Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel

3.9

I don't understand the bad reviews?! This is not for oily skin, however. I generally like cream to powder foundations; I like the ease of use & medium coverage. This has high spf too. Win

I love this because it provides medium coverage that I need in the summer and a bit of moisture for my combination skin. It does transfer, but I found that it has staying power as long as you don't touch your face. (I also use Lancome's Teint Indole on days when my skin is super oily.)

Pros: good for combination skin, better sun protection, no fragrance, sheer to medium coverage
Con's: don't like the packaging (ugly), small amount of product for price, color range is limited

Application:
I apply toner to my face (Algenist), and sunblock (Replenix Sheer Physical Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50 Plus) and let it dry. (I also reviewed Replenix.) Then I apply a minimal amount of the foundation with my fingers, gently spreading it out on my face. I apply a bit more in some areas that aren't prone to creasing. You can smooth it into your pores with a bit of moisture, which other reviewers pointed out. This was a game changer for me! I mist my face with toner and gently smooth out the coverage with my fingers. Doing this will sheer out the coverage a bit. Sometimes I use a finishing power (nyx HD) I am about nc25/30 and wear Nude (which is a bit more warm) Buff matches my skin tone. Ulta has the entire color line while some drug stores only carry a few colors in store.

About my skin:
My skin is combination: oily (to very oily) skin that tends to have a dry surface. I have small areas of larger pores. My skin is generally break out free. I use foundation to cover minor uneven skin tone and make my complexion more warm toned.

Update october 2017: Milani updates their shades for pale gals. I have 00B for pale gals with yellow undertones....natural non cakey coverage that can be as full as you want....doesnt enhance pores....BEST FOUNDATION ON THE PLANET AND THEY LISTENED THEIR CUSTOMERS!!

EDIT JUNE 26,2016:I still really like this. I have found that it can settle in my pores BUT if I put it on with my fingers and then run my fingers under the water and get them damp and then blend in, it covers like a dream and no settling into pores!!! WONDERFUL!

Best cream foundation I have tried. (and embarrassingly, I've wasted lots of money trying them ALL) Not sure if it's really a cream to powder but maybe...it seems to set to a very semi matte finish but with a healthy glow!!!! NOT GREASY.I was worried it would get greasy but it really has a nice wear time and doesnt turn orange and oily. I havent found it to settle into my pores and pool around my pores on my nose but I blend very well when applying. I have tried every cream to powder foundation out there and they all look so cakey and dry. NOT THIS ONE. I have no idea why people don't give it better reviews. It's fabulous. You have to apply it in very think layers and really blend it in. I find my fingers do the best with a cream foundation so I can get into the hard places. I know....i shouldn't use my fingers but if you use a brush I think this will be streaky. I'm nc 15 and use Classic Ivory. its a really good match but I do use the pressed healthy skin sheer powder by neutrogena on top in Nude for just a touch of color since it's summer and I love that powder! Neither broke me out. I HAVE THE MOST SENSITIVE SKIN ON EARTH AND this does not break me out which is such a needed element in a foundation. I tried the long lastiing foundation of Neutrogena's but it's lasting power wasnt as good as this (if you powder on top) ! Plus the long lasting foundation definitely had a cakey look and really enhanced my pores. With this foundation, At the end of the day, I still look pretty good and fresh and I dont blot! I was going to try Neutrogena's healthy skin liquid foundation becuase it seems to have slightly better reviews but per "Paula" it has a certain ingredient that can cause flare ups and I'm not gonna take the chance with my sensitive skin.....so I tried this and I love it!!! The coverage is medium to almost full if you layer. You do have to blend it really well and let it set a little before you put your powder on or the powder will cake it up. It does set quite quickly and not dry looking. Just like healthy skin! I"M IMPRESSED and love the coverage, the finish and the wear! Will definitely re purchase. Think I may have found my holy grail gals! Im combo skin with oily t zone. This doesnt slide off your face. I don't feel "Gloppy" at the end of the day. Feels like nothing on your skin. not tight like some foundations and doesnt feel like I have an oil slick on my face. I do moisturize quite well under neath which I thought would cause a mess later in the day, but it didnt. I WOULD ignore the bad reviews and try this. Just be sure to let it set and powder on top.

I love this hidden gem. It applies smoothly and flawlessly Thanks to the H/plex. I have great skin and this only enhances it even more. The H/plex fills in any wrinkles and softens fine lines, I really love this addition to the Foundation. I do not use a powder with this as it provides a demi-glow to my skin. I use Hula bronzer and Chanel Glossimer in Unity. Looks beautiful and I am happy with this foundation. Rite Aid $10.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm not sure why this product has bad reviews. I do have dry skin so maybe that's it. However, this product made me look and feel like a supermodel! Never have I had a foundation that made my skin so flawless. Great packaging with a mirror, sponge applicator, and foundation. To die for. Must have.

I only use this when I'm too lazy to do my normal routine. I use a FLAT BRUSH. Ladies, if you know makeup, you know that sometimes the applicator that comes with the product, mostly sucks. Use a flat top brush with this and it will be much better. Anyway, this is pretty bad for my t zone. It gets oily. But I use De Slick for that. I moisturize and use a primer under this, it's good for lazy days. But not for every day. It smells like sunblock though. It's also easily removed, which isn't always a good thing. So don't be making out with this stuff on.

Grainy texture and greasy--not worth the money at all. I love cream foundations for the ease of use, but this one is not worth the $12 price tag. Will not buy again!

I'm going to write about my skin first. Then I'll write about the product. I've also gone through this review several times to attempt to keep it short (yes this is the shorter version). My skin is a pale olive (aka yellow undertone NC15 in summer; about two shades lighter than NC15 in winter). It is combination. My chin & above my lips are dry and get flaky sometimes. Meanwhile my forehead, cheeks, and nose get really oily (fyi foundation slides off my nose). The rest is normal. My flaws include the occasional pimples (2-3), under eye circles, orange-rind pores on my cheeks with some redness, redness around the corner of my lips & around nose, and I have 3 veins to the right of my lips. That's what I need to cover up (sounds like a lot, but I know people who have a lot more; I need about medium coverage).
This is okay for coverage. I'd say more like a light to light-medium. I can feel this on my skin (slightly heavier than a TM or BB cream-which I normally wear). It does not cover my flaws. I still see everything I mentioned above. Redness has to be covered by concealer, under eye circles covered by concealer..etc. My large pores aren't covered but this didn't make them more obvious.I usually hate cream foundations but this one isn't bad. The usual cream foundation settles into fine lines, cakes, shows off my dry areas, and makes me look about 35-40yrs old (I'm only 25). So with that being said this doesn't do that. Yes it kinda settles into fine lines yet it doesn't make them look obvious (kinda contradicting I know). It does cling to dry areas so moisturize before hand (doesn't make them more obvious though but I can tell; I'm sure if you looked at me you'd have no idea). As for lasting power and oil control, I do not know. I haven't worn this to work to give it a full test. Honestly I personally do not like this enough to wear it every day. As a cream foundation it is one of the best I've found though. Personally I like more coverage to my foundations and for it to not cling to my dry areas (the BB cream I use doesn't do this). So I'll be returning this to the store. I did leave a "yes" for re-buying and a 3 for the Overall Rating because I could see someone loving this.

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I love this foudation and could not believe all the terible reviews it got on Amazon. This is a cream foundatin (not cream to powder) in it's classic form. It's meant to be sponged on or one guesses you can brush it on though I would recommend you ONLY sponge it on. I think peoples bad reaction to this product is they use too much poduct (swipe their sponge/brush across the makeup too hard and too many times.) The less you use of this the better. The secret is you only swipe the sponge 1-2 times which is enough to do half your face. 2 swipes of the sponge may be enough product for your entire face (depending on how much pressure you use taking the product up on your sponge.) The less pressure, the better. You should first apply the sponge to the upper-center of your cheek and move back towards the ear and then come back to center (where you started and proceed moving toward your nose (one side) and chin (one side.) Repeat the process for the other side of your face. What is left over may be enough for you to then use it on your forehead. IF YOU INITIALLY TAKE TOO MUCH OF THIS ON YOUR SPONGE YOU WILL HAVE A MESS. It will look cakey, old fasioned overmade up and accent every little fine, dry line nevermind the deeper ones. You may or may not have to powder this dowm (I don't, just the nose.) I think it looks great has great coverage w/out being too makeupy looking. It wears real well, almost 'till it's time to come off. They might be discontinuing it as I purchased it for 8 bucks in Target. This may have been specified as a makeup to use after a cosmetic procedure as it has an SPF of 55!!! The SPF is "Helioplex" which is Neutrogena's (and anyone elses for that matter except La Roche-Posay "Anthelios") BEST. It's a great sunsreen as it filters the "A" rays as well as it filters the "B" rays. Most sunsreens claim to be broadspectrum (Blocking A&B rays), but their defense of the A rays doesn't hold up to how well they fight the B rays. The A rays are the most damaging in the long run as their wavelenghth allows them to penetrate deeper into the more underlying layers of the skin. This is the kind of damage which doesn't show right away. It may take years to decades to show it's most damage...anyway I know of no other makeup with this high an SPF using "Helioplex." The compact is made well and durable. It easily slides into the smallest space so it's great for portability. Because of its formulation it's a great makeup to take with you and use on the fly. Though I think it holds up so well there may not be need for touch-ups. What more can one ask of their foundation at this price??????

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I agree with the comments of the joey_s below.This is a suprisingly good little compact! Additionally, this is and ideal find for those with normal/dry skin. I am not sure how it will do with oilies. It did go on very "wet" and gave a nice healthy glow. The coverage is sheer to medium and buildable if you need more. I used my Sephora airbrush (#55?) and dabbed it into the compact and lightly buffed it in to my skin for a flawless look. It feels great on my dry, winter skin and the color (Classic Ivory 10) is perfect for my NC15/20 tone. I just wish they had more options for gals with deeper skintone. Only downside, I did see that it sank into my pores a little bit and had a slight "plasticy" smell...will update later if my skin reacts negatively.