Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies in Black Drama

Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies in Black Drama

3.4

on 6/5/2016 4:30:00 PM

Didn't do anything special. The packaging is a nice purple color, but otherwise nothing spectacular. There are other better mascaras in a similar price point.

I'm so sad to see the low ratings here. This mascara is amazing and easily rivals my all time favorite lancome Hypnos mascara. I naturally have long medium lashes that need an extra "oomph." This deliveries. My eyes also naturally water a lot, but I have had no problems with this mascara (it's not waterproof!). I will buy it again every time except for the occasional splurge of Lancome. :)

To Read all 400 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Before I give my review, I should say I've used a decent amount of Maybelline mascaras (at least 5) and even more mascaras in general. I give this mascara a 2.5/5 and this is why:

Volume - 5/5. This mascara does give you a lot of volume. Lashes in general seem a lot more thick and dark. My lashes are medium length but very thin, and it is definitely noticeable when I am wearing this.

Length - 2/5. Granted, this mascara doesn't promise extremely long lashes but regardless, it doesn't too too much for length. If you're looking to elongate your lashes, you're better off trying a different mascara.

Lash definition - 3/5. It is possible to spread the mascara throughout your lashes but it is very difficult. It's very easy to have your lashes clump together if you're not careful, and that is mostly due to the design of the brush and the packaging, since so much product can get stuck in the curl of the wand. To maintain those separated lashes, you have to wipe off excess product, move the brush back and forth while rotating the brush as well, and maybe go in with a lash comb for even more definition.

Curl hold - 1/5. The formula seems too heavy to hold any curl you might have previously prepared on your lashes with an eyelash curler. In my experience, after curling my lashes and applying this mascara, the curl would hold for 2 hours at most. After that, it begins to fall.

Overall look - If you're trying to achieve that natural look, 3/5. Even though it is somewhat obvious that you're wearing mascara, it is not so much that it looks completely fake. However, if you are looking to use this for a dramatic look, it's not at all easy to build up your lashes by applying more than one or two coats. Past two, your lashes start to clump up.

Staying power - 1/5. This mascara doesn't flake, but it smudges ALOT. After using it for about two months, I realized that even just applying it to my top lashes causes it to smudge very darkly on my under eye area, so I learned not to even try applying it to my bottom lashes. It is not waterproof, nor does it promise to be, so be wary about wearing this without having a makeup remover or cotton swab handy to clean up any mess that might occur during the day.

Ease of removal - 1/5. This does not come off. And not in the good way. Generally, my routine is to use a makeup removing liquid with a cotton pad on my eye area, and then to use a makeup removing wipe to handle my entire face, and finally to wash my face with a cleanser. After doing all three, I still find remnants of the mascara sticking on and it is makes it such a hassle to remove.

Overall, my experience with this mascara wasn't exactly the most terrible, but I would not purchase it again. I heard a lot of good things about this product but it has to be one of the more disappointing Maybelline mascaras that I've tried. You're better off using your money for another product.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Like! Feels it thickens my lashes well. Used the regular waterproof Falsies which I liked just fine originally. Figured I would try this one since wanted a thicker look and it was time for more mascara. I was afraid. Why tinker with what is not broken?
Hard to say which is better but I am liking this just fine. Comes off easy with olive oil. Does not flake. Brush is fine....flimsy but works fine. Can get on sale for $5. What's to argue?

I like a thick heavy mascara. This works. Ad it ages, thickens a bit, which is nice also. The origional Falsies maybe had my lashes not look as thick?

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The packaging is OKAY-- nothing too special about it. The logo can get easily scratched off and so can the writing on it. The wand is VERY FLIMSY which makes it uncomfortable to apply. The applicator is so nasty. Its like a cheap broken Christmas tree. Also, it doesn't really apply smoothly. Its extremely clumpy and thick, but very inconsistent. Its inconsistent because sometimes it does apply well and sometimes it doesn't. I don't recommend it. If you want a cheap mascara from Maybelline, I recommend "The Colossal Volum' Express in Waterproof."

on 1/5/2016 8:15:00 AM

I really like the packaging and the applicator for this mascara but it is horribly clumpy and the dried mascara flakes off throughout the day. Not a good look!

on 11/15/2015 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I'm shocked at the bad reviews. This is hands down one of the best mascaras ever! I've been using it for yeaarrss. Even when I try other mascaras I always always come back to this. It lengthens my lashes, its nice and black, it also adds volume.I don't find that it flakes. Like all mascaras, you have to give it a few weeks to really get good because in the beginning its wet and can get clumpy sometimes. I have repurchased many times and see myself repurchasing many many more. Definitely a must try! luv this!

on 10/8/2015 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This mascara is too much work for the look you get. What I mean by that is that I think it clumped my lashes together horribly initially. I needed to actually separate my lashes with something other than the wand for them to look okay. Usually a dry mascara is my nightmare, but this one was on the other end of the spectrum. The lashes are completely drenched in mascara and when you try to de-clump your lashes you inevitably add even more to them. I've used this (waterproof version) for a few evenings out, but I'd never ever have the patience (or the time!) to make my lashes look good with this mascara on a daily basis.

It's an alright mascara. It's one of those mascaras that is better a month or so after opening it so the product can dry out a little more. I had previously been using the covergirl lashblast volume, and I love that formula, but I love this brush better. I like the spoon brush and how it lifts and curls my lashes, and it's ok with volumizing too. I've had this for a few months now and lately I've noticed deterioration in quality. I don't think I could use this for a special occasion though. I'm not disappointed, but I don't think I'll be buying this again

I bought this mascara for everyday use at the university. All I wanted was for it to not smudge under my eyes and to make my eyelashes look full and black. I cant say it didnt do those things but for me its nothing special. It is very black and the wand gave me length but not so much volume. it smudged after 5 hours but for me only the lancome hypnose drama does not smudge even after 10 hours wear but it is at a totally different level! Overall it is a nice mascara last quite a while (5-6 months with everyday use) and does not cost much. I will probably repurchase at some point but I would like to try other mascaras for the time being.