Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

Filtered by skin tone : Medium

2.4

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

While I was in Walgreens last night, buying rock salt, I couldn't help but wander into the cosmetics department, and I happened to find this. I had been considering the Revlon Photo Ready compact foundation, but this one sold me on the SPF 55. It was pretty difficult to find my shade, but I ended up with # 40 I figured I could always return it if it wasn't a match. This isn't bad, I used the sponge to apply all over and my Sonia Kashuk multipurpose brush to apply closer to the eyes and to cover in spots. The texture wasn't chalky or anything, despite the high SPF. I set it with Coty Airspun powder and only blotted once during the day, so no oilies for me. But overall, I think I need more coverage. I like an airbrushed, perfected look, and I don't think this is going to do it for me. I will probably use this as sort of a primer for mineral foundations. Unless, of course, the SPF 55 perfects my skin to the point where I don't need anything else. Wishful thinking!!
UPDATE: It's now summer and I tried this again. You have to be really careful because this can look cakey if you don't blend really well. I just looked in the mirror, and it was caked around my eyebrows - yuck! I agree with some others who said that this has a weird texture, like it's creamy and chalky at the same time. I'll use this only for the sunscreen properties, if it doesn't melt off my face, that is. Lowered to 2 stars.

I don't really like this foundation. When I first rubbed the sponge in it, it looked grainy and applied it on my skin and it felt rough like there was glitter in it?? The coverage was light no matter how many layers I put on it looked like I had no coverage at all.

Skin: Other, Medium, Warm

I wanted this to work badly, but unfortunately, this foundation left me looking like I put lard on my face after only 2 hours. =( I liked the fact that it has a high spf to it and the finish was a natural dewy look but too bad its no good for oily skin. I bought this at Rite Aid (while I was visiting the US) for $13.99 and bought it in the shade Natural Beige (60) (around NC30-35 at the moment) but it was slightly too dark. I think 50 was a bit too pink and 40 may have been a touch too light.

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I bought the Neutrogena Healthy skin Compact Make up Heliopex SPF 55 and I only tried it once but Im giving it another chance. First of all it smells like sunscreen, Im not really a fan of the smell but it all depends on the person. I used very little of it and still made a good coverage. Although I read other reviews that it disappears during the day and you would reapply it. But my boyfriend told me that my skin looks natural compare to how I usually put makeup, which before I would use Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Liquid Foundation and with Matte Finish. And that takes for ever to apply and messing for me compare to Neutrogena which is a fast to apply which i like. Overall I would buy it again even though its a bit expensive but I have to bare with the smell and would reapply if it disappears and plus Neutrogena is good for your skin which is a plus.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this compact, it does not break me out, after 2 days of using this, it made my skin smother and cleared up a few blemishes that were starting to pop up. I don't care for the package but great sunscreen protect-ant.

I only use mineral makeup, but went out on limb to buy this makeup, when I planned on being outdoors for long periods of time, not an everyday makeup. The makeup comes in a plexi-glass type compact, which I dropped and cracked, so I scooped out the makeup and put it in a small plastic cup with lid, like the kind you get for condiments to-go at food establishments. After 2 days, I went to put the makeup on and noticed that it had stuck to my vanity, I picked it up and noticed what was sticking was melting plastic! The makeup was eating and had ate 3 holes in the plastic cup! As I opened it, I noticed a clear liquid within the makeup, which was the melting plastic, and upon stirring it there were strings of melting plastic within the makeup. And to think, I was putting this stuff on my face!!! I would have never known this stuff eats through plastic if I had not dropped the compact to begin with! I can not believe a product that eats through plastic is being called healthy skin! I have contactedNeutrogena, and all they said was they would refund the $13! it's not about the $13, as a Licensed Esthetician, I am furious, that this company is selling a product for your face that has the ability to eat through plastic! I would never buy any product from them again.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I bought this on sheer impulse after spending a lot of time online looking for what I thought was not invented. I needed a summer time foundation that 1. Doesn't contain talc 2. Doesn't contain bismuth 3. Good for the skin and won't cause breakouts 4. Good color match 5. Inexpensive 6. Oh yeah and some SPF in it too! I couldn't find anything worth buying online so I picked this up at the local pharmacy. I was content with the ingredients and found a decent color match, not perfect though. I purchased Soft Beige #50. 50 is a tad too light for my NW30 with a slight tan. I'm not too bothered by the shade because tone wise, it's perfect. 50 was the only medium shade that didn't lean too yellow. 50 is more neutral and peach. As for the texture, it's actually very nice and glides on the skin with no effort which makes this foundation a winner on busy days. Fusy application isn't needed here! You can use the enclosed sponge, kabuki, BB, fingers, foundation brush whatever, it goes on nice. The finish sets to a satin glowy look and a setting powder is needed for us girls that can become oily. My only problem with this is that it doesn't cover blemishes and under eye circles. The coverage is light and by layering this, it doesn't graduate to higher cover, it just gets thicker. The packaing is nice and sturdy however, it takes hercules strength to open the damnn thing! I'm rating this a 4 until further notice. I'm on the lookout for 1. staying power in that hot heat & 2. any signs of skin irritations.
UPDATE: Okay, this has ZERO staying power. It looks very nice at initial application but fades quickly even with a highend well known setting powder! I'm talking about this being a two hour foundation MAX. I can assume this is more geared for dry skin types. Also, it sinks into my already large pores making them look terrible. Lastly, I exerienced some breakouts and reddness from this. I switched back to my Stila and my skin got back to normal. Up for swap this goes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Loved the SPF 55, but I just couldn't get the oily sheen off my face after using this product. Powder was only a temporary fix. I've got naturally-oily skin w/a history of acne. The "Natural Beige 60" color matched my NC42 skin tone well. This foundation didn't break me out, but I just don't have time to blot/powder every 30 min.

I'd recommend it to people w/naturally dry skin, as it's kind of greasy from the get-go.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

PROS
- Sturdy packaging
- Includes separate compartment for sponge

CONS
- Dry
- (and therefore) Cakey
- Holds onto and emphasizes flakey, dry skin
- Grainy texture
- If you rub your face when it's dry, it balls up into grainy pieces!
- Looks greasy (not even close to a dewy look!)
- Sinks into fine lines
- Bulky packaging

OTHER
- Can't tell you how horrible this foundation is. I've tried to like it but can't. Even though I have only used brushes and the included sponge in this to apply this, but somehow little artificial hairs are in it! Yuck. I tried diluting this with a face moisturizer to smooth out its texture and make a tinted moisturizer, but it became even more grainy. This has made me come to hate pan/cream foundations as this is my first pan/cream foundation I've tried. I was very disappointed as I paid $13 for it and I know cheaper DG foundations that are far better. Will definitely not buy again.

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I love this foudation and could not believe all the terible reviews it got on Amazon. This is a cream foundatin (not cream to powder) in it's classic form. It's meant to be sponged on or one guesses you can brush it on though I would recommend you ONLY sponge it on. I think peoples bad reaction to this product is they use too much poduct (swipe their sponge/brush across the makeup too hard and too many times.) The less you use of this the better. The secret is you only swipe the sponge 1-2 times which is enough to do half your face. 2 swipes of the sponge may be enough product for your entire face (depending on how much pressure you use taking the product up on your sponge.) The less pressure, the better. You should first apply the sponge to the upper-center of your cheek and move back towards the ear and then come back to center (where you started and proceed moving toward your nose (one side) and chin (one side.) Repeat the process for the other side of your face. What is left over may be enough for you to then use it on your forehead. IF YOU INITIALLY TAKE TOO MUCH OF THIS ON YOUR SPONGE YOU WILL HAVE A MESS. It will look cakey, old fasioned overmade up and accent every little fine, dry line nevermind the deeper ones. You may or may not have to powder this dowm (I don't, just the nose.) I think it looks great has great coverage w/out being too makeupy looking. It wears real well, almost 'till it's time to come off. They might be discontinuing it as I purchased it for 8 bucks in Target. This may have been specified as a makeup to use after a cosmetic procedure as it has an SPF of 55!!! The SPF is "Helioplex" which is Neutrogena's (and anyone elses for that matter except La Roche-Posay "Anthelios") BEST. It's a great sunsreen as it filters the "A" rays as well as it filters the "B" rays. Most sunsreens claim to be broadspectrum (Blocking A&B rays), but their defense of the A rays doesn't hold up to how well they fight the B rays. The A rays are the most damaging in the long run as their wavelenghth allows them to penetrate deeper into the more underlying layers of the skin. This is the kind of damage which doesn't show right away. It may take years to decades to show it's most damage...anyway I know of no other makeup with this high an SPF using "Helioplex." The compact is made well and durable. It easily slides into the smallest space so it's great for portability. Because of its formulation it's a great makeup to take with you and use on the fly. Though I think it holds up so well there may not be need for touch-ups. What more can one ask of their foundation at this price??????