Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

Filtered by skin type : Combination

2.6

I don't understand the bad reviews?! This is not for oily skin, however. I generally like cream to powder foundations; I like the ease of use & medium coverage. This has high spf too. Win

I love this hidden gem. It applies smoothly and flawlessly Thanks to the H/plex. I have great skin and this only enhances it even more. The H/plex fills in any wrinkles and softens fine lines, I really love this addition to the Foundation. I do not use a powder with this as it provides a demi-glow to my skin. I use Hula bronzer and Chanel Glossimer in Unity. Looks beautiful and I am happy with this foundation. Rite Aid $10.

I bought this last summer and was thinking that I need a new one since Spring is here and I'll be outdoors more. I go hiking and walking in the warmer weather and need a good sunscreen in my makeup, especially if I'm not wearing sunscreen underneath. I've been leaning towards cream makeup, though I love the convenience and feel of powder/mineral makeup. My skin is getting drier and this feels nice and moisturizing. I tried the natural ivory shade and it worked well for my fair, cool-toned skin. I haven't worn it in direct sun for hours so I don't know how it holds up with the 55 spf. I haven't noticed sun damage with casual use. My ex-husband saw me walking with this on and zoomed in close and said "You look good for an old lady". Gee, thanks I guess. I suppose that's a positive testimonial for the makeup.

I love this because it provides medium coverage that I need in the summer and a bit of moisture for my combination skin. It does transfer, but I found that it has staying power as long as you don't touch your face. (I also use Lancome's Teint Indole on days when my skin is super oily.)

Pros: good for combination skin, better sun protection, no fragrance, sheer to medium coverage
Con's: don't like the packaging (ugly), small amount of product for price, color range is limited

Application:
I apply toner to my face (Algenist), and sunblock (Replenix Sheer Physical Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50 Plus) and let it dry. (I also reviewed Replenix.) Then I apply a minimal amount of the foundation with my fingers, gently spreading it out on my face. I apply a bit more in some areas that aren't prone to creasing. You can smooth it into your pores with a bit of moisture, which other reviewers pointed out. This was a game changer for me! I mist my face with toner and gently smooth out the coverage with my fingers. Doing this will sheer out the coverage a bit. Sometimes I use a finishing power (nyx HD) I am about nc25/30 and wear Nude (which is a bit more warm) Buff matches my skin tone. Ulta has the entire color line while some drug stores only carry a few colors in store.

About my skin:
My skin is combination: oily (to very oily) skin that tends to have a dry surface. I have small areas of larger pores. My skin is generally break out free. I use foundation to cover minor uneven skin tone and make my complexion more warm toned.

Update october 2017: Milani updates their shades for pale gals. I have 00B for pale gals with yellow undertones....natural non cakey coverage that can be as full as you want....doesnt enhance pores....BEST FOUNDATION ON THE PLANET AND THEY LISTENED THEIR CUSTOMERS!!

EDIT JUNE 26,2016:I still really like this. I have found that it can settle in my pores BUT if I put it on with my fingers and then run my fingers under the water and get them damp and then blend in, it covers like a dream and no settling into pores!!! WONDERFUL!

Best cream foundation I have tried. (and embarrassingly, I've wasted lots of money trying them ALL) Not sure if it's really a cream to powder but maybe...it seems to set to a very semi matte finish but with a healthy glow!!!! NOT GREASY.I was worried it would get greasy but it really has a nice wear time and doesnt turn orange and oily. I havent found it to settle into my pores and pool around my pores on my nose but I blend very well when applying. I have tried every cream to powder foundation out there and they all look so cakey and dry. NOT THIS ONE. I have no idea why people don't give it better reviews. It's fabulous. You have to apply it in very think layers and really blend it in. I find my fingers do the best with a cream foundation so I can get into the hard places. I know....i shouldn't use my fingers but if you use a brush I think this will be streaky. I'm nc 15 and use Classic Ivory. its a really good match but I do use the pressed healthy skin sheer powder by neutrogena on top in Nude for just a touch of color since it's summer and I love that powder! Neither broke me out. I HAVE THE MOST SENSITIVE SKIN ON EARTH AND this does not break me out which is such a needed element in a foundation. I tried the long lastiing foundation of Neutrogena's but it's lasting power wasnt as good as this (if you powder on top) ! Plus the long lasting foundation definitely had a cakey look and really enhanced my pores. With this foundation, At the end of the day, I still look pretty good and fresh and I dont blot! I was going to try Neutrogena's healthy skin liquid foundation becuase it seems to have slightly better reviews but per "Paula" it has a certain ingredient that can cause flare ups and I'm not gonna take the chance with my sensitive skin.....so I tried this and I love it!!! The coverage is medium to almost full if you layer. You do have to blend it really well and let it set a little before you put your powder on or the powder will cake it up. It does set quite quickly and not dry looking. Just like healthy skin! I"M IMPRESSED and love the coverage, the finish and the wear! Will definitely re purchase. Think I may have found my holy grail gals! Im combo skin with oily t zone. This doesnt slide off your face. I don't feel "Gloppy" at the end of the day. Feels like nothing on your skin. not tight like some foundations and doesnt feel like I have an oil slick on my face. I do moisturize quite well under neath which I thought would cause a mess later in the day, but it didnt. I WOULD ignore the bad reviews and try this. Just be sure to let it set and powder on top.

I actually just got this product. Freaking love it. I have an oily T-zone and dry cheeks. It works out for my skin. I avoid applying on my forehead, but I sometimes do by accident. I haven't broken out yet:-) I recommend neutrogena for teenagers like myself:-)
I do think it's a bit overpriced however I love the packaging.

Really like this, especially for the under $10 price! The color Classic Ivory is just right for me. Usually I buy the palest shade of any foundation. Not seeing it first in person was a little troubling, but I went ahead, since it was so cheap!

I like the compact it comes in. It's just a little hard to open sometimes. But inside, it's nice -- there's a mirror! and an applicator sponge in its own little bumpy compartment. I've not tried the sponge, since I've always fingerpainted my foundation. But I may give it a whirl.

I bought this b/c I was going on vacation and needed a Carribean-strength spf.I was pleasantly surprised to find something with SPF55, in a great color for me, as a compact (so no spillage as I carry it in my beach bag). The reviews said you can build up the coverage, and it's true! I already got compliments on my skin during my pre-vacation trial run of the product.

I applied it over the Neutrogena healthy skin primer spf 15. Might be spf over kill for some, but I'm very light. And I know applying enough spf is the key to not getting burnt.

I've pretty much bought highend cosmetics over the years, since they seemed to perform better than the DS variety. But I think the DS stuff is catching up quickly. You just have to choose carefully.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think some of the negative reviews come from expecting this product to be what it is not. Yes, it is makeup but if you look at the back, it says, "Purpose: Sunscreen." So I'd say, first and foremost, it is a sunscreen....that looks and behaves like a foundation. I started using Retin-A and was looking for a compact style foundation that would be a little bit of extra insurance in the SPF department. My first impression: Semi-pricy @ $12 a pop at Target. Second impression: Solid packaging (though you need to figure out how it opens. It has an odd latch.) The sponge is kept separate from the makeup and the foundation you see through the compact is actually the bottom of the product, I guess to keep it looking pretty. As for the product itself:

1.) It smells like sunscreen (Not surprising)

2.) It goes on smoothly

3.) I would describe the coverage as "sheer-medium" and "natural." It covers but DOES NOT build. I have very red cheeks along with freckles and dark spots, and this product gave me a natural glow. Redness was very toned down and freckles and dark spots were evened out to the point of being unnoticeable. I hate the look of sheer foundation which has a tendency to look fake because it only half-covers things like broken blood vessels and freckles which makes it looks like you are totally wearing crappy foundation. I didn't have that effect with this product but like I said, it does not build so it is best to apply a thin, even layer.

4.) I noticed that it can (I'm not saying it will) settle into fine lines. Occasionally I've had to smooth out a little settling in a line or 2 but it isn't horrible. But, on a related note, I've noticed it disappearing in "high traffic" areas like my nose or corner of my mouth by the afternoon but the good thing about the product is that it touches up well. 1 or 2 light pats and the problem is totally fixed.

5.) This is essentially a sunscreen so don't expect it to absorb oil. I've had to touch up with oil blotters and a little powder around my nose every once in a while. No biggie.

6.) Unless you like the Just-Applied-Sunscreen look, you'll have to set it with powder. I used Clinique Transparent Powder which has worked really well with it.

7.) The makeup goes on lighter than what it looks like in the compact. Be forewarned.

8.) I can see how this product would NOT look good on someone with serious problem skin. On a day I neglected to exfoliate (Retin-A issues) I noticed that it "highlighted" some dry skin on my nose. It was only noticeable in a magnified mirror up-close, but still, proper exfoliation and hydration might be necessary.

My overall impression is that this is a good product. It makes my skin feel good, it goes on smoothly, and gives a naturally even look. I would give it a 5 only if it was a total miracle-worker and performed better in the longevity and oil absorbing department. But for what it is, I'm happy with it. I will totally buy this again

This is what I use when I'm in a hurry in the morning. I like that it is easy to apply, even though the coverage is more like a tint than a foundation. I do have somewhat oily skin and I'll blot during the day, but the foundation seems to wear well. It feels moist going on and takes some time to feel dry, but it works for me.

I've been using the Healthy Skin liquid makeup since November, and it's been working splendidly for me. However, liquid foundation can be quite a hassle when it comes to touch ups throughout the day, so I was very pleased when Neutrogena released this compact formula. The packaging seems very hygenic (the sponge and makeup are kept in seperate compartments, with tiny holes for ventilation on the sponge's side, with a large mirror between them) and makes for effortless touch ups. This formula boasts a truly impressive SPF (55! Full spectrum!) but doesn't seem sunscreen-y at all; in fact, the coverage feels very light and airy, even though it masks blotches perfectly. So far (I've been using it for approximately 2 weeks) I haven't had a trace of a breakout, in spite of some seemingly comodegenic ingredients (Beeswax is one of the first listed. Odd!). As long as my tempermental skin behaves, I'll trust this makeup's formula! My one complaint lies with the included sponge: It isn't very pliable (It reminds me of those tough, dry sponges used for rubbing deodorant marks off of dark clothes), feels a bit rough on the skin, and doesn't blend very well. For touch ups it suffices, but if I was doing my whole face with this makeup, I would definitely use a quality application sponge.