Sally Hansen salon effects

Filtered by age: 44-55
Sally Hansen salon effects

3.8

on 8/27/2014 12:42:00 AM

I have been using the French Mani w/ light pink tint. They last 2 wks on me. They are shiny, easy to apply, & I've had compliments. I keep nails pretty sporty/short. And I apply a Shiny Top coat. Love

I purchased the French Manicure today--my first go-round with nail polish strips of any kind. I found the French manicure to be finicky to apply simply because it's hard to properly position the white "tip" portion properly. BTW, the French mani is a two step process, after applying the white tip you then size up your nails and apply the clear layer. I found they were fairly stretchy and appreciate the application tips from other gals who suggested cutting them in half! What a great idea! I'll also apply a top coat as recommended. I wish they would provide more size options in the package, however. I'm a tall lady with larger hands and nails so the largest strip barely fits across my thumb and the smallest one is way too tiny for anything. Having said all that, I would buy nail strips again (on sale only--they're pretty expensive). Pretty cool idea!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't sure about these because the results I got from my first attempt weren't the best, but since I've gotten the hang of applying them, I really like them. There really is a learning curve with these, practice does make perfect, and I strongly recommend reading and following the instructions to a T the first time you apply them, but I've used these literally dozens of times now and I've found a few tips that make application much easier. Your mileage may vary, of course.

1. Get a rubber-tipped cuticle pusher. The strips stick so much better when I use a rubber-tipped pusher instead of the wooden one that comes with the kit. Use it to push back/lift your cuticles and to "burnish" the strip once you have it properly placed on your nail. Burnishing helps the strip adhere better, removes wrinkles, and pushes any little trapped air bubbles out, and the soft rubber tip is gentle on your cuticles and won't tear the strip like the wooden stick will (I found this out the hard way).

2. The strips are more malleable and will adhere better if your hands and nails are warm. The temperature of the room you're in when you apply these can also effect how well they stick: a warmer room is better, but not too hot.

3. The strips can be ~very~ gently stretched to fit all the way across the nail from sidewall to sidewall. You can also push your cuticles back and lift them slightly (be careful and don't push them back too hard or lift them too high), and the strips can then be placed just under the cuticle (you then press the strip to the nail using the rubber-tip pusher). This is great if you're not especially neat with liquid polish and tend to get it all over your cuticles, or if you don't like a gap between the polish and your cuticle. Placing the strips just under the cuticle also extends the life of my manicure, as it takes longer for a gap to show as my nails grow out.

4. In my experience, the solid neon shades are the thinnest strips, and thus the most fragile and easily torn. The non-neon solid shades are a bit thicker, followed by the printed designs, and the glitter shades are the thickest and the easiest of all the strips to stretch.

5. I don't use a base coat, but I do use a top coat. The strips chip within a couple of days without, but with top coat, usually I only get a little tip wear and my manicure lasts from 8 to 14 days. I apply a fresh top coat every 3 days or so if the strips begin to look dull.

6. Clean, dry nails before you start are a must. I recommend using alcohol, polish remover, or acetone to remove all traces of dirt and oil from the nail bed. Don't use polish remover that says "hydrating" or "moisturizing", as these contain oils that will prevent the strips from adhering.

7. The more recent designs (as of this review) seem to be easier to remove than the older designs. I use acetone to remove them, and I soak the glitter strips off. As you can imagine, this is very drying to the nails and skin so if you do it, rehydration via a good cuticle oil and hand creme is a good idea.

8. I can get two manicures out of one package if my nails are on the shorter side. However, I don't cut the strips in half beforehand (another lesson learned the hard way, lol), I apply the strip, file the excess away carefully, and use the excess for the other corresponding nail. If you have long nails or longer nail beds, you may only get one use per package.

As I said, your mileage may vary. For what they are, these are pricy, but there are coupons and sales for them pretty much any given day of the week, so if you shop around you can get a good deal.

on 7/12/2012 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great new way to glam up your nails. Here are my pros and cons:

PROS:
* lasts forever if you use a decent top coat (maybe base coat too?)
* No chipping for me - but I don't get chips with regular polish either
* great individual look (so many designs available)
* cut them in half to reduce number used (see my caution below)

CONS:
* REALLY hard to remove - use the sponge dip style remover
* people will ask you about them - be prepared for this
* for a great look, you have to be quite exact with application
* keep the unused ones in plastic wrap (see CAUTION below)

CAUTION: I cut some of the 'nails' in half intending to use them later. When I went back to wanting to use those, they would not stick! There's a reason why they're hermetically sealed. So use one of the two packages with a friend. Or try sealing tightly with plastic wrap, as maybe they don't like being exposed to air?

My PROS and CONS are pretty even. But I'm looking at this product as a pro, due to its uniqueness. Just remember that you have to take a fair bit of time to put these on and have them look good, in addition to needing a good amount of time when you want to take them off.

UPDATE - Feb. 8, 2013 : Lippies removed from 4 to 1, and I wish I could have given this product a big fat ZERO!

I am staying as far away from this product as I can, and suggest you do as well. The 'concept' is great, but until Sally Hansen (and other companies that now have this product out) find a way for you to remove these 'nail tapes' easily and gently, I will never use them again. My nails were very damaged from everything I had to do to get these 'nail tapes' off. I suffered with a number of ridges on my nails and my nails took a very long time for them to grow out to a point where there looked good with nothing on them. Be forewarned.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

These are terrific if you go slowly, read the directions, and practice. My daughter begged me to get these for her, and I did her nails first. They came out just okay, but she peeled them right off. I was intrigued, so I bought the one with blue sparkles, and followed the directions exactly. I suggest that take your time to apply these. I also put a clear topcoat over them, and I am going on one week with just some tiny chips on a couple nails. These are a fantastic product because I feel they protect your nails, and there is NO drying time. I would definitely keep practicing putting these on. I think the designs are fun, and way cheaper than paying for a manicure.

on 1/21/2012 9:21:00 AM

I had been lusting after these ever since they came out, and finally got three different sets in two wonderful swaps.
The patterns are great! But other than that . . .
They were still too narrow for my enormous nails. I have gotten used to that and have become very handy at adding little off-cuts at the sides. So, again, I am now sporting a patchwork on my hands. The lace pattern that I used was very forgiving, but when it comes to the butterflies and my lemming cobwebs, they will be much harder to match up.
It was a pain to get full coverage for all ten nails out of one packet - why on earth are there 8 pieces in one packet??? It just doesn't make sense. I can appreciate you get a strip or two extra, but six? However, I did manage to use only one of the two packets.
But here's the real problem: Somehow they don't stick properly at the bottom - I ended up with these really noticable, thick ridges at the base of my nails, near my cuticles. I have pushed the stickers down, my cuticles back, you name it, but they aren't smooth at all and now it feels like I have mutant hangnails. My hair gets caught in them, they snag my clothes, pantyhose, everything. And yes, I did use topcoat! The tips are fine, but this totally drives me nuts and they are going to come off today, within 24 hours. SUCH a shame.
I have pretty much tried everything on the market now: Sephora, Incoco, Inque, Essence. All drove me crazy.
I will use up the Sally Hansens, to honor the lovely swaps and because the patterns are so pretty, but after that I will go back to the ones I like best by far: the simple thin water decals that you can order online. They are cute, they are cheap (if you find the right seller), and if your stash is big enough you will probably have a matching color to put underneath.
And then there's stamping, of course. With some brands making big full nail patterns at last, I guess I'll stick to that!

on 1/15/2012 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Putting these on took 90 minutes, the same amount of time I'd spend on a regular manicure, but more annoying and less relaxing. The end effect is ok, not great. And the amount of non-recyclable packaging that was left at the end was a travesty. With coupons, I was able to get the price down from $9.99 to $.50, but it wasn't even worth that!

on 8/1/2011 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

BIG FAN! These polish strips are amazingly long lasting (2wks+), easy to apply (in a moving car) and easy on your wallet. The visual 'effect' is eye catching with beautiful colors and fun designs you find yourself wishing for more of them! The only thing I would be careful of is using them on a very hot day (90F+): put the box in the fridge for a while before application.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I finally tried these too & love them!! I got the #220 Cut It Out (b&w flowers). So easy to apply & I can't wait to try more designs, lol

I was worried about them coming off with doing dishes, showering & swimming but they have held up great so far!! :)

on 6/20/2011 5:35:00 PM

This product is amazing. I have always struggled with keeping nail polish from chipping. Nothing seemed to work. I went for many years without nail polish because chipped nails seemed worse than no polish. Unfortunately my nails would break because they weren't protected.

On a whim , I tried Raise A Glass.( alas, the ONLY color that is professional/job acceptable) O.M.G. I started getting compliments galore
This lasts 10 days or longer! And it has been protecting my nails so they don't break like they used to.

There is a bit of a learning curve to get the best application, but worth it.
I use a polish remover I got at Whole Foods. (No acetone).

The only reason I didn't give it a 5 rating is that I'm limited to this one neutral
color. Please, Sally Hansen bring out more neutral colors. This is my first review to M.A. (I'm noticing that there is a picture attached to my review that is NOT Raise a Glass,color I use??)

Popular Polishes