Sally Hansen salon effects

Sally Hansen salon effects

3.7

on 5/2/2015 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I bought a pack of these on special for NZ$8 - full price was NZ$20. I got #240 Check It Out which is a black and white dogstooth pattern. My main reason I purchased these was to do statement/feature nails, so one on each hand, and that way they pack would last me a long time and be worth the price. The first time I used it was awesome. So so easy, instructions were easy. They lasted a good week and 2 different colour polishes on the other nails before starting to chip. However, I failed to see the tiny instruction on the other side of the box stating "Open, Unused strips should be discarded". Even if I had seen that I would have just guessed it was ones that you had peeled off the plastic strip. I tried to do my nails again today and they had all completely dried out at the back, no stickiness whatsoever, I was so confused I thought it may just be the sizes I had picked but no, the others I tried were the same. I have managed to push and pull them and they are sticking for now but I don't know how long these ones will work. Next time I will know to tape them up or something so the air doesn't dry them out, but I am not going to let it go to waste so I am going to try using foil glue and see if that will help the others stick. If it does, then $8 is a good price - if not, then $8 for 2 nails is a ridiculous waste!

These have become my absolute favorite "nail polish", they are all I've been wearing for the past 2 months or so.
My favorite is Bling it On, a very shimmery pink that sparkles in certain lights at night, but looks pretty natural and not overdone.
They are very easy to put on, you just pick the strips that you think best fit your nails, peel and apply. I wear my nails short-ish, so I can easily use one strip for the matching fingers on both hands. One word of caution: they do dry up, so you can't keep an open package too long because you won't be able to use the strips. I'm sure this can be fixed by taping the little packet with the remaining strips shut, but I'm too lazy to do this - my fault.

I can't successfully wear nail polish because the bad texture of my own nails shows through, you can see the ridges and discoloration (thank you Shellac!), so these strips are a godsend, because they hide the texture very well.

They last a really long time, my last install lasted me almost 2 weeks! I only had to remove them because of the growth at the base of the nail, otherwise they still looked pretty good. They do rub off a bit at the tips, but especially with this color, it's unnoticeable.

The price is high, the cheapest I've found is Walmart - almost $9 - but I heard some people find them at the Dollar store...I did find them there once at $2, but the design was ugly as they were made for Halloween lol.

I also have the Lace ? (I forgot the name) ones, they are cute too, but the strip of polish is thicker than Bling it on, and more fragile, it doesn't last more than 5 days on me.

I will try other designs too, because I truly like these.
I will keep buying these, I absolutely love them.

I really, really wanted to love these. I purchased my first box (Sweet Marble Floret) at Target, it was about $10. I went home, followed the box directions and applied. It looked nice, but I was wary when the box said it would last 7-10 days. I noticed by day 2 there were chips on 3 nails. By day 4 every nail was chipped to the point that it looked awkward and kind of trashy. The box states you can use polish remover to take them off. Ummm... I spent a good 30 minutes alternating soaking my nails in remover then scrubbing them with a cotton ball. Soak, scrub, soak, scrub. It barely came off and it left gooey globs of the strips all over my fingers. Those stayed for 2 days.
My friend swore by these things and couldn't believe my bad experience so she bought me another box (Bling it on). Again, followed the directions, applied, I didn't even make it a day and it was chipping off. Trying to get that glitter coated strip off my nails was harder than recovering from surgery. It's been 3 days and I still have glitter residue all over my nails and fingers. I look like an out of work stripper. Maybe my nails aren't suited for these, I think it's a nice concept but based off 2 failed attempts I won't be purchasing again.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is the first brand of polish strips I have used. I have been very happy with them and I continue to purchase more because they work so well. I have found I can get two uses out of one box. I found this mentioned on a review/to do video and found it very helpful. I apply a strip and then cut with scissors the excess and use it to apply to the same nail on the next hand. Then I file the ends down. The only time I cannot do it is to my thumbs. I find I can get more then 5 days out of each application. My nails grow very fast so I have some nail showing through. Otherwise I could probably get the application to last longer. I will only purchase these if I find them at Dollar Tree because I think they are overpriced for how many uses I can get.

on 9/10/2014 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Here's how I use these awesome polish strips: I put down a coat of Orly Bonder before applying and a top coat after. I love to use these as accent nails or tip with polish (try Kitty Kitty with a vampy red, or I Love Lacey with a black tip!). Also, I can use one set for a manicure and pedicure because I have small nails and cut them in half (or thirds for toes).

on 8/27/2014 12:42:00 AM

I have been using the French Mani w/ light pink tint. They last 2 wks on me. They are shiny, easy to apply, & I've had compliments. I keep nails pretty sporty/short. And I apply a Shiny Top coat. Love

on 5/11/2014 2:58:00 AM

I love these for when I am pressed for time - I always keep a box around. It comes with everything you need to apply, and I can do it in about 10 minutes. I've even done it immediately before taking a shower. My favorite are the variety of french manicures. I would like to see more subdued colors and patterns. They go on flawless for me and last at least a week - the trick is to get the perfect size for each nail (and slightly thinner than your nail bed is much better than slightly wider), hold them in the middle and smooth them on quickly, using the orange stick to smooth any bubbles, and to press them down hard over your nail tip and then file only in a downward motion to remove the excess. Brilliant invention.

on 1/5/2014 7:04:00 PM

I nearly just had a fit trying to apply the "French Mani" version of these. I have tried a few other patterns which actually did last about a week each and looked great. The French ones however, did not live up to my expectations. I just spent about an hour trying to apply these and they are uneven and fit my nails awkwardly. I feel like for 10.99 CAD I could have spent the same and gotten numerous applications of white and nude colour polishes and done a better job myself. Also, I ended up with an obsene amount of garbage at the end- definitely do not recommend if you have small children or pets around because the pieces of garbage are small and easy to miss while cleaning up.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I love these. I use them on my toenails and they last until they grow out. My toes are small and I keep the nails pretty short, so I can often use the same strip for, say, both big toes, both little toes...you get the picture. The easiest way to get them down to the right length is to apply the polish-sticker to your toe and then use nail scissors to cut right around the end of your toenail, and just file the little bit that's left. Also, I just a glass file and not the paper one that comes with the kit.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A little late to be writing a review, but I tried these last year with a few different patterns. One was the "love letters" and the other was a red and black patchwork pattern. The love letters was great. It lasted on my nails until it actually grew out. The black and red didn't last more than two days. I found that very odd. I used the same type of application, it's very easy to apply once you get the hang of it.
If it does last as long as my first one (the love letters), I don't mind the price and the time it took me to apply. It took me about an hour. But as far as the second only lasting two days, that's a bust as far as I'm concerned.
It's not something I would repurchase tho, I'm not really a fan of this company. I much prefer cruelty-free companies and for that reason plus the fact that one package lasted and the other didn't, there doesn't seem to be uniform consistency in the product.
I think other MUA'ers have great ideas on how to use the product and get more bang for your buck tho. It's far too expensive to just purchase outright and waste the extras in the package. I have tried some other similar types out on the market, none with success either. I'll just stick to my polish for right now. That's difficult enough sometimes....

Popular Polishes