Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

Filtered by age: 25-29

2.6

I love this because it provides medium coverage that I need in the summer and a bit of moisture for my combination skin. It does transfer, but I found that it has staying power as long as you don't touch your face. (I also use Lancome's Teint Indole on days when my skin is super oily.)

Pros: good for combination skin, better sun protection, no fragrance, sheer to medium coverage
Con's: don't like the packaging (ugly), small amount of product for price, color range is limited

Application:
I apply toner to my face (Algenist), and sunblock (Replenix Sheer Physical Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50 Plus) and let it dry. (I also reviewed Replenix.) Then I apply a minimal amount of the foundation with my fingers, gently spreading it out on my face. I apply a bit more in some areas that aren't prone to creasing. You can smooth it into your pores with a bit of moisture, which other reviewers pointed out. This was a game changer for me! I mist my face with toner and gently smooth out the coverage with my fingers. Doing this will sheer out the coverage a bit. Sometimes I use a finishing power (nyx HD) I am about nc25/30 and wear Nude (which is a bit more warm) Buff matches my skin tone. Ulta has the entire color line while some drug stores only carry a few colors in store.

About my skin:
My skin is combination: oily (to very oily) skin that tends to have a dry surface. I have small areas of larger pores. My skin is generally break out free. I use foundation to cover minor uneven skin tone and make my complexion more warm toned.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I decided to experiment and instead of continuing with the usual Healthy Skin Enhancer I always get, I wanted to try out the Compact Makeup's new texture, more opaque coverage, and higher SPF.

Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised with the tone of Nude 40, I had just put on a tan after moving back to Florida and was worried about darker foundations having a pink undertone, but Nude 40 has just the right amount of yellow for my olive skin. Secondly, the opacity and longevity of the color was also spot on, considering I was aiming for this to be an apply once-in-the-morning-then-go type of thing. As for the SPF? It's hard to make an immediate opinion on this since you'd probably need a UV camera to properly assess whether you've gotten more sun damage or not but I'll give the benefit of the doubt about the SPF 55 working better than the SPF 20 Healthy Skin Enhancer. It doesn't really matter unless you're outside for more than 20min at a time I believe, so if you're just flitting between work, car, restaurant, etc it's not a big deal.

So why the low rating? Ugh, just the texture and the way it reacts with my skin. I was already skeptical about the paste medium and how it would do on my oily skin, but I willingly went into this. I have pore issues on my nose and cheek area under my eyes, and let me tell you as it went on, it seemed satiny and smooth. However after about half an hour every little pore seemed to have a minuscule, skin colored "flake" from the foundation. Really hid the pores in the same way holding a tree branch in front of you works as camouflage. I also got really shiny -not- in the angelically dewy way, but Florida humidity is a little difficult to beat, and I'm too lazy to worry about touch ups or blotting paper so I'll let that slide. I've also developed a couple hard black heads/break outs from this switch and I know Neutrogena likes to be comedogenic so that's been confusing (mind you, I use an exfoliating scrub every morning and night).

Considering everything, I'd recommend this to someone with perfectly moisture balanced, marble-smooth skin. So if you know how to get your skin to that level and just need the color coverage and sun protection, buy it! I'm weary about recommending this for older skin because of the way it "flakes" out of the pores, it might flake in wrinkles and end up exaggerating them.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

this makeup gives almost NO coverage. i honestly had to do a double take when i was putting this on because it did almost nothing to my skin, except make it slightly more orange. if you take a light coverage foundation, and subtract 80% of the coverage you get from a light coverage product, you get this. streaky, all up in my pore's business, and may have made parts of my face burn for a bit. it kind of works as a primer for my revlon new complexion makeup and stops it from creasing/ whatnot, but then i feel ridiculous for using two foundations that are both too warm for my skintone. it also works slightly better with laura mercier primer, but i feel ridiculous again wasting that on such a crappy foundation. bbcreams have made me spoiled, i think, because all the drugstore foundations i try are now woefully inadequate.

I'm going to write about my skin first. Then I'll write about the product. I've also gone through this review several times to attempt to keep it short (yes this is the shorter version). My skin is a pale olive (aka yellow undertone NC15 in summer; about two shades lighter than NC15 in winter). It is combination. My chin & above my lips are dry and get flaky sometimes. Meanwhile my forehead, cheeks, and nose get really oily (fyi foundation slides off my nose). The rest is normal. My flaws include the occasional pimples (2-3), under eye circles, orange-rind pores on my cheeks with some redness, redness around the corner of my lips & around nose, and I have 3 veins to the right of my lips. That's what I need to cover up (sounds like a lot, but I know people who have a lot more; I need about medium coverage).
This is okay for coverage. I'd say more like a light to light-medium. I can feel this on my skin (slightly heavier than a TM or BB cream-which I normally wear). It does not cover my flaws. I still see everything I mentioned above. Redness has to be covered by concealer, under eye circles covered by concealer..etc. My large pores aren't covered but this didn't make them more obvious.I usually hate cream foundations but this one isn't bad. The usual cream foundation settles into fine lines, cakes, shows off my dry areas, and makes me look about 35-40yrs old (I'm only 25). So with that being said this doesn't do that. Yes it kinda settles into fine lines yet it doesn't make them look obvious (kinda contradicting I know). It does cling to dry areas so moisturize before hand (doesn't make them more obvious though but I can tell; I'm sure if you looked at me you'd have no idea). As for lasting power and oil control, I do not know. I haven't worn this to work to give it a full test. Honestly I personally do not like this enough to wear it every day. As a cream foundation it is one of the best I've found though. Personally I like more coverage to my foundations and for it to not cling to my dry areas (the BB cream I use doesn't do this). So I'll be returning this to the store. I did leave a "yes" for re-buying and a 3 for the Overall Rating because I could see someone loving this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I thought this stuff was gonna be wonderful considering the liquid Healthy Skin makeup was a perfect match for my skin but I am regreting the buy now. I have been using this for awhile and thought I was breaking out from the new powder I was using over it. But since the powder is all mineral and doesn't have really any skin irritants in it I thought I would experiement. I have not had the foundation on in about two weeks but have been wearing my Physicians Formula All Mineral Talc Free Powder alone. My skin was awesome! Glowing and no bumps on my chin....finally! Today I had a job interview and wanted extra coverage. I put the creme Healthy Skin Helioplex foundation on my face and a light brush of my mineral powder over top. It is unbelievable...I put this on at 12:30pm and at 3:00pm my chin now has a bunch of tiny red bumps and a larger blind pimple which is painful to the touch now forming. This is crazyness! If you have sensitive skin DO NOT TRY THIS!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Loved the SPF 55, but I just couldn't get the oily sheen off my face after using this product. Powder was only a temporary fix. I've got naturally-oily skin w/a history of acne. The "Natural Beige 60" color matched my NC42 skin tone well. This foundation didn't break me out, but I just don't have time to blot/powder every 30 min.

I'd recommend it to people w/naturally dry skin, as it's kind of greasy from the get-go.

I wanted to love this because of the SPF, but I am finding it lacking in a few ways. It stays wet forever, and is not easy to blend. It also looks much darker in the package than it does on your face, so I should have gotten a deeper shade. It feels heavy when you put it on, but does feel lighter later in the day. I have been using it when I know I'll be out in the sun a lot, with a setting powder over it, but I don't think I'll get it again.

I got this on a whim hoping to find a slightly more moisturizing product than my powder. This wasn't it. I have pretty normal skin with some oily tendencies. This actually gave me dry spots, which I've never seen before. It seems to me more like a sheer creme SPF with a little bit of tint rather than a good coverage foundation.

My skin feels very smooth and clean with it on as it absorbs really fast into my skin and it smooths a little bit of coloration on my cheeks. But within an hour it almost looks like its not there anymore. I've never had a foundation fade that fast off my face!

I really wanted to like this. But I think this is more made for a more oily skin since it did give me dry spots on my face. If you need a product with more SPF rather than a coverage this would prolly be ok short term. (going to the beach, outside activities etc) The compact was a good idea just the formulation was a fail to me. I liked the liquid healthy skin but it was just too messy for me. This doesn't give any kind of dewy effect that the liquid does, its more a natural matte. Hopefully they will improve on this product in the future.

Skin: Other, Medium, Warm

I wanted this to work badly, but unfortunately, this foundation left me looking like I put lard on my face after only 2 hours. =( I liked the fact that it has a high spf to it and the finish was a natural dewy look but too bad its no good for oily skin. I bought this at Rite Aid (while I was visiting the US) for $13.99 and bought it in the shade Natural Beige (60) (around NC30-35 at the moment) but it was slightly too dark. I think 50 was a bit too pink and 40 may have been a touch too light.