Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

2.5

I don't know how anyone has made this work for them - it's some of the worst foundation I've ever used. Even with primer on, it just sits on top of my skin. And if I try to blend it, it just comes off altogether and leaves red patches on my face. I got this at a close out store in NYC and now I know why it was sent there, it's awful.

I love this because it provides medium coverage that I need in the summer and a bit of moisture for my combination skin. It does transfer, but I found that it has staying power as long as you don't touch your face. (I also use Lancome's Teint Indole on days when my skin is super oily.)

Pros: good for combination skin, better sun protection, no fragrance, sheer to medium coverage
Con's: don't like the packaging (ugly), small amount of product for price, color range is limited

Application:
I apply toner to my face (Algenist), and sunblock (Replenix Sheer Physical Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50 Plus) and let it dry. (I also reviewed Replenix.) Then I apply a minimal amount of the foundation with my fingers, gently spreading it out on my face. I apply a bit more in some areas that aren't prone to creasing. You can smooth it into your pores with a bit of moisture, which other reviewers pointed out. This was a game changer for me! I mist my face with toner and gently smooth out the coverage with my fingers. Doing this will sheer out the coverage a bit. Sometimes I use a finishing power (nyx HD) I am about nc25/30 and wear Nude (which is a bit more warm) Buff matches my skin tone. Ulta has the entire color line while some drug stores only carry a few colors in store.

About my skin:
My skin is combination: oily (to very oily) skin that tends to have a dry surface. I have small areas of larger pores. My skin is generally break out free. I use foundation to cover minor uneven skin tone and make my complexion more warm toned.

EDIT JUNE 26,2016:I still really like this. I have found that it can settle in my pores BUT if I put it on with my fingers and then run my fingers under the water and get them damp and then blend in, it covers like a dream and no settling into pores!!! WONDERFUL!

Best cream foundation I have tried. (and embarrassingly, I've wasted lots of money trying them ALL) Not sure if it's really a cream to powder but maybe...it seems to set to a very semi matte finish but with a healthy glow!!!! NOT GREASY.I was worried it would get greasy but it really has a nice wear time and doesnt turn orange and oily. I havent found it to settle into my pores and pool around my pores on my nose but I blend very well when applying. I have tried every cream to powder foundation out there and they all look so cakey and dry. NOT THIS ONE. I have no idea why people don't give it better reviews. It's fabulous. You have to apply it in very think layers and really blend it in. I find my fingers do the best with a cream foundation so I can get into the hard places. I know....i shouldn't use my fingers but if you use a brush I think this will be streaky. I'm nc 15 and use Classic Ivory. its a really good match but I do use the pressed healthy skin sheer powder by neutrogena on top in Nude for just a touch of color since it's summer and I love that powder! Neither broke me out. I HAVE THE MOST SENSITIVE SKIN ON EARTH AND this does not break me out which is such a needed element in a foundation. I tried the long lastiing foundation of Neutrogena's but it's lasting power wasnt as good as this (if you powder on top) ! Plus the long lasting foundation definitely had a cakey look and really enhanced my pores. With this foundation, At the end of the day, I still look pretty good and fresh and I dont blot! I was going to try Neutrogena's healthy skin liquid foundation becuase it seems to have slightly better reviews but per "Paula" it has a certain ingredient that can cause flare ups and I'm not gonna take the chance with my sensitive skin.....so I tried this and I love it!!! The coverage is medium to almost full if you layer. You do have to blend it really well and let it set a little before you put your powder on or the powder will cake it up. It does set quite quickly and not dry looking. Just like healthy skin! I"M IMPRESSED and love the coverage, the finish and the wear! Will definitely re purchase. Think I may have found my holy grail gals! Im combo skin with oily t zone. This doesnt slide off your face. I don't feel "Gloppy" at the end of the day. Feels like nothing on your skin. not tight like some foundations and doesnt feel like I have an oil slick on my face. I do moisturize quite well under neath which I thought would cause a mess later in the day, but it didnt. I WOULD ignore the bad reviews and try this. Just be sure to let it set and powder on top.

Awful product! Incredibly greasy on my skin,overpriced,settled into pores,transfers like crazy,settled into lines and did absolutely nothing to improve my skin. I only gave it one lippie because the shade, Classic Ivory matched good. However that isn't enough to rate well and if I could give this mess a zero, I would.

I love this hidden gem. It applies smoothly and flawlessly Thanks to the H/plex. I have great skin and this only enhances it even more. The H/plex fills in any wrinkles and softens fine lines, I really love this addition to the Foundation. I do not use a powder with this as it provides a demi-glow to my skin. I use Hula bronzer and Chanel Glossimer in Unity. Looks beautiful and I am happy with this foundation. Rite Aid $10.

I actually just got this product. Freaking love it. I have an oily T-zone and dry cheeks. It works out for my skin. I avoid applying on my forehead, but I sometimes do by accident. I haven't broken out yet:-) I recommend neutrogena for teenagers like myself:-)
I do think it's a bit overpriced however I love the packaging.

Really like this, especially for the under $10 price! The color Classic Ivory is just right for me. Usually I buy the palest shade of any foundation. Not seeing it first in person was a little troubling, but I went ahead, since it was so cheap!

I like the compact it comes in. It's just a little hard to open sometimes. But inside, it's nice -- there's a mirror! and an applicator sponge in its own little bumpy compartment. I've not tried the sponge, since I've always fingerpainted my foundation. But I may give it a whirl.

I bought this b/c I was going on vacation and needed a Carribean-strength spf.I was pleasantly surprised to find something with SPF55, in a great color for me, as a compact (so no spillage as I carry it in my beach bag). The reviews said you can build up the coverage, and it's true! I already got compliments on my skin during my pre-vacation trial run of the product.

I applied it over the Neutrogena healthy skin primer spf 15. Might be spf over kill for some, but I'm very light. And I know applying enough spf is the key to not getting burnt.

I've pretty much bought highend cosmetics over the years, since they seemed to perform better than the DS variety. But I think the DS stuff is catching up quickly. You just have to choose carefully.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Horrible product dried my skin out especially under my eyes. Broke me put in some places. Horrible. Love only the coverage

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I decided to experiment and instead of continuing with the usual Healthy Skin Enhancer I always get, I wanted to try out the Compact Makeup's new texture, more opaque coverage, and higher SPF.

Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised with the tone of Nude 40, I had just put on a tan after moving back to Florida and was worried about darker foundations having a pink undertone, but Nude 40 has just the right amount of yellow for my olive skin. Secondly, the opacity and longevity of the color was also spot on, considering I was aiming for this to be an apply once-in-the-morning-then-go type of thing. As for the SPF? It's hard to make an immediate opinion on this since you'd probably need a UV camera to properly assess whether you've gotten more sun damage or not but I'll give the benefit of the doubt about the SPF 55 working better than the SPF 20 Healthy Skin Enhancer. It doesn't really matter unless you're outside for more than 20min at a time I believe, so if you're just flitting between work, car, restaurant, etc it's not a big deal.

So why the low rating? Ugh, just the texture and the way it reacts with my skin. I was already skeptical about the paste medium and how it would do on my oily skin, but I willingly went into this. I have pore issues on my nose and cheek area under my eyes, and let me tell you as it went on, it seemed satiny and smooth. However after about half an hour every little pore seemed to have a minuscule, skin colored "flake" from the foundation. Really hid the pores in the same way holding a tree branch in front of you works as camouflage. I also got really shiny -not- in the angelically dewy way, but Florida humidity is a little difficult to beat, and I'm too lazy to worry about touch ups or blotting paper so I'll let that slide. I've also developed a couple hard black heads/break outs from this switch and I know Neutrogena likes to be comedogenic so that's been confusing (mind you, I use an exfoliating scrub every morning and night).

Considering everything, I'd recommend this to someone with perfectly moisture balanced, marble-smooth skin. So if you know how to get your skin to that level and just need the color coverage and sun protection, buy it! I'm weary about recommending this for older skin because of the way it "flakes" out of the pores, it might flake in wrinkles and end up exaggerating them.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse

Wonderful texture, melts on your skin, SPF 55 is great, especially if you have rosacea, like me. Shade 60 Natural Beige works very well with my Pantone summer skin. So I give it 5 stars for doing what is supposed to do: protect you from the sun, not exacerbate acne, and provide moderate coverage without drying or being excessively oily. It combines well with powder if you like a more matte look. Make sure your skin is smooth, not flaky because it will get trapped in the flakes, however it does not get trapped in pores, and does not accentuate them..
However, I took 3 stars off the packaging because the plastic compact hinge broke, and I was reduced to using a plastic band to keep it together. Messy, though. Also, I never used the sponge, used my fingers instead.