3.9

package quality

price range

Reviews

8 months ago

Tom Ford can do no wrong in my world! I purchased both Black Orchid & the slightly more floral Velvet Orchid during fragrance week and I cannot stop wearing them. Black Orchid is very top heavy and earthy. It reminds me of a lush tropical garden somewhere exotic. It's not a fragrance for every woman, as some may find it a bit overpowering. But I think it wears like a dream with my natural body chemistry. I really really want to give this scent 5 stars but I'm taking off a star because of the lack of longevity. I applied this fragrance at 7:55AM before I left for work, and by 10:00am I couldn't smell a thing. Really a disappointment because I love the scent so much. I now have to contend with carrying it around so I can re-apply. Luckily it's a sleek bottle so it fits easily in my purse. Overall I still love it, I just wish it lasted longer.

About reviewer (4 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

HairSilver

EyesHazel

from

a year ago

Being an Angel Thierry Miglers lover, I was looking for an Angels alter ego. Black Orchid has nothing similar to Angel when you smell it, but has a similar personality. An also hard no woman-no man scent, a taste of rainy woods in winter. Spray twice and smells all day. Gives me the feeling of wet tree, grass, mushrooms and oak whit a deep mysterious underground from the center of Earth. Dont try it if you like flower scents. Its too hard, too eerie, and you must have a certain personality to support this elf scent. Men usualy dont aprove it, finding it alien. Well as I noticed there is no man who rides a big motorcycle, who dives meters under water, and all risk taking males who dont fell in love when they smell it on a female neck. Thats experience!

About reviewer (13 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Tan, Warm

HairBlack, Wavy, Coarse

EyesBlack

a year ago

Isn't it crazy how taste and perspective change over time? My friend gave me a vial sample back in 2014. I wore it, and absolutely hated it! I thought it was screechy, jagged and gross. I couldn't believe people would want to smell like that. I threw it out. Then just yesterday I got a sample from Sephora. I tried it again, and holy cow! It smells beautiful. Since 2014 I've started to collect many old-school, dark oriental spicy scents. I really dig that genre. So my nose has gotten accustomed to dense, heavy notes. So Black Orchid is definitely on its way into my collection. The opening notes are quite spicy, then it warms up into a dark floral mixed with vanilla, amber and woods. It's hard to distinguish notes, as it's so well-blended. The longevity is crazy, it lasts forever! I just can't believe how much of a 180 my nose has done! Looking forward to own a full bottle! Now I've learned if I don't instantly gravitate towards a perfume, or even if I hate it, try it again in four years.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

EyesGreen

a year ago

This is definitely a strong perfume! I save it for date nights with my fiancé because it's much too strong to wear to work. After it dries down a bit, it's actually well-balanced between spice, woods, musk, and a bit of powder. I like spraying just a tiny bit on my wrist and then rubbing onto pulse points, and then start doing makeup/hair so it has a chance to fade. Overall I really like it and I feel it's analagous to a bold lip color - very sexy and makes a statement when done right.

About reviewer (101 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Curly, Medium

2 years ago

Now that BBW Black Amethyst has been discontinued and DKNY Black Cashmere has long been discontinued, Black Orchid is my go to spicy, incense fragrance. Of course, it's outrageously expensive to buy in department stores, but between online perfume outlets with extra discount coupons and eBay, I'm able to get my dark incense fragrance fix.

About reviewer (23 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

2 years ago

Masculine and strong. I'd rather save $ and buy a Victoria's Secret fragrance mist.

About reviewer (308 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

2 years ago

I first tried the edp of this years ago and loathed it for being too strong, too spicy, too sweet, just too too too much! Fast forward several years and I received a sample off the edt. Different animal altogether. Yes it is still a full bodied oriental but the edt is sooooo much more refined. I get lovely ylang ylang over nutmeg, sandalwood and musk with a delicate coconut vibe (no harsh suntan lotions here). I can smell it the next day on my scent devouring skin. Very elegant, mature and feminine. It also smells like the ingredients are top drawer. No chemical cucumber aquatic twangs that literally make me hurl. This is not for those who wear dilute generic body spray fragrances. It’s for a mature woman who knows who she is and doesn’t care if someone is offended by discreetly worn beautiful perfume. Born to be a classic like Shalimar, Mitsouko, No. 5, Bandit, Fracas .......you get my drift. Closest approximation would be if Angel, Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russia commingled and created an offspring. Pretty good lineage to my mind!

About reviewer (216 reviews)

SkinVery Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

2 years ago

Oh my goodness. I tried to like it, I did, but this fragrance is simply trying too hard. I can see a very bold, very vampish woman using this and pulling it off, but let's be real most of us aren't her. It's only wearable if you're dressed to look congruent with what this fragrance throws. Far too masculine for my taste. I powered through the opening notes (very spicy, heady floral). I sniffed for chocolate, and I'm one of those who can't pick it up. I read another reviewer say she sniffed desperately for chocolate and smelled nothing but dog crap. Alas, me too, and soon I felt ill as it was the only thing I could smell. Total scrubber for me. Please don't blind buy, this is a very powerful fragrance that can only be pulled off by special people. This was the signature of Michael Jackson, so let that speak for itself as to what type of personality, presence, and IDGAF you need.

About reviewer (54 reviews)

SkinVery Dry, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

2.0

2 years ago

The smell was nice, but a little to musky and heavy for me.

About reviewer (17 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

HairRed

2 years ago

Awful. Just awful. Very strong and overpowering. Gave me a horrible headache within minutes of putting this on. There was no change in the scent from the initial spray to the drydown. It smelled the same. There was no other notes here but strong stinky florals. This smells like a cheap drugstore fragrance. This is way over priced for the cheap scent it has. If you are sensitive to strong scents, stay far away from this one. If this didn't have Tom Ford's name on it, and it was a cheap drugstore perfume from Walgreen's with the same exact scent, everyone would be bashing it. This smells very cheap, like a $1.00 scent at The Dollar Tree. This has got to be one of the strongest, worst smelling perfumes I've ever had the dishonor of smelling.

About reviewer (141 reviews)

Age44-55