Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

Filtered by hair type : Other

2.6

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

PLEASE READ FOR YOUR SAFETY: This product contains oxybenzone which is a PHOTOCARCINOGEN. This means that when it is exposed to sunlight it become more toxic. Be aware of this- it is one of the main active ingredients!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I want to like this, and the finish is nice, but it makes my skin feel like it burns. Will be returning it. :(

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

this makeup gives almost NO coverage. i honestly had to do a double take when i was putting this on because it did almost nothing to my skin, except make it slightly more orange. if you take a light coverage foundation, and subtract 80% of the coverage you get from a light coverage product, you get this. streaky, all up in my pore's business, and may have made parts of my face burn for a bit. it kind of works as a primer for my revlon new complexion makeup and stops it from creasing/ whatnot, but then i feel ridiculous for using two foundations that are both too warm for my skintone. it also works slightly better with laura mercier primer, but i feel ridiculous again wasting that on such a crappy foundation. bbcreams have made me spoiled, i think, because all the drugstore foundations i try are now woefully inadequate.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I am surprised at all of the bad reviews of this product! I have very oily skin and I apply this SPARINGLY, as it is NOT buildable. I finish with a dust of Neutrogena shine control powder and I get a beautiful, smooth, natural finish that looks like I'm not even wearing any makeup. If you use too much, it will be a streaky mess. I just dab the sponge on the makeup creme and swipe once over my face and I'm done. I have to agree that the set-up of the compact makes no sense. It's like upside down. Other than that, I think it's a great product, but not really a "foundation." Also, the actual color is much lighter than it looks in the compact. I am NC25-30 and Nude-40 is perfect for me. UPDATE: I've decided this is too greasy for someone with oily skin like me. It just didn't last long enough and I was shiny less than an hour after applying it. I gave it to my Mom who has dry skin and it looks great on her and lasts all day..

Bought the lightest color and ended up looking not just slightly darker, but completely orange. So disappointed. Would not recommend, unless you like the oompa loompa look.

I really wanted to love this but I cannot wait to take it back to CVS. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer tinted moisturizer (in the pump bottle) is my HG drugstore tinted moisturizer, so I had high hopes for this makeup. The fact that it has Helioplex and UVA /UVB protection was a major attraction.

First, the packaging. The plastic tape they use to seal it could be used by NASA, in my opinion. And maybe I'm a bonehead but the compact doesn't open like most--you have to flick it open, if that makes sense.

Next, the makeup. I got the lightest shade (I'm NW20 for reference) and it was way too light. Very ghostlike. That is probably my fault for misjudging, but to me the product goes on a lot lighter than it looks in the pan. The reason I'm giving this a rating of WORST is that it just sat on top of my skin, except for where it filled in my pores so I looked like I had white cream plugging them. It emphasized any dryness or flakes I had on my face too. Pretty much just strobed any flaws I have in the surface of my skin. Terrible stuff, alas. The $15 price tag is outrageous--I got it on sale at CVS and had a coupon and it was still $7, which is $7 too much in my opinion. I would not be surprised if they discontinue this eventually.

This has pretty much everything I want in a foundation-decent coverage, natural finish, doesn't break me out, and high, broad-spectrum, stable SPF. The only downside is that is can look slightly streaky when applied with the applicator, but when I apply with my fingers it's perfect. Will buy again.

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

Concept: Love the SPF 55 factor, and the fact that it offers both 3%avobenzone as well as Helioplex. Most makeup touting an SPF contains both lame sunscreen ingredients as well as lame percentages *of* those lame sunscreen ingredients.

Test 1 of SPF makeup: Both the ingredients and their percentages must be high enough to make an impact if you are depending on only a makeup product to protect you from the sun's harmful rays.
Test 2: The makeup must offer an SPF that's high enough to begin with.

Well, even though the active ingredients & high SPF of the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact SPF 55 passes Tests 1 & 2, here's the rub before one gets a false sense of security with makeup containing SPF. You need to consider first how much actual old-fashioned lotion/cream-based bottled sunscreen one must apply to yield the full benefits & SPF stated on the bottle: i.e., a quarter-teaspoon to the face alone. Some derms insist on more than this, but a quarter-teaspoon is a ton & will have to suffice for me. So, be honest here. If you're riding on the SPF in your face makeup & skipping sunscreen as a pre-step: are you really applying this much foundation or powder to your face alone to yield all its sun-protecting benefits?

Moral: don't depend on the SPF in your makeup. At most, this is something I would use if I were staying inside the house all day.

(P.S. on SPF application: another quarter-teaspoon to the neck, & a full shotglass on the body from the clavicle down is required for sufficient protection.)

Colorwise: The lightest shade of this compact almost worked for me, and was a trifle pink. NC15/NW15 are both almost always too dark for me, & L'Oreal True Match in W1 is a perfect match even though I dislike its shiny texture/finish. So that should offer a sense of my coloring.

Finish: I returned this product because it isn't something I can use if Retin-A & glycolic acid are apart of my skincare regime. Like physical-based sunscreens (which Avobenzone/Helioplex isn't!), this compact makeup with SPF just dried out & fries my face due to the Retin-A I use. So, of course the texture wasn't all that hot as a result. I will repurchase this summer when I take time off from the above actives & am just self-tanning to give this makeup a second chance. If the finish improves then, I will up the current 3-lippie rating.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I like the structure and ease of the compact, the fact that it has good UVA/UVB ingredients, and its natural finish. However, this does tend to exacerbate oilies midday and definitely sits in pores. Even though it is a sheer finish, it doesn't really absorb into skin well enough to sit well under loose powder. I noticed that it laid on skin midday and looked patchy especially in oily places and my pregnant winter skin is fairly dry right now. I could see the it in the pores, but that could also be that the colors are not neutral enough. So this won't be an option for the warmer months when the spf & powder will really be necessary. I am returning it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Genius, Neutrogena! I love this 2-in-1 product for everyday use -- saves me loads of time (and some $ too!). Stable SPF and foundation all in one, less greasy than 55 SPF alone, doesn't slip and slide all over your face, really lightweight. Edit 1/26/11 - Still loving this! I'm truly surprised and impressed with the coverage - doesn't sink into pores as I was expecting it to do, actually looks smooth and covers without looking heavy. I thought the best thing about this product was going to be the sun protection, but it actually is quite a nice performing daily foundation as well! I'm approx an NC 25 and I've been wearing the shade Nude (40). Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 2.8%, Homosalate 8%, Octisalate 4%, Octocrylene 9%, Oxybenzone 4%...Inactive Ingredients: Isononyl isononanoate, silica, beeswax, mica, c-12-15 alkyl benzoate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, styrene/acrylates copolymer, polyethylene, diethylhexyl 2,6-napthalate, vp/hexadecene copolymer, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymere, dimethicone, acrylates/dimethicone copolymer, phenoxyethanol, caprylyl glycol, bisabolol, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, polymethyl methacylate, triethoxycaprylylsilane, tocopheryl acetate, panthothenic acid, retinyl palimate, ascorbic acid. May contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides.

Popular Crème Foundations