L.A. Colors Lash Building Mascara

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/7/2016 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This review is for the Lash Building mascara, not the HD Waterproof, as I noticed someone has posted on here as well. I'm also not reviewing the small dollar store tube. This review is for the full, normal size tube. The Lash Building mascara is supposed to be water resistant and smudge & smear proof. I have a real obsession with L.A. Colors eye products lately, since I discovered how great their liquid liner is. I thought I'd try this mascara, also. It was two dollars, so not a splurge.

I wanted to see just how water-resistant it was. I put it on my clean, dry lashes and waited a few minutes for it to fully dry. Then, I ran the tap and splashed water in my eyes, a few times in each eye. Result: A little bit of "run-off" underneath my eyes, but definitely not a great, noticeable amount. However, when I ran my finger along my wet lashes, some of the product came off on my finger. Conclusion: It washes off easily and it is not waterproof. I will say that it is water resistant, since a few tears or some raindrops won't cause this product to run at all. Not a full-on beach or swim mascara, however.

Application: This mascara has a very full brush. It is somewhat wide, so apply carefully. I do like it though. It really coats each lash well with no clumps and I found that the volume built up fairly nicely on each lash. I was quite amazed how well it did this, actually, but then I'm used to using 'thinner' mascaras (which also tend to be waterproof) and I'm not a fan of the spiky eyelash look, so I thought my lashes looked fuller and longer, but not "fake." I also thought it curled my lashes a bit. There was enough of the product on the brush, not dry at all, as some have mentioned in their review.

Wear: I wore it for a full day and didn't notice any smearing or black shadows underneath my eyes. When I rubbed my eye, a little bit of the product came off and there was some smearing, but again nothing super noticeable and raccoon-like, as you can get with some much more expensive mascaras out there.

My conclusion is that I'm pretty impressed with this. I think it rivals some major drugstore brands out there and for the price this is pretty unbeatable. If you want a dramatic, false eyelash look, this is probably not for you, but if you're just looking for a normal, everyday long-wear look, this is pretty good! I give it 4 out 5 stars.

I recently bought Maybelline's Megaplush mascara hoping to find a reasonable dupe for Smashbox's Full Exposure mascara. Sadly the Megaplush did not hold a candle to Smashbox. I was very disappointed when I went to Dollar General to see what they had for waterproof mascara's as this was my only problem with the Full Exposure mascara, besides the price of course. I wasn't expecting much when I picked up this prettily packaged tube of mascara from L.A. Colors. THIS IS MY HG MASCARA. This is not a dupe for Full Exposure, in fact, I believe that the H.D. Waterproof mascara is way better than the Full Exposure and for $3 +tax, I will ALWAYS repurchase this.

To Read all 19 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/24/2016 7:43:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

So I've been perusing cheaper cosmetics these days because food is more important to me than mascara. But I came across this at Dollar Tree and figured why not? I've been known to buy a lot of mascaras and find that they don't work for me either the formula or the brush. I've always had to buy waterproof mascara because my eyelids are so oily but they've always been so difficult to take off.
I bought this not expecting much but i had it on from about 12 pm to 8 pm and in the rain outside without it running and smearing all over my face! I'm totally impressed with that fact but it was the same to take off as waterproof mascara, which I didn't realize this was. It doesn't give you knock out long or voluminous lashes but more of a natural look which is work appropriate.
Would definitely repurchase because of the price, if i replaced this every 3 months, it would still equal the same amount as one of the drug store mascaras.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Ok, this mascara exceeded my expectations immensely!!!!

I have really oily skin and as a result my eyelids and under eye area are hugely problematic for me when it comes to mascara. The only mascara I have been able to rely on to a large extent is Max Factor 2000 calorie mascara; I have tried many (Benefit They're Real, MAC, Loreal, Maybelline and Rimmel ones), and they all left unsightly smudges around my eyes after barely an hour.
I picked this one up for under £2 and thought I'd give it a try since it was so cheap and I quite like LA Colors as a brand- they do some great stuff.
First things first- if you are looking for dramatic, eye popping, flared lashes, this is not for you. If, however, you have naturally thick and long lashes like myself, this is the perfect mascara for a natural, enhanced look. By that I mean evenly coated lashes, no clumps, and a decent amount of volume.
I wore it for an entire day, went on a long power walk, spent the day doing my usual stuff and IT DID NOT SMUDGE AT ALL. I was so pleasantly surprised, and absolutely thrilled that I did not end up looking like a deranged raccoon after the long day I'd had. I will definitely stock up on this and use it as a day-to-day mascara because it is absolutely wonderful.
The packaging is compact and great, the brush is on the thick side but it works perfectly fine. Very happy that it did not smudge which was all I was looking for anyway, and really cheap so no complaints from me. 5 lipsticks well deserved.

on 6/11/2015 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

This is my HG mascara. I got it at K-mart with low expectations, and it has blown me away! It adds volume and length in a very natural-looking way. No clumping and it doesn't look like I'm wearing mascara! My only complaint is that the formula seems a bit dry and you have to dip the brush in multiple times for each eye to get enough product.

I have spent way too much in Sephora and Ulta with the OH SO WRONG mindset that the more expensive products are automatically better. Grabbed this mascara for $1 at a Family Dollar near my bfs house and I love it. It is the ONLY mascara I've ever used that doesn't leave me with raccoon eyes in a matter of hours....even when I accidentally rub my eyes or find myself in hot weather or sweating a bit. It's a nice natural look and now I wear it daily to work because I wont walk out of the office looking like Bucky Barnes from Winter Soldier. If you have the raccoon eye issue, grab one of these. If you still don't like it, it was only like $1 anyway!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I reside in Ontario, Canada, so after all taxes (as there are many in this Province), it came out to only $3.38. So dirt cheap. I've put on sooo many coats and it did not volumize that much, but does provide a natural look and makes my lashes feel nice and light and not weighed down. I do love the packaging and that the tube takes away all of the excess gunk as it is sooo narrow where the brush actually comes out, the brush in itself I really like and may keep after the mascara is done to use on my other (4) mascaras. I don't think I ll re purchase, but for the price, I certainly did not waste any money. It's a little dry, but was well packaged at the store in plastic, so I know it was not sitting out bare as some dollar store mascaras are. I really, really hope it does NOT make my lashes FALL OUT though. Sometimes in the past, cheaper mascaras have done that, so if anyone finds that they lose lashes when taking it off, or just in general, please post! Thanks.

on 7/17/2013 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm a teenager so I'm on a budget. I love looking at the dollar store because you never know what you're going to find. I LOVE this mascara because it really lengthens and it adds a tiny bit of thickness. This is perfect for school because it makes your lashed look so good but it doesn't look like it's a ton of mascara. I have used this for a year and I will definitely keep using it!

on 4/8/2013 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This mascara was the biggest bargain ever! The package came with a pencil eyeliner and a good quality sharpener for only $2! The mascara makes the lashes look fuller and longer. It doesn't clump at all and it lasts a pretty good while. I would definitely buy this again

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

WHAT A BARGAIN!!!!

This mascara is no more than $2 and it makes my lashes so glamorous!!

I guess I have an advantage though: my lashes are naturally long, to the point where I'm constantly asked if I'm wearing falsies.

Unfortunately they grow very funky........the lashes towards the end are halfway curled and the middle are straight down while the shortest lashes have a weak curl. And they're thin.

This mascara holds my curl and makes my lashes thick!!!!

The packaging is very basic and not flashy or anything so I like~

The brush might hold a problem to people because its very thick and a little hard to manuver but for my funky lashes, it was pretty easy!

LOVE IT~!