Alberto Vo5 Alberto Vo5 Shampoos & Condioners (General)

Alberto Vo5 Alberto Vo5 Shampoos & Condioners (General)
Alberto Vo5 Shampoos & Condioners (General)

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love kiwi-lime & strawberries-creme best but you really can’t go wrong w V05 if you cowash like I do. I don’t want any -cones in my conditioner & V05 doesn’t animal test. Also did I mention the price is right? #winning

VO5 Shampoos are super drying. I would use them on and off in the past but switched to sulfate free. If you have tight curls like 3b, do not use the shampoo. If you have very oily hair, they would be a great go to! However, the conditioners are great for a co wash, they're silicone free. I like them all except for the Extra Body which I loved in the past. I don't know what VO5 was thinking reformulating that variety, but now it smells like crap and doesn't work like the older formula.

on 9/21/2014 3:24:00 PM

I am a huge fan of Alberto Vo5's Tea Therapy Shampoo (green tea type), and found that by adding about five drops of tea tree oil to an entire bottle that it worked better for the health of my scalp than Head & Shoulders Selenium Sulfide shampoo. This product, along with the tea tree oil, healed my scalp to the point where I was no longer embarrassed to have hair cuts due to angry, red flaky patches that would persist for months, disappear, and then reappear again. Within a year of introducing Vo5 Tea Therapy Shampoo plus the tea tree oil I doctored it with I was able to ditch the harder-to-find and more costly Head & Shoulders "dandruff" shampoo in the dark blue bottle. (Incidentally, Head & Shoulder's zinc-containing formulas, sold in the white bottles, never helped whatsoever.)

After reestablishing the health of my scalp, I was nervous when I started coloring my hair on a regular basis that I could no longer use my Tea Therapy + Tea Tree Oil standby without risk that it would fade my color (it isn't marketed for colored hair). What I did, instead, was to stick with the Alberto Vo5 brand, just to be safe. I am now on my second bottle of Alberto V05 Salon Series Color Radiance + Shield, both the conditioner and shampoo, and not only has it protected my hair color but NO scalp irritation and NO relapse (even without the tea tree oil). This is HUGE for me because I had been battling seborrheic dermatitis for more than 10 years.

Perhaps I could have added the tea tree oil to just about any silicone-free shampoo and had positive results. However, I have since come to appreciate that a notable difference with the Alberto Vo5 line, both the Tea Therapy and the Salon Series products, is the presence of vitamin B3 (niacin/niacinamide). In contrast, most shampoo manufacturers are still boasting about their Panthenol content (another B vitamin), when in reality B3 is the star performer when it comes to skin and scalp care.

Vitamin B3 has been shown in studies to reduce inflammation, help skin retain moisture, combat acne and it is a leading ingredient in Olay's line of anti-aging Regenerist products because it is also thought to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. True, there are many substances, extracts and the like that claim to be good for the skin or hair, but B3 has the science to back it. What Alberto Vo5 Tea Therapy Shampoo and their Salon Series Color Radiance + Shield have in common unlike 85 percent of shampoos on the market is the inclusion of vitamin B3.

Honestly, I don't know if the B3 in Alberto V05 would have performed any miracles for my scalp if I hadn't already attacked the problem with Head & Shoulders Selenium Sulfide Shampoo for so many years, followed by the tea tree oil for another solid year. However, once my scalp healed, the Alberto Vo5 Tea Therapy and Salon Series line of shampoos have kept it that way. This is a sharp contrast from my prior years-long experience clearing my scalp with Head & Shoulders Selenium Sulfide Shampoo, only to have all the problems return once I reintroduced non-medicated shampoo.

Not only am I sold on Alberto Vo5 for its inclusion of B3, I find it is better than average in leaving my soft and manageable, too. As a bonus, the shampoo and conditioner bottles are perfectly sized to fit on a small ledge or wire rack in one's shower, too. In conclusion, don't let the modest price of Alberto Vo5 hair care products fool you. They outperform many of the Panthenol (vitamin B5-only) shampoos on the market.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love this in the extra body formula,,,It gives my hair great body too! I really only use it about 3 times a week. I like to switch between 2 or 3 different shampoos to help with build up. Its pretty basic but I really do love the shine and super clean smell I get with this. Im kinda burnt out from all the fruity smells out there so this really is a refreshing change :)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely hate these shampoos, I wanted to try something cheap and inexpensive and these left my hair super greasy the conditioners did nothing either, my hair was frizzy AND greasy at the roots. If I am too broke to buy my preferred brand Ill think Ill stick to the Suave shampoos which are a million times better.

on 10/4/2011 9:03:00 PM

These are the best cheap shampoos and conditioners. I have used all of the following shampoo and conditioners:

Strawberries and Cream - lightly moisturizing, not heavy, but I do not care for the overpowering scent.

Passion Fruit Smoothie - lightly moisturizing, not heavy, nice light scent.

Kiwi Lime Clarifying - slightly drying shampoo, the conditioner is my favorite because it feels like it weighs my hair down the least out of all of them although not the most moisturizing, smells amazing.

Extra Body - not drying like many other volumizing shampoos, the conditioner is nice but feels like it leaves a residue after a few days, smells kind of grandma-ey to me.

Like other reviewers have mentioned, they all seem to work the same. None of the formulas I have tried contain silicones. They do not dry out my hair, with the exception of the Kiwi Lime, which is a clarifying shampoo, so that is expected. I will say that it is not the most clarifying shampoo I have used. I feel like the Suave clarifying works better, but it also leaves my hair drier. I have fine hair, oily at the roots, and damaged at the ends. I use these shampoos and conditioners everyday. My favorite combination is the Extra Body shampoo and the Kiwi Lime conditioner. Those together leave my hair soft, shiny, and not weighed down. I do have to use a lot of the conditioner (no matter which formula I use) since my hair is damaged, but for the price, I can afford to do so. Just to give you an idea, I go through almost two bottles of conditioner for every one bottle of shampoo I use. I used to work at a salon and I have tried just about every salon brand out there. After needing a shampoo and conditioner at the last minute, I picked these up since they do not contain silicones and cost less than a dollar. Now this is all I use. I recommend trying them since they are less than a dollar a bottle, so if they don't work for you, its not a big loss.

LOVE LOVE LOVE, the Moisture Milks in Stawberries and Cream.
The smell is devine and it last a long time. the shampoo leave my hair clean yet soft and the conditioner just finishes the perfect wash.
When I do co washes I also use it. my hair is soft has good slip and smell hmmmmmmmmmm lovely. It cost $10.95 ttd each wich is about the cheapest you can get here. I am done using expensive Shampoos and conditioners because in the last few months of using VO5 my hair is actually healthier. At time I add oils for an extra boost.

on 8/27/2011 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This stuff is okay if you're on a budget, but if you can afford to pay more for your hair care products, I suggest you do it. Alberto V05 just cleans your hair-and not all that well.

on 7/23/2011 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Not the best shampoo/conditioner that I've used. They strip my hair and make it look frizzy, dry, dull and lifeless.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

This is the best shampoo and conditioner for my hair type. Salon quality as well as drugstore shampoos and conditioners containing dimethicone, simethicone, ____cone, you get the gist, not only leave my naturally fine, slippery but abundant hair weighed down and limp, they cause a "bump" breakout at the hairline from blocked pores. Vo5 contains none of these and as a result always makes my hair shiny, bouncy and and full of body.

Popular Hair Products