Sally Hansen salon effects

Sally Hansen salon effects

3.6

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Neutral

I love these things! They wear really well and look pretty awesome, if you're into nail art.
My trick is to seal the edge of these after I apply them, with a acetone. I just dip a small brush in acetone and then run it around all the edges of the sticker. Not just the free edge but also around the cuticle and the sides. Don't over do it, because it can melt them, since they are made of polish.
You can only do this with the glitters and the designs though, not with the solid colors. If you try to do it with the solids it will melt the pigment right away.
Also I apply a slow drying top coat on top of these to make them extra shinny and extend the wear. I prefer Nail Tek II Intensive Therapy. I apply it right after I put these on and then every couple of days after that.
With this I've been able to wear these for over a week with very little signs of wear. I only change them because the outgrowth is too obvious, after 9 or so days. Haven't had them chip, just a little tip wear.
Also, if you have short nails and are careful you can cut each of these in half and use one pack for a full mani. Once you open a pack you have to use these within a day, because they dry up.

on 3/1/2011 6:34:00 PM

I was excited to see this product come on the market after being a fan of Minx, and thrilled about the price at $10 vs $50(Minx). It took me about an hour to apply them. I followed the directions given but did a few things on my own.....first I made sure that I had my blow dryer handy (it is key that your hands, as well as the product are warm) I used the blow dryer to warm my hands and then, after applying to the nails, on the actual product once it was on the nail. I also cheated and used one nail adhesive for two nails! This way I could get two manicures in one box :o) Hope this helps a little :o)

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't sure about these because the results I got from my first attempt weren't the best, but since I've gotten the hang of applying them, I really like them. There really is a learning curve with these, practice does make perfect, and I strongly recommend reading and following the instructions to a T the first time you apply them, but I've used these literally dozens of times now and I've found a few tips that make application much easier. Your mileage may vary, of course.

1. Get a rubber-tipped cuticle pusher. The strips stick so much better when I use a rubber-tipped pusher instead of the wooden one that comes with the kit. Use it to push back/lift your cuticles and to "burnish" the strip once you have it properly placed on your nail. Burnishing helps the strip adhere better, removes wrinkles, and pushes any little trapped air bubbles out, and the soft rubber tip is gentle on your cuticles and won't tear the strip like the wooden stick will (I found this out the hard way).

2. The strips are more malleable and will adhere better if your hands and nails are warm. The temperature of the room you're in when you apply these can also effect how well they stick: a warmer room is better, but not too hot.

3. The strips can be ~very~ gently stretched to fit all the way across the nail from sidewall to sidewall. You can also push your cuticles back and lift them slightly (be careful and don't push them back too hard or lift them too high), and the strips can then be placed just under the cuticle (you then press the strip to the nail using the rubber-tip pusher). This is great if you're not especially neat with liquid polish and tend to get it all over your cuticles, or if you don't like a gap between the polish and your cuticle. Placing the strips just under the cuticle also extends the life of my manicure, as it takes longer for a gap to show as my nails grow out.

4. In my experience, the solid neon shades are the thinnest strips, and thus the most fragile and easily torn. The non-neon solid shades are a bit thicker, followed by the printed designs, and the glitter shades are the thickest and the easiest of all the strips to stretch.

5. I don't use a base coat, but I do use a top coat. The strips chip within a couple of days without, but with top coat, usually I only get a little tip wear and my manicure lasts from 8 to 14 days. I apply a fresh top coat every 3 days or so if the strips begin to look dull.

6. Clean, dry nails before you start are a must. I recommend using alcohol, polish remover, or acetone to remove all traces of dirt and oil from the nail bed. Don't use polish remover that says "hydrating" or "moisturizing", as these contain oils that will prevent the strips from adhering.

7. The more recent designs (as of this review) seem to be easier to remove than the older designs. I use acetone to remove them, and I soak the glitter strips off. As you can imagine, this is very drying to the nails and skin so if you do it, rehydration via a good cuticle oil and hand creme is a good idea.

8. I can get two manicures out of one package if my nails are on the shorter side. However, I don't cut the strips in half beforehand (another lesson learned the hard way, lol), I apply the strip, file the excess away carefully, and use the excess for the other corresponding nail. If you have long nails or longer nail beds, you may only get one use per package.

As I said, your mileage may vary. For what they are, these are pricy, but there are coupons and sales for them pretty much any given day of the week, so if you shop around you can get a good deal.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

These are so easy and look great! i bought these yesterday at CVS for $10, a little expensive for a one-time use product but seeing as these just came out last month, will surely go on sale. Also, I don't mind the cost as it is not something i would do often or it would lose it's specialty. I have never had Minx nails so I can't comment on quality similarity but I've always liked the look so when i stumbled upon these I thought, why not?! i got the leopard print, which is a shimmery gold base with brown spots and it looks SO nice on, not tacky or cheap at all! It took me about 20 minutes total, to push my cuticles back, buff, and file nails (comes with the needed tools) and apply. It was actually easier than I thought, and the sizes were perfect for me. I started with the second smallest on my pinky nail and used the four next sizes on each finger. For a few fingers the nail was slightly wider than the sticker, but once I placed the edge right at my cuticle I stretched it a little as instructed and then ran over the edges with the wooden stick as instructed and they stretched to the perfect size. Peeling them off and reapplying once or twice if the alignment is messed up was not a problem. More than 36 hours later mine look perfect with no chips! I think the key is to really run over the entire nail with the stick and seal it in place. I also had no problem with filing them to the correct length. After you press on the sticker and seal it, you bend the excess over the nail and crease it on the edge, then file with the soft side of the included filer until it cuts it. This only took a few seconds on each and didn't create any rips or tears like I thought it might. Another perk is because it comes with 16 strips, if you do happen to mess up a few there is extra and you can easily cut one, or after sealing it carefully tear the excess off with the file. Super fun, and honestly although they say they last up to 10 days, I'm not sure I would even want mine on that long, a weekend of leopard nails is probably enough for me!

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Take note of these tips:
- Buy these on eBay! I got 5 packs for just $5 from an eBay seller.
- Cut the strips in half to get two manicures in one pack.

on 5/11/2011 11:30:00 PM

Tu Tu Much (a pretty pale pink) is so super sheer and not worth the money. A single coat of any baby pink out there would give you the same, and not to mention, a better effect. I was SO disappointed because the swatch on the display looks nothing like what the applique turned out to be - a sheer wash of pink. Deceiving and a waste of money.

OTHER THAN THAT! I love that Salon Effects in patterns such as Miss Behaved and Kitty Kitty, etc. It's complicated nail art made easy.

on 4/30/2011 4:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I LOVE this product. As someone whos nails seem to reject nail polish I was blown away by not only the ease with which it goes on but how long it stays. When I paint my nails it takes me about an hour and half to do the coats necessary and make sure I have an amazing top coat and even then you can guarantee my nails will chip within 24 hours.

I have had my Sally Hansen Salon Effects (gold glitter called "Glitz Blitz") on for 10 days now and only one nail is chipped! They were so quick and easy to apply and the biggest problem I've had is my nails growing out which is a problem I never thought I'd be fortunate enough to have.

They didn't lose their shine or bright colour at all and even resisted cracking when my natural nails bend.

I don't think I will ever go back to liquid nails polish after this experience! The amazing designs attracted me to them at first but they have proven themselves as a staple. I am hoping in the future that Sally Hansen will release a larger line that includes a lot of basic colours because as much as I love the fun designs they're not always suitable for work.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. I had all but given up on nail polish before stumbling across these. While they are a little on the expensive side when you consider how many uses you get from a bottle of nail polish they are worth every cent and to be honest I would pay a lot more for them purely for their staying power, the designs are just an added bonus. I'll definitely be stocking up.

A hint i would give is if you have short nails only use half a strip for each nail, that way you will get 2 uses out of a box instead of one! I also think its important to have warm hands when you apply them because it really seems to help them stick.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I just applied this product for the first time - I chose Misbehaved, the gold with black fishnet overtop - and I am already in love with it. At first, I struggled...because I skimmed the instructions and messed up a lot of the process. It was a mess. Million percent my fault. Once I actually read the instructions (and laughed at myself for being so stupid), the rest of them went on so simply. Had I not failed so hard at first, the whole process would've taken maybe 15 minutes. They look beautiful - so smooth and shiny! If there's a tiny bit of overlap onto your skin, these cut really easily with cuticle nippers.

My nails are pretty short so I managed to use one strip for two nails (do each thumb with the same piece) so that increases the value for me, as I'll get two manicures out of this. It's a pretty pricey product at $10, but I think it's worth it. You also get an orange stick and a mini file/buffer which is kind of a plus as you can use either of those things for other things afterwards. I would probably only get them for special occasions. It's an easy way to get some artwork or designs on your nails without paying for a professional manicure. And they're really, really easy to apply. A way to make the most out of this product is to use them as accent nails. For example, paint all nails black except the ring finger, and put Laced Up on that nail. You can get lots of manicures out of them that way. If they last 3 or more days, I'll be pleased. Give them a try; they're really fun

EDIT: six days later and they're still going strong. Very slight tip wear but it's not noticeable unless you're staring and looking for it. Growth is starting to show though. Love these!

EDIT 2: I have tried several of the patterns now and can say that Raise A Glass (gold-y champagne) and Misbehaved (gold with fishnet) have the best staying power. The strips feel thinner and stick better to the nail without lifting. Fly With Me (white with butterflies), Laced Up (lace pattern) and Cut It Out (black and white flowers) were all thicker and didn't last as long, and I experienced some lifting. I still love them though, some of them just don't last as long/are thicker and don't stick as well as others.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Wasn't real sure about these when I saw them at Wal-Mart, but thought, WTH? They are SO easy and fun!! They're a slightly stretchy vinyl that adheres to your clean nails. Make sure you follow the directions and you can't go wrong. They're very easy. When I was wearing the Houndstooth checked design, I had a lady stop me IN TRAFFIC for me to tell her who did my nails. "I did!" Lots of fun patterns, glitters, bright funky colors. The directions didn't specify to use a top coat but I find if I use The Rock top coat, it stays put longer. Also put them on my toes tonight. Can't wait til sandal weather to show off all the cute designs!!

on 9/25/2012 12:10:00 AM

Love these strips!!
Piggy-backing on what others have said:
1) there is a learning curve. Follow the directions EXACTLY the first time to get a feel for them. THEN, put a topcoat on.
2) after you've got the hang of it, you can open 1 pack of the strips -8 in a pack- and cut some in half and get a full hand out of 1 pack. So, TWO manicures per box. Make sure you put the second pack in a Ziploc.
3) after you've got it down, a base coat is a must. Orly Bonder for me, but there's no room for error when you start placing a strip with Bonder. Bonder makes them STAY.

I love the fun designs. Especially the one that looks like denim. Really fun but not wild. I buy them at Five Below for $3 a box, so $1.50 per mani is a steal.

Popular Polishes