Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

Filtered by age: 44-55

2.9

I don't understand the bad reviews?! This is not for oily skin, however. I generally like cream to powder foundations; I like the ease of use & medium coverage. This has high spf too. Win

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What's not to sound good about this product especially in the summer. I love the Neutrogena Healthy Skin liquid foundation, why wouldn't I just love this compact makeup with SPF 55?

Well, to sum it up into a few words, it is disgusting. What a disappointment from Neutrogena!

If you want makeup that settles in and highlights every pore on your face and makes you look 10 years older, this is the one. I even tried different applicators, still gross. Pass on this one.

Update october 2017: Milani updates their shades for pale gals. I have 00B for pale gals with yellow undertones....natural non cakey coverage that can be as full as you want....doesnt enhance pores....BEST FOUNDATION ON THE PLANET AND THEY LISTENED THEIR CUSTOMERS!!

EDIT JUNE 26,2016:I still really like this. I have found that it can settle in my pores BUT if I put it on with my fingers and then run my fingers under the water and get them damp and then blend in, it covers like a dream and no settling into pores!!! WONDERFUL!

Best cream foundation I have tried. (and embarrassingly, I've wasted lots of money trying them ALL) Not sure if it's really a cream to powder but maybe...it seems to set to a very semi matte finish but with a healthy glow!!!! NOT GREASY.I was worried it would get greasy but it really has a nice wear time and doesnt turn orange and oily. I havent found it to settle into my pores and pool around my pores on my nose but I blend very well when applying. I have tried every cream to powder foundation out there and they all look so cakey and dry. NOT THIS ONE. I have no idea why people don't give it better reviews. It's fabulous. You have to apply it in very think layers and really blend it in. I find my fingers do the best with a cream foundation so I can get into the hard places. I know....i shouldn't use my fingers but if you use a brush I think this will be streaky. I'm nc 15 and use Classic Ivory. its a really good match but I do use the pressed healthy skin sheer powder by neutrogena on top in Nude for just a touch of color since it's summer and I love that powder! Neither broke me out. I HAVE THE MOST SENSITIVE SKIN ON EARTH AND this does not break me out which is such a needed element in a foundation. I tried the long lastiing foundation of Neutrogena's but it's lasting power wasnt as good as this (if you powder on top) ! Plus the long lasting foundation definitely had a cakey look and really enhanced my pores. With this foundation, At the end of the day, I still look pretty good and fresh and I dont blot! I was going to try Neutrogena's healthy skin liquid foundation becuase it seems to have slightly better reviews but per "Paula" it has a certain ingredient that can cause flare ups and I'm not gonna take the chance with my sensitive skin.....so I tried this and I love it!!! The coverage is medium to almost full if you layer. You do have to blend it really well and let it set a little before you put your powder on or the powder will cake it up. It does set quite quickly and not dry looking. Just like healthy skin! I"M IMPRESSED and love the coverage, the finish and the wear! Will definitely re purchase. Think I may have found my holy grail gals! Im combo skin with oily t zone. This doesnt slide off your face. I don't feel "Gloppy" at the end of the day. Feels like nothing on your skin. not tight like some foundations and doesnt feel like I have an oil slick on my face. I do moisturize quite well under neath which I thought would cause a mess later in the day, but it didnt. I WOULD ignore the bad reviews and try this. Just be sure to let it set and powder on top.

Awful product! Incredibly greasy on my skin,overpriced,settled into pores,transfers like crazy,settled into lines and did absolutely nothing to improve my skin. I only gave it one lippie because the shade, Classic Ivory matched good. However that isn't enough to rate well and if I could give this mess a zero, I would.

I love this hidden gem. It applies smoothly and flawlessly Thanks to the H/plex. I have great skin and this only enhances it even more. The H/plex fills in any wrinkles and softens fine lines, I really love this addition to the Foundation. I do not use a powder with this as it provides a demi-glow to my skin. I use Hula bronzer and Chanel Glossimer in Unity. Looks beautiful and I am happy with this foundation. Rite Aid $10.

Really like this, especially for the under $10 price! The color Classic Ivory is just right for me. Usually I buy the palest shade of any foundation. Not seeing it first in person was a little troubling, but I went ahead, since it was so cheap!

I like the compact it comes in. It's just a little hard to open sometimes. But inside, it's nice -- there's a mirror! and an applicator sponge in its own little bumpy compartment. I've not tried the sponge, since I've always fingerpainted my foundation. But I may give it a whirl.

I bought this b/c I was going on vacation and needed a Carribean-strength spf.I was pleasantly surprised to find something with SPF55, in a great color for me, as a compact (so no spillage as I carry it in my beach bag). The reviews said you can build up the coverage, and it's true! I already got compliments on my skin during my pre-vacation trial run of the product.

I applied it over the Neutrogena healthy skin primer spf 15. Might be spf over kill for some, but I'm very light. And I know applying enough spf is the key to not getting burnt.

I've pretty much bought highend cosmetics over the years, since they seemed to perform better than the DS variety. But I think the DS stuff is catching up quickly. You just have to choose carefully.

Pros:
Cannot think of any other than the sponge that does make application easy

Cons:
-Packaging - Weird packaging that flips open upside down
-BURNT my skin when applied - I did some research and saw this happened to other people using Neutrogena products with sunscreen due to an ingredient called Oxybenzone -Tried applying over a primer to see if it would not burn and the burning sensation was less but then my face looked like an oil slick
-Sat on top of skin and made pores look terrible by having product pool in pores

Would not recommend for anyone or buy again - This one needs to be taken off the shelves!

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I love this foudation and could not believe all the terible reviews it got on Amazon. This is a cream foundatin (not cream to powder) in it's classic form. It's meant to be sponged on or one guesses you can brush it on though I would recommend you ONLY sponge it on. I think peoples bad reaction to this product is they use too much poduct (swipe their sponge/brush across the makeup too hard and too many times.) The less you use of this the better. The secret is you only swipe the sponge 1-2 times which is enough to do half your face. 2 swipes of the sponge may be enough product for your entire face (depending on how much pressure you use taking the product up on your sponge.) The less pressure, the better. You should first apply the sponge to the upper-center of your cheek and move back towards the ear and then come back to center (where you started and proceed moving toward your nose (one side) and chin (one side.) Repeat the process for the other side of your face. What is left over may be enough for you to then use it on your forehead. IF YOU INITIALLY TAKE TOO MUCH OF THIS ON YOUR SPONGE YOU WILL HAVE A MESS. It will look cakey, old fasioned overmade up and accent every little fine, dry line nevermind the deeper ones. You may or may not have to powder this dowm (I don't, just the nose.) I think it looks great has great coverage w/out being too makeupy looking. It wears real well, almost 'till it's time to come off. They might be discontinuing it as I purchased it for 8 bucks in Target. This may have been specified as a makeup to use after a cosmetic procedure as it has an SPF of 55!!! The SPF is "Helioplex" which is Neutrogena's (and anyone elses for that matter except La Roche-Posay "Anthelios") BEST. It's a great sunsreen as it filters the "A" rays as well as it filters the "B" rays. Most sunsreens claim to be broadspectrum (Blocking A&B rays), but their defense of the A rays doesn't hold up to how well they fight the B rays. The A rays are the most damaging in the long run as their wavelenghth allows them to penetrate deeper into the more underlying layers of the skin. This is the kind of damage which doesn't show right away. It may take years to decades to show it's most damage...anyway I know of no other makeup with this high an SPF using "Helioplex." The compact is made well and durable. It easily slides into the smallest space so it's great for portability. Because of its formulation it's a great makeup to take with you and use on the fly. Though I think it holds up so well there may not be need for touch-ups. What more can one ask of their foundation at this price??????

I really wanted to love this but I cannot wait to take it back to CVS. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer tinted moisturizer (in the pump bottle) is my HG drugstore tinted moisturizer, so I had high hopes for this makeup. The fact that it has Helioplex and UVA /UVB protection was a major attraction.

First, the packaging. The plastic tape they use to seal it could be used by NASA, in my opinion. And maybe I'm a bonehead but the compact doesn't open like most--you have to flick it open, if that makes sense.

Next, the makeup. I got the lightest shade (I'm NW20 for reference) and it was way too light. Very ghostlike. That is probably my fault for misjudging, but to me the product goes on a lot lighter than it looks in the pan. The reason I'm giving this a rating of WORST is that it just sat on top of my skin, except for where it filled in my pores so I looked like I had white cream plugging them. It emphasized any dryness or flakes I had on my face too. Pretty much just strobed any flaws I have in the surface of my skin. Terrible stuff, alas. The $15 price tag is outrageous--I got it on sale at CVS and had a coupon and it was still $7, which is $7 too much in my opinion. I would not be surprised if they discontinue this eventually.

Popular Crème Foundations