Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

Filtered by hair type : Wavy

2.2

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm not sure why this product has bad reviews. I do have dry skin so maybe that's it. However, this product made me look and feel like a supermodel! Never have I had a foundation that made my skin so flawless. Great packaging with a mirror, sponge applicator, and foundation. To die for. Must have.

Really like this, especially for the under $10 price! The color Classic Ivory is just right for me. Usually I buy the palest shade of any foundation. Not seeing it first in person was a little troubling, but I went ahead, since it was so cheap!

I like the compact it comes in. It's just a little hard to open sometimes. But inside, it's nice -- there's a mirror! and an applicator sponge in its own little bumpy compartment. I've not tried the sponge, since I've always fingerpainted my foundation. But I may give it a whirl.

I bought this b/c I was going on vacation and needed a Carribean-strength spf.I was pleasantly surprised to find something with SPF55, in a great color for me, as a compact (so no spillage as I carry it in my beach bag). The reviews said you can build up the coverage, and it's true! I already got compliments on my skin during my pre-vacation trial run of the product.

I applied it over the Neutrogena healthy skin primer spf 15. Might be spf over kill for some, but I'm very light. And I know applying enough spf is the key to not getting burnt.

I've pretty much bought highend cosmetics over the years, since they seemed to perform better than the DS variety. But I think the DS stuff is catching up quickly. You just have to choose carefully.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've been using Neutrogena Healthy Skin liquid makeup for over a year now, and once I got the color right (all the lighter shades I've tried seem to go on even lighter than they look in the bottle) it has worked really well. And I love the SPF!

When I went to purchase another bottle, there was a buy-one-get-one offer, so on a whim I picked up this compact makeup in the same shade I use in the liquid. I was not disappointed. The shade was just as true to my skin tone as the liquid was in the same shade.

It isn't as moisturizing as the liquid, obviously, but it was not at all cakey nor too heavy, and the SPF factor is higher. This compact foundation is easy to apply, and the included sponge does a good job. It definitely evens out my skin tone and leaves a nice semi-matte finish, not as dewy as the liquid version. So far, it has not caked, or settled into fine lines, or streaked as my face gets more oily towards the end of the day. Your mileage may vary depending on your skin type.

I think the previous reviewer really made some excellent points. Good packaging (although it is a bit tricky) that will NOT come open unexpectedly in your makeup bag or purse. It works well for touchups, doesn't moisturize but doesn't accentuate my dry spots, as long as I have properly exfoliated and moisturized prior to applying this foundation. Love the SPF 55, but I wouldn't rely on that alone, and I always use an SPF moisturizer or base before applying makeup. With the liquid version of this foundation, I always need a powder to set it, but with the compact version, I can see skipping the powder. The application is a bit drier than the liquid form, which makes sense. This particular compact foundation doesn't leave glistening streaks of silicone as I smooth it on, which is a relief, since a lot of compact makeups just seem to either dry me out or soak me in silicone.

I can totally see taking this with me when I go out or travel because it is quick and easy and gives good results without being too heavy or cakey or greasy, and it is totally portable and self contained. I would purchase this again, but still won't give up the same product in liquid form. Both are very good products that I enjoy using. Another win for Neutrogena!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think some of the negative reviews come from expecting this product to be what it is not. Yes, it is makeup but if you look at the back, it says, "Purpose: Sunscreen." So I'd say, first and foremost, it is a sunscreen....that looks and behaves like a foundation. I started using Retin-A and was looking for a compact style foundation that would be a little bit of extra insurance in the SPF department. My first impression: Semi-pricy @ $12 a pop at Target. Second impression: Solid packaging (though you need to figure out how it opens. It has an odd latch.) The sponge is kept separate from the makeup and the foundation you see through the compact is actually the bottom of the product, I guess to keep it looking pretty. As for the product itself:

1.) It smells like sunscreen (Not surprising)

2.) It goes on smoothly

3.) I would describe the coverage as "sheer-medium" and "natural." It covers but DOES NOT build. I have very red cheeks along with freckles and dark spots, and this product gave me a natural glow. Redness was very toned down and freckles and dark spots were evened out to the point of being unnoticeable. I hate the look of sheer foundation which has a tendency to look fake because it only half-covers things like broken blood vessels and freckles which makes it looks like you are totally wearing crappy foundation. I didn't have that effect with this product but like I said, it does not build so it is best to apply a thin, even layer.

4.) I noticed that it can (I'm not saying it will) settle into fine lines. Occasionally I've had to smooth out a little settling in a line or 2 but it isn't horrible. But, on a related note, I've noticed it disappearing in "high traffic" areas like my nose or corner of my mouth by the afternoon but the good thing about the product is that it touches up well. 1 or 2 light pats and the problem is totally fixed.

5.) This is essentially a sunscreen so don't expect it to absorb oil. I've had to touch up with oil blotters and a little powder around my nose every once in a while. No biggie.

6.) Unless you like the Just-Applied-Sunscreen look, you'll have to set it with powder. I used Clinique Transparent Powder which has worked really well with it.

7.) The makeup goes on lighter than what it looks like in the compact. Be forewarned.

8.) I can see how this product would NOT look good on someone with serious problem skin. On a day I neglected to exfoliate (Retin-A issues) I noticed that it "highlighted" some dry skin on my nose. It was only noticeable in a magnified mirror up-close, but still, proper exfoliation and hydration might be necessary.

My overall impression is that this is a good product. It makes my skin feel good, it goes on smoothly, and gives a naturally even look. I would give it a 5 only if it was a total miracle-worker and performed better in the longevity and oil absorbing department. But for what it is, I'm happy with it. I will totally buy this again

I've been using the Healthy Skin liquid makeup since November, and it's been working splendidly for me. However, liquid foundation can be quite a hassle when it comes to touch ups throughout the day, so I was very pleased when Neutrogena released this compact formula. The packaging seems very hygenic (the sponge and makeup are kept in seperate compartments, with tiny holes for ventilation on the sponge's side, with a large mirror between them) and makes for effortless touch ups. This formula boasts a truly impressive SPF (55! Full spectrum!) but doesn't seem sunscreen-y at all; in fact, the coverage feels very light and airy, even though it masks blotches perfectly. So far (I've been using it for approximately 2 weeks) I haven't had a trace of a breakout, in spite of some seemingly comodegenic ingredients (Beeswax is one of the first listed. Odd!). As long as my tempermental skin behaves, I'll trust this makeup's formula! My one complaint lies with the included sponge: It isn't very pliable (It reminds me of those tough, dry sponges used for rubbing deodorant marks off of dark clothes), feels a bit rough on the skin, and doesn't blend very well. For touch ups it suffices, but if I was doing my whole face with this makeup, I would definitely use a quality application sponge.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I agree with the comments of the joey_s below.This is a suprisingly good little compact! Additionally, this is and ideal find for those with normal/dry skin. I am not sure how it will do with oilies. It did go on very "wet" and gave a nice healthy glow. The coverage is sheer to medium and buildable if you need more. I used my Sephora airbrush (#55?) and dabbed it into the compact and lightly buffed it in to my skin for a flawless look. It feels great on my dry, winter skin and the color (Classic Ivory 10) is perfect for my NC15/20 tone. I just wish they had more options for gals with deeper skintone. Only downside, I did see that it sank into my pores a little bit and had a slight "plasticy" smell...will update later if my skin reacts negatively.

I'm going to write about my skin first. Then I'll write about the product. I've also gone through this review several times to attempt to keep it short (yes this is the shorter version). My skin is a pale olive (aka yellow undertone NC15 in summer; about two shades lighter than NC15 in winter). It is combination. My chin & above my lips are dry and get flaky sometimes. Meanwhile my forehead, cheeks, and nose get really oily (fyi foundation slides off my nose). The rest is normal. My flaws include the occasional pimples (2-3), under eye circles, orange-rind pores on my cheeks with some redness, redness around the corner of my lips & around nose, and I have 3 veins to the right of my lips. That's what I need to cover up (sounds like a lot, but I know people who have a lot more; I need about medium coverage).
This is okay for coverage. I'd say more like a light to light-medium. I can feel this on my skin (slightly heavier than a TM or BB cream-which I normally wear). It does not cover my flaws. I still see everything I mentioned above. Redness has to be covered by concealer, under eye circles covered by concealer..etc. My large pores aren't covered but this didn't make them more obvious.I usually hate cream foundations but this one isn't bad. The usual cream foundation settles into fine lines, cakes, shows off my dry areas, and makes me look about 35-40yrs old (I'm only 25). So with that being said this doesn't do that. Yes it kinda settles into fine lines yet it doesn't make them look obvious (kinda contradicting I know). It does cling to dry areas so moisturize before hand (doesn't make them more obvious though but I can tell; I'm sure if you looked at me you'd have no idea). As for lasting power and oil control, I do not know. I haven't worn this to work to give it a full test. Honestly I personally do not like this enough to wear it every day. As a cream foundation it is one of the best I've found though. Personally I like more coverage to my foundations and for it to not cling to my dry areas (the BB cream I use doesn't do this). So I'll be returning this to the store. I did leave a "yes" for re-buying and a 3 for the Overall Rating because I could see someone loving this.

I got this on a whim hoping to find a slightly more moisturizing product than my powder. This wasn't it. I have pretty normal skin with some oily tendencies. This actually gave me dry spots, which I've never seen before. It seems to me more like a sheer creme SPF with a little bit of tint rather than a good coverage foundation.

My skin feels very smooth and clean with it on as it absorbs really fast into my skin and it smooths a little bit of coloration on my cheeks. But within an hour it almost looks like its not there anymore. I've never had a foundation fade that fast off my face!

I really wanted to like this. But I think this is more made for a more oily skin since it did give me dry spots on my face. If you need a product with more SPF rather than a coverage this would prolly be ok short term. (going to the beach, outside activities etc) The compact was a good idea just the formulation was a fail to me. I liked the liquid healthy skin but it was just too messy for me. This doesn't give any kind of dewy effect that the liquid does, its more a natural matte. Hopefully they will improve on this product in the future.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I am very fair and the lightest color was too dark. The product is also very greasy. I liked the idea of SPF 55 but didn't work for me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I decided to experiment and instead of continuing with the usual Healthy Skin Enhancer I always get, I wanted to try out the Compact Makeup's new texture, more opaque coverage, and higher SPF.

Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised with the tone of Nude 40, I had just put on a tan after moving back to Florida and was worried about darker foundations having a pink undertone, but Nude 40 has just the right amount of yellow for my olive skin. Secondly, the opacity and longevity of the color was also spot on, considering I was aiming for this to be an apply once-in-the-morning-then-go type of thing. As for the SPF? It's hard to make an immediate opinion on this since you'd probably need a UV camera to properly assess whether you've gotten more sun damage or not but I'll give the benefit of the doubt about the SPF 55 working better than the SPF 20 Healthy Skin Enhancer. It doesn't really matter unless you're outside for more than 20min at a time I believe, so if you're just flitting between work, car, restaurant, etc it's not a big deal.

So why the low rating? Ugh, just the texture and the way it reacts with my skin. I was already skeptical about the paste medium and how it would do on my oily skin, but I willingly went into this. I have pore issues on my nose and cheek area under my eyes, and let me tell you as it went on, it seemed satiny and smooth. However after about half an hour every little pore seemed to have a minuscule, skin colored "flake" from the foundation. Really hid the pores in the same way holding a tree branch in front of you works as camouflage. I also got really shiny -not- in the angelically dewy way, but Florida humidity is a little difficult to beat, and I'm too lazy to worry about touch ups or blotting paper so I'll let that slide. I've also developed a couple hard black heads/break outs from this switch and I know Neutrogena likes to be comedogenic so that's been confusing (mind you, I use an exfoliating scrub every morning and night).

Considering everything, I'd recommend this to someone with perfectly moisture balanced, marble-smooth skin. So if you know how to get your skin to that level and just need the color coverage and sun protection, buy it! I'm weary about recommending this for older skin because of the way it "flakes" out of the pores, it might flake in wrinkles and end up exaggerating them.

Popular Crème Foundations