Paula's Choice RESIST Daily Smoothing Treatment 5% AHA

Paula's Choice RESIST Daily Smoothing Treatment 5% AHA

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Glycolic Acid (AHA exfoliant), Cetyl Alcohol (thickener), Butylene Glycol (slip agent and penetration enhancer), Palmitoyl Oligopeptide (cell-communicating ingredient), Ceramide 2 (skin-identical ingredient), Tetrahydrodiferuloylmethane, Tetrahydrodemethoxydiferuloylmethane, Tetrahydrobisdemethoxydiferuoylmethane (anti-irritants/antioxidants derived from curcumin), Epigallocatechin Gallate, Caffeic Acid (antioxidants), Salicylic Acid (BHA exfoliant/anti-irritant), Disodium Lauriminodipropionate Tocopheryl Phosphates (vitamin E-based antioxidant), PEG-10 Rapeseed Sterol (fatty acid thickener), Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract (antioxidant), Bisabolol, Allantoin (anti-irritants), Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethiconol (silicone slip agents/texture enhancers), Tribehenin (texture enhancer), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, PPG-14 Butyl Ether, PEG-40 Stearate, Sorbitan Stearate (thickeners), PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer, Polyacrylamide (film-forming agents), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), C13-14 Isoparaffin (solvent), Laureth-7 (emulsifier), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Caprylyl Glycol (preservative), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Hexylene Glycol (solvent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

on 4/13/2016 8:00:00 AM

I bought a sample. After three uses couldn't see any positive difference in my skin. I've tried to like PC products but they always make my skin only drier :(

on 4/2/2016 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Pros

Inoffensive Scent
Lightweight
Non-Greasy
Non-irritating
Softens Skin

Cons

None

Best Uses

Daily Use
Rough Skin

I have an olive complexion with some sensitivity, and normal-oily combination skin that can get very greasy in the T-zone. I was fairly convinced that BHA was needed to clear out my clogged pores, and have been trying all the PC BHA exfoliants to find the right one for me. While I was ordering samples, I figured I would also try the AHAs to see what they were about.

To my surprise and delight, AHA seems to be very effective on my skin! I have already tried (and wrote positive reviews for) the 8% and 10% AHA treatments. Over the last couple of days, I have tried Resist 5% Daily AHA, and like it very much as well.

Resist 5% AHA has a pearly-brownish color with an inoffensive natural scent that reminds me of B-vitamin complex. The product spreads very easily, soaks in quickly and is non-irritating. The scent dissipates right away. It doesn't leave me greasy at all. It does dry a little bit sticky in some areas, but any lingering stickiness completely goes away if other non-sticky products (eg serum) are subsequently applied. Since it is a lower concentration, I didn't get the dramatic overnight effects I saw with the 8% and 10% products. However, Resist 5% AHA is gentle enough to be used daily, and I did see noticeable improvement in my skin texture after 2 days of using it 1x per day.

Although AHA seems to be marketed towards those with dryer skin, it might be just the thing that is needed for rough patches that don't seem to respond otherwise, even if you have oily skin. It is great that PC offers samples--I probably would have overlooked this great product otherwise! I definitely would consider a full purchase of this product.

To Read all 69 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/10/2016 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is probably my biggest HG product. I have found nothing like it, and believe me I have tried (like when PC inexplicably is out of stock for weeks at a time). It is a light, silky (but not occlusive and silicony) concentrated lotion (so a little goes a long way) that leaves my skin glowing, even-toned, and a bit firmer. When I go without it I see significant worsening of my skin--it looks duller, fine lines are more apparent, and it has less elasticity (e.g., when I smile, my nasolabial folds are more apparent). So I think it is a superb all-around anti-aging product with numerous benefits. I have tried replacing it with products that have glycolic acid as the main ingredient, but they never work the same, so I believe what Paula claims about all the other beneficial ingredients in the product (e.g., antioxidants). The container is well designed so that it dispenses in a controlled manner. I guess the only negatives are that you can't tell when you're about to run out, and it is not cheap. But it is truly worth the cost.

on 2/20/2016 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am almost 66, i used to have combo skin but now it's dry, and i have rosacea on my cheeks, nose, and chin. So i use an BHA exfoliant on the areas with rosacea and on my neck, décolletage.

I use this on the dry areas of my face with dark spots. I apply with my fingers to the dry areas of my face. I use this AHA morning and night. It works well, doesn't irritate my skin, and helps my dry skin feel softer and smoother. If i use too much it can feel tacky, so i recommend not slathering it on. I just use a partial pump and spread it around well. And I avoid areas with rosacea because they are a bit sensitive.

The texture is like a thin lotion, it is slightly rose-beige in color, but blends invisibly into my pale skin. It has an odor from its skin care ingredients, but no added fragrance ingredients, which is one reason i really like Paula’s products - many do have odors from their ingredients, but none have perfumes, and i hate the scent of perfumed products and perfumes are skin-irritating, and i sure don’t need more irritation.

The pump generally works well and helps protect the product from the air, but does leave a few day's worth of product in the bottle, so i unscrew the cap to get the last little bit out.

While i use several other skin care products, at night i end my routine with a light moisturizer and during the day with an all-mineral SPF 50 sunscreen because my rosacea has made the skin on my cheeks and nose rather transparent.

After trying several drugstore brands and far too many crazy expensive high-end brands, I now use primarily Paula's Choice skin care products, and I'm very happy with most of them. The prices are mostly quite reasonable, there are frequent discount offers, and for me, in California, i get my package within 2 or 3 days.

AHA’s exfoliate and help attract moisture, so they are good for dry skin. Some people with combo skin may like it too, but everyone’s skin is a little different, so if you’re wondering about this, try a sample first. People with oily skin or frequent breakouts may find a BHA exfoliant with salicylic acid more effective.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Nice face cream, doesn't leave sticky residue, noticed improvement in skin texture (less dry, roughness, stiffness, tightness improved) after about a week of use. Would buy again, but for now I switched to the gel one with 8% AHA.

(Putting this here because it took me a while to figure out. According to the Paula's Choice website the difference between AHA and BHA exfoliants are:
AHA is recommended for sun damaged and dry skin. Helps with moisturizing.
BHA is recommended for oily skin, acne problems etc, rosacea. Recommended for sensitive and red skin because of anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
You can use both, for example one in the morning, one at night! <3 )

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Another Paula's Choice product I wanted to like, another product that did not agree with my skin at all. Like the serum, I initially liked this. I'd been wanting to add an exfoliant to my skincare routine, and I liked how clearly PC explains why and how this product was formulated. The price was right.

Like the serum, it makes me breakout. After my skin cleared up after the eruptions caused by the PC product, I tried this on part of my face. I broke out again. I also tried it on my neck-- thinking I could save the more expensive exfoliant I eventually bought-- but I started getting zits there, too. Ewwwwww.

I'm binning this.

on 6/16/2015 5:57:00 AM

I was so excited to try this product after reading some great reviews. I've used the Peter Thomas Roth 10% aha cream for a few years and while generally happy with it wanted some more oomph. Well I got that plus a whole lot more. I should preface this by saying I do not have more than the occasional very small pimple once or twice a year. After first night my skin didn't really look different. I had decided to use this at night only as I'm happy with my day routine. Second night and I woke up the next morning with two zits. By the end of the week I had about 10 welts all over my cheeks, dry spots, oily and smaller pimples on my chin. I kept applying for one more week until I finally realized this is not a phase I'm actually developing cystic acne. So I backed off. About 2 weeks later I though I'd give it another go. This time only 1-2 times a week. Seems to have settled down. Skin is smooth and soft, but small imperfection, whiteheads and scars from the previous bout persist. I'll use this until the product is finished but I will not repurchase. I have actually never in 35 years had a reaction like this to a product.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Love this product, I've been using it for years now, and whenever I go off it for some reason I notice a difference in my skin (for the worse). I have very fair, sensitive skin that reacts poorly to lots of things, but seems to be just fine with this product (I use it with a PC gentle cleanser and a serum, both also work well for me). This is a HG for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was not expecting to like this as much as I do. I was thinking it was going to be like the old PC AHA gel but this is like that one's grown up sister. It has ceramides, BHA and other great ingredients to go along with the AHA and is a creamy emulsion not a gel. I have been using it every night and my skin looks brighter and more even. I do have some flaking around my chin but no breakouts and my rosacea has not flared. (So important). I also bought the weekly version to see what my results will be from that.

on 4/27/2015 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using Paula's Choice products for about 2 months and have seen a very significant difference in my skin. The major difference is the way my skin glows and the way makeup enhances that instead of covering and/or making me look worse because of the bad texture of my skin. I have extremely dry AND dehydrated skin. This exfoliates my skin effectively, removing all the flaking and dullness. My skin has taken on a glow since I started using this and the RESIST Weekly Resurfacing Treatment. You get a lot product, the packaging is effective and the price is reasonable.