Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

Filtered by skin type : Other

2.9

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I love this foudation and could not believe all the terible reviews it got on Amazon. This is a cream foundatin (not cream to powder) in it's classic form. It's meant to be sponged on or one guesses you can brush it on though I would recommend you ONLY sponge it on. I think peoples bad reaction to this product is they use too much poduct (swipe their sponge/brush across the makeup too hard and too many times.) The less you use of this the better. The secret is you only swipe the sponge 1-2 times which is enough to do half your face. 2 swipes of the sponge may be enough product for your entire face (depending on how much pressure you use taking the product up on your sponge.) The less pressure, the better. You should first apply the sponge to the upper-center of your cheek and move back towards the ear and then come back to center (where you started and proceed moving toward your nose (one side) and chin (one side.) Repeat the process for the other side of your face. What is left over may be enough for you to then use it on your forehead. IF YOU INITIALLY TAKE TOO MUCH OF THIS ON YOUR SPONGE YOU WILL HAVE A MESS. It will look cakey, old fasioned overmade up and accent every little fine, dry line nevermind the deeper ones. You may or may not have to powder this dowm (I don't, just the nose.) I think it looks great has great coverage w/out being too makeupy looking. It wears real well, almost 'till it's time to come off. They might be discontinuing it as I purchased it for 8 bucks in Target. This may have been specified as a makeup to use after a cosmetic procedure as it has an SPF of 55!!! The SPF is "Helioplex" which is Neutrogena's (and anyone elses for that matter except La Roche-Posay "Anthelios") BEST. It's a great sunsreen as it filters the "A" rays as well as it filters the "B" rays. Most sunsreens claim to be broadspectrum (Blocking A&B rays), but their defense of the A rays doesn't hold up to how well they fight the B rays. The A rays are the most damaging in the long run as their wavelenghth allows them to penetrate deeper into the more underlying layers of the skin. This is the kind of damage which doesn't show right away. It may take years to decades to show it's most damage...anyway I know of no other makeup with this high an SPF using "Helioplex." The compact is made well and durable. It easily slides into the smallest space so it's great for portability. Because of its formulation it's a great makeup to take with you and use on the fly. Though I think it holds up so well there may not be need for touch-ups. What more can one ask of their foundation at this price??????

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I bought the Neutrogena Healthy skin Compact Make up Heliopex SPF 55 and I only tried it once but Im giving it another chance. First of all it smells like sunscreen, Im not really a fan of the smell but it all depends on the person. I used very little of it and still made a good coverage. Although I read other reviews that it disappears during the day and you would reapply it. But my boyfriend told me that my skin looks natural compare to how I usually put makeup, which before I would use Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Liquid Foundation and with Matte Finish. And that takes for ever to apply and messing for me compare to Neutrogena which is a fast to apply which i like. Overall I would buy it again even though its a bit expensive but I have to bare with the smell and would reapply if it disappears and plus Neutrogena is good for your skin which is a plus.

Skin: Other, Medium, Warm

I wanted this to work badly, but unfortunately, this foundation left me looking like I put lard on my face after only 2 hours. =( I liked the fact that it has a high spf to it and the finish was a natural dewy look but too bad its no good for oily skin. I bought this at Rite Aid (while I was visiting the US) for $13.99 and bought it in the shade Natural Beige (60) (around NC30-35 at the moment) but it was slightly too dark. I think 50 was a bit too pink and 40 may have been a touch too light.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i just got this and this is just an initial review ill get back to it to update but man! i thought spf 55 would be the deal! but for some reason i wasnt expecting it to smell lik sunscreen but it does! its not sparkly lik sunscreen but it definitely leaves a sheen kinda dewy look. ithought it would be lik maybelline smooth mousse but its a lot thicker and a little dryer harder to blend. i had to set it b/c it was stickyish. mmm lol not loving it so far

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

Concept: Love the SPF 55 factor, and the fact that it offers both 3%avobenzone as well as Helioplex. Most makeup touting an SPF contains both lame sunscreen ingredients as well as lame percentages *of* those lame sunscreen ingredients.

Test 1 of SPF makeup: Both the ingredients and their percentages must be high enough to make an impact if you are depending on only a makeup product to protect you from the sun's harmful rays.
Test 2: The makeup must offer an SPF that's high enough to begin with.

Well, even though the active ingredients & high SPF of the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact SPF 55 passes Tests 1 & 2, here's the rub before one gets a false sense of security with makeup containing SPF. You need to consider first how much actual old-fashioned lotion/cream-based bottled sunscreen one must apply to yield the full benefits & SPF stated on the bottle: i.e., a quarter-teaspoon to the face alone. Some derms insist on more than this, but a quarter-teaspoon is a ton & will have to suffice for me. So, be honest here. If you're riding on the SPF in your face makeup & skipping sunscreen as a pre-step: are you really applying this much foundation or powder to your face alone to yield all its sun-protecting benefits?

Moral: don't depend on the SPF in your makeup. At most, this is something I would use if I were staying inside the house all day.

(P.S. on SPF application: another quarter-teaspoon to the neck, & a full shotglass on the body from the clavicle down is required for sufficient protection.)

Colorwise: The lightest shade of this compact almost worked for me, and was a trifle pink. NC15/NW15 are both almost always too dark for me, & L'Oreal True Match in W1 is a perfect match even though I dislike its shiny texture/finish. So that should offer a sense of my coloring.

Finish: I returned this product because it isn't something I can use if Retin-A & glycolic acid are apart of my skincare regime. Like physical-based sunscreens (which Avobenzone/Helioplex isn't!), this compact makeup with SPF just dried out & fries my face due to the Retin-A I use. So, of course the texture wasn't all that hot as a result. I will repurchase this summer when I take time off from the above actives & am just self-tanning to give this makeup a second chance. If the finish improves then, I will up the current 3-lippie rating.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

this makeup gives almost NO coverage. i honestly had to do a double take when i was putting this on because it did almost nothing to my skin, except make it slightly more orange. if you take a light coverage foundation, and subtract 80% of the coverage you get from a light coverage product, you get this. streaky, all up in my pore's business, and may have made parts of my face burn for a bit. it kind of works as a primer for my revlon new complexion makeup and stops it from creasing/ whatnot, but then i feel ridiculous for using two foundations that are both too warm for my skintone. it also works slightly better with laura mercier primer, but i feel ridiculous again wasting that on such a crappy foundation. bbcreams have made me spoiled, i think, because all the drugstore foundations i try are now woefully inadequate.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love the Healthy Skin Enhancer (tinted moisturizer) but currently need a bit more coverage so I thought this would be great- so wrong. The texture of the product was inconsistent and grainy. It turned to powder almost imediately so it was impossible to blend or build coverage. I tried sponge and my fingers with zero success.

Popular Crème Foundations