Sally Hansen salon effects

Filtered by age: 36-43
Sally Hansen salon effects

3.4

These have become my absolute favorite "nail polish", they are all I've been wearing for the past 2 months or so.
My favorite is Bling it On, a very shimmery pink that sparkles in certain lights at night, but looks pretty natural and not overdone.
They are very easy to put on, you just pick the strips that you think best fit your nails, peel and apply. I wear my nails short-ish, so I can easily use one strip for the matching fingers on both hands. One word of caution: they do dry up, so you can't keep an open package too long because you won't be able to use the strips. I'm sure this can be fixed by taping the little packet with the remaining strips shut, but I'm too lazy to do this - my fault.

I can't successfully wear nail polish because the bad texture of my own nails shows through, you can see the ridges and discoloration (thank you Shellac!), so these strips are a godsend, because they hide the texture very well.

They last a really long time, my last install lasted me almost 2 weeks! I only had to remove them because of the growth at the base of the nail, otherwise they still looked pretty good. They do rub off a bit at the tips, but especially with this color, it's unnoticeable.

The price is high, the cheapest I've found is Walmart - almost $9 - but I heard some people find them at the Dollar store...I did find them there once at $2, but the design was ugly as they were made for Halloween lol.

I also have the Lace ? (I forgot the name) ones, they are cute too, but the strip of polish is thicker than Bling it on, and more fragile, it doesn't last more than 5 days on me.

I will try other designs too, because I truly like these.
I will keep buying these, I absolutely love them.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Love these, super easy to apply, long lasting. I have one complaint: once the pack is opened, the strips dry out and can't be used later on. I like using the patterns on only a few nails and doing a solid coordinating colour on the other nails. I'm bummed out that the leftover strips can't be saved.

on 6/16/2014 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

EDIT: So I've tried several of these and sadly, have had mixed results. I've had excellent results with the Coral Group and Orange You Glad patterns. The Kitty Kitty was easy to put on and the prettiest at first, but didn't last well at all. It had cracks in the polish and chipped after 3-4 days of not particularly hard use. The Merry Go Round didn't go on well at all - it tore easily and had printer lines through it.

So it's a mixed bag. The ones that have worked well work VERY well and I would give 5 lippies. The other ones… only 3.

*********************************

I have been dubious about this product since it came out. I recently saw some limited edition sets for a little over $5 and decided to give them a try. Now I'm kicking myself for not trying these sooner. I first tried the Coral Group pattern. They were very easy to apply - about 30 minutes and no dry time. Given that I have short nails, I think I can get 2 manicures out of a pack.

I will say that you have to properly prep your nail by making sure all of the oil is removed from the nail. Whatever method you use (rubbing alcohol, dawn dish soap, OPI Chip Skip…) I also buffed my nails to get rid of any ridges.

I am very hard on my nails. When I take my time and do a proper manicure, they last 2 days, at best. I have now had these on for six days with no chipping, lifting or peeling. I have little kids and am constantly washing my hands. In the past six days, I have been camping, horseback riding and opening things with my nails.

I used to have acrylic nails and shellac done, but didn't like the damage or expense with those options. Not sure how to rate the price… it's more expensive than an application of nail polish, but much cheaper than a manicure, and lasts longer. Given the length of time they last, I think the price is quite reasonable.

I do wish they had some solid options… a red, navy, purple, grey, gold.

on 5/11/2014 2:58:00 AM

I love these for when I am pressed for time - I always keep a box around. It comes with everything you need to apply, and I can do it in about 10 minutes. I've even done it immediately before taking a shower. My favorite are the variety of french manicures. I would like to see more subdued colors and patterns. They go on flawless for me and last at least a week - the trick is to get the perfect size for each nail (and slightly thinner than your nail bed is much better than slightly wider), hold them in the middle and smooth them on quickly, using the orange stick to smooth any bubbles, and to press them down hard over your nail tip and then file only in a downward motion to remove the excess. Brilliant invention.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I love these. I use them on my toenails and they last until they grow out. My toes are small and I keep the nails pretty short, so I can often use the same strip for, say, both big toes, both little toes...you get the picture. The easiest way to get them down to the right length is to apply the polish-sticker to your toe and then use nail scissors to cut right around the end of your toenail, and just file the little bit that's left. Also, I just a glass file and not the paper one that comes with the kit.

on 3/27/2013 1:47:00 AM

Salon Effects " last up to 10 days" is false advertisement. I followed the directions accordingly to ensure the strips lasted as long as they claim on the package. It took me about an hour to apply the strips. Within the hour, I had dinner, washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen, all of the strips have chipped/peeled off. It is possible that they can last up to 10 days if one does not do anything with their hands which is not realistic. I would not buy this product again.

on 3/4/2013 8:28:00 PM

This stuff is crap. It is cleaner and less time consuming to use polish. Ugh. So many tiny pieces of sticker and foil everywhere, and no size or shape worked with my small hands. I tried the French manicure style, so maybe the multi-part process was even more difficult to apply than solid colors. Will NEVER repurchase.

on 9/25/2012 12:10:00 AM

Love these strips!!
Piggy-backing on what others have said:
1) there is a learning curve. Follow the directions EXACTLY the first time to get a feel for them. THEN, put a topcoat on.
2) after you've got the hang of it, you can open 1 pack of the strips -8 in a pack- and cut some in half and get a full hand out of 1 pack. So, TWO manicures per box. Make sure you put the second pack in a Ziploc.
3) after you've got it down, a base coat is a must. Orly Bonder for me, but there's no room for error when you start placing a strip with Bonder. Bonder makes them STAY.

I love the fun designs. Especially the one that looks like denim. Really fun but not wild. I buy them at Five Below for $3 a box, so $1.50 per mani is a steal.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have really mixed feelings on these. I bought them with the intention of using them just on my toes, because I thought they wouldn't last long on my fingers. I ended up putting them on both my fingers and toes because I had so many strips !(and I STILL have half the package left over, still sealed) I was very pleasantly surprised by how long these lasted on me. I usually only get 2 or 3 days max out of a manicure, because my job is really hard on my hands. I wore these for a full week, with only minor tip wear. I was amazed! I think they would have lasted longer, but I needed a change. ;) I did put one coat of Poshe on the first day, and used the regular OPI top coat on day 2. This kept them perfect! I didn't really find them difficult to apply, but they were time consuming. I think with practice it would get faster. The part I really hate about these strips is the removal. I bought the pink strips with the black stripes. (I forgot the name) When I removed them with acetone, the pink part came off easily, but the black part was HORRIBLE to get off. I tried both scrubbing with acetone and the foil method. The black disintegrates on the nails, but sticks all over your hands in tiny pieces that are almost impossible to get off. I used a scrub and a nail brush on my hands twice, after 2 rounds of polish remover and there are still black specks on my hands! Yuck, a real pain. I probably would try these again for a special occasion or something, but not for routine use, and I'd be careful to pick a pattern without a lot of black. ;)

on 7/20/2012 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

My 13 year old daughter got these as a gift from her aunt. I told her that she might be pretty dissapointed in them bc they didnt get such glowing reviews....BUT they look great and have stayed on for well over a week - maybe two! She swims and showers often so I am pretty impressed. They look adorable and pretty cool. She has been wearing some kind of geometric pattern/shade that I dont know the name of but they are a fun easy way to spruce up a manicure, I think they are a little pricey for the amount you get but since it is staying on so long it might be worth it.

Popular Polishes