick so much better when I use a rubber-tipped pusher instead of the wooden one that comes with the kit. Use it to push back/lift your cuticles and to "burnish" the strip once you have it properly placed on your nail. Burnishing helps the strip adhere better, removes wrinkles, and pushes any little trapped air bubbles out, and the soft rubber tip is gentle on your cuticles and won't tear the strip like the wooden stick will (I found this out the hard way).

2. The strips are more malleable and will adhere better if your hands and nails are warm. The temperature of the room you're in when you apply these can also effect how well they stick: a warmer room is better, but not too hot.

3. The strips can be ~very~ gently stretched to fit all the way across the nail from sidewall to sidewall. You can also push your cuticles back and lift them slightly (be careful and don't push them back too hard or lift them too high), and the strips can then be placed just under the cuticle (you then press the strip to the nail using the rubber-tip pusher). This is great if you're not especially neat with liquid polish and tend to get it all over your cuticles, or if you don't like a gap between the polish and your cuticle. Placing the strips just under the cuticle also extends the life of my manicure, as it takes longer for a gap to show as my nails grow out.

4. In my experience, the solid neon shades are the thinnest strips, and thus the most fragile and easily torn. The non-neon solid shades are a bit thicker, followed by the printed designs, and the glitter shades are the thickest and the easiest of all the strips to stretch.

5. I don't use a base coat, but I do use a top coat. The strips chip within a couple of days without, but with top coat, usually I only get a little tip wear and my manicure lasts from 8 to 14 days. I apply a fresh top coat every 3 days or so if the strips begin to look dull.

6. Clean, dry nails before you start are a must. I recommend using alcohol, polish remover, or acetone to remove all traces of dirt and oil from the nail bed. Don't use polish remover that says "hydrating" or "moisturizing", as these contain oils that will prevent the strips from adhering.

7. The more recent designs (as of this review) seem to be easier to remove than the older designs. I use acetone to remove them, and I soak the glitter strips off. As you can imagine, this is very drying to the nails and skin so if you do it, rehydration via a good cuticle oil and hand creme is a good idea.

8. I can get two manicures out of one package if my nails are on the shorter side. However, I don't cut the strips in half beforehand (another lesson learned the hard way, lol), I apply the strip, file the excess away carefully, and use the excess for the other corresponding nail. If you have long nails or longer nail beds, you may only get one use per package.

As I said, your mileage may vary. For what they are, these are pricy, but there are coupons and sales for them pretty much any given day of the week, so if you shop around you can get a good deal.

on 3/4/2013 8:28:00 PM

This stuff is crap. It is cleaner and less time consuming to use polish. Ugh. So many tiny pieces of sticker and foil everywhere, and no size or shape worked with my small hands. I tried the French manicure style, so maybe the multi-part process was even more difficult to apply than solid colors. Will NEVER repurchase.

Popular Polishes