Sally Hansen salon effects

Sally Hansen salon effects

3.3

on 5/2/2015 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I bought a pack of these on special for NZ$8 - full price was NZ$20. I got #240 Check It Out which is a black and white dogstooth pattern. My main reason I purchased these was to do statement/feature nails, so one on each hand, and that way they pack would last me a long time and be worth the price. The first time I used it was awesome. So so easy, instructions were easy. They lasted a good week and 2 different colour polishes on the other nails before starting to chip. However, I failed to see the tiny instruction on the other side of the box stating "Open, Unused strips should be discarded". Even if I had seen that I would have just guessed it was ones that you had peeled off the plastic strip. I tried to do my nails again today and they had all completely dried out at the back, no stickiness whatsoever, I was so confused I thought it may just be the sizes I had picked but no, the others I tried were the same. I have managed to push and pull them and they are sticking for now but I don't know how long these ones will work. Next time I will know to tape them up or something so the air doesn't dry them out, but I am not going to let it go to waste so I am going to try using foil glue and see if that will help the others stick. If it does, then $8 is a good price - if not, then $8 for 2 nails is a ridiculous waste!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A little late to be writing a review, but I tried these last year with a few different patterns. One was the "love letters" and the other was a red and black patchwork pattern. The love letters was great. It lasted on my nails until it actually grew out. The black and red didn't last more than two days. I found that very odd. I used the same type of application, it's very easy to apply once you get the hang of it.
If it does last as long as my first one (the love letters), I don't mind the price and the time it took me to apply. It took me about an hour. But as far as the second only lasting two days, that's a bust as far as I'm concerned.
It's not something I would repurchase tho, I'm not really a fan of this company. I much prefer cruelty-free companies and for that reason plus the fact that one package lasted and the other didn't, there doesn't seem to be uniform consistency in the product.
I think other MUA'ers have great ideas on how to use the product and get more bang for your buck tho. It's far too expensive to just purchase outright and waste the extras in the package. I have tried some other similar types out on the market, none with success either. I'll just stick to my polish for right now. That's difficult enough sometimes....

on 2/24/2013 1:00:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

They were hard to apply, but I finally got them looking pretty good. Unfortunately, they started getting chips, etc. after only a few days, much like regular polish. Actually, it was probably fortunate instead of unfortunate, because it caused me to just go ahead and remove them after a week. I'm glad I did, because my nails underneath were pretty much ruined. Totally dried out, with ridges and a tendency to peel and split. It took months for my nails to improve, and that is because I just had to grow new ones. I would never use this product again.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Salon Effects ohh how I love thee! There are the cutest colors and patterns and there seem to be new ones every week! I agree with the reviews that say these are not for perfectionists, as it is highly unlikely that the stickers will fit your exact size for every nail, so a sliver of your nails may show on either side, or the sticker may slightly cover your skin around the nails. Easy to apply and reasonably priced. The biggest con for me is that they do not lie as flat as polish does, so when I run my fingers through my hair some strands get caught under the sticker and break! Ugh!! I am trying to remember to use my finger tips only. But these are too much fun and I have bought many and will continue to do so!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

If I had done this review three months ago when I first tried these it would probably have been rated a 1. The directions/commercials make them look so easy, and gave me the impression that they would last for DAYS. Well, it may be just me but the first THREE times I tried these they were a complete mess. The ends of my nails would start to "chip" away within a few hours of putting the stickers on, and I was lucky to get the first three batches to last for 1 whole day. Well, I did my fourth attempt two days ago and I think I've finally gotten it down. After two days the whole sticker is still intact on all of my nails. I get compliments on them all the time. It just seemed to be more difficult for me to get the hang of. Practice made perfect. I also had to start "tweaking" the process to make it easier for me to do them and the results were great! Big problem for me though is the price, it's pretty high in my opinion. I would definitely buy them again though as they are not as frustrating as they used to be!<3

on 8/13/2012 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Coarse

These were sooooo easy to apply! I'm not big into nail art, but wanted to try these out. If these came in metallic colors, I'd probably wear them only. They lasted a really long time too, tip wear started to show after 8 or 9 days, but I did put a clear top coat over them. If you like the designs, snatch these babies up. Oh and did I mention no dry time? Yowzaaas

on 7/20/2012 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

My 13 year old daughter got these as a gift from her aunt. I told her that she might be pretty dissapointed in them bc they didnt get such glowing reviews....BUT they look great and have stayed on for well over a week - maybe two! She swims and showers often so I am pretty impressed. They look adorable and pretty cool. She has been wearing some kind of geometric pattern/shade that I dont know the name of but they are a fun easy way to spruce up a manicure, I think they are a little pricey for the amount you get but since it is staying on so long it might be worth it.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I really wanted to like these after hearing so much hype about them. There were many cute designs that caught my eye but I only picked up "Laced Up" to try out. They are pretty pricey retailing for AU$14.95 for a pack and I don't think they're worth it. Some of the strips didn't fit my nails and trimming them down would lead to ripping and jagged edges. Some also didn't stick to my nail and required a lot of rubbing. Those that did stick eventually started peeling from the cuticle and got caught in my hair whenever I showered and ended up getting ripped off.
Worst of all, removing them is a nightmare! I must have used a third of a bottle of nail polish remover and a bunch of cotton balls to remove them and still had black flakey residue on my fingers.
Great concept, cute designs but just a hassle to work with in my opinion. I'm sticking to regular nail polish and I'll probably use these on one nail as accents in the future.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Well, its hard to say if I would or wouldn't buy these again. I said yes, because the quality of the product is good! But for me, I like to change polish frequently and the cost of these makes me cringe to only wear them a day. They would be GREAT for a vacation/business trip, etc. when you need something that will last through the entire time. There is a bit of a learning curve to getting them on correctly, but it isn't a steep one. And some of the patterns are completely adorable!

I love these things to death. I've bought many boxes and only had minor issues with one. Definitely clean your nails well before use and try not to touch the sticky part where it will go on your nail. Mine usually last 8 to 10 days and I work retail so they get beat up fairly well ;P

Popular Polishes