Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies in Black Drama

Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies in Black Drama

3.4

on 7/17/2017 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

AVERAGE – I have tried numerous Maybelline mascaras and have never found one that meets all my expectations. My biggest issues have always been smearing and the pigment intensity with Maybelline. I wanted to try this one in Black Drama since Beautypedia gave this mascara their highest rating. I only use this on my top lashes but I find this to be very average at best. The black drama formula doesn’t seem to be any different than any other mascara and I don’t find it more intense in color. It’s just a typical black mascara. The spoon wand is slightly curved and I didn’t have any issues other than I prefer a straight wand. It’s okay but didn’t look anything like false eyelashes with more drama. With a coupon I paid $3 for this in my grocery store.

on 7/11/2017 7:41:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am so picky when it comes to mascaras and have tried so many different ones. I love only a few, and this is one of them and it's my current favourite. I bought it on a whim as there was a sale on that I couldn't resist. It was less than 7 euro, which I think is a brilliant price. I normally pay 30 euro for my Estée Lauder mascara, so 7 is very cheap. I have tried mascaras from this brand before but I haven't been very impressed by them. This one is amazing though and makes my lashes absolutely beautiful; they become very long and feathered. In addition to that, the mascara never clumps, it's very black and, I cannot emphasise this enough, it hardly flakes at all. All, and I mean all, mascaras flake on me, but this one only flakes the tiniest bit (maybe one little flake at the end of a very long day). I am so extremely impressed by that. And, no raccoon eyes ever. I add two layers of mascara and I find that plenty. The brush is easy to use and it catches all of my lashes. When I apply mascara to my lower lashes, I simply turn the brush around and use the rounded part. It works really well. I've used this mascara for a month or so and if it keeps performing this well, I've found my HG.

on 6/5/2016 4:30:00 PM

Didn't do anything special. The packaging is a nice purple color, but otherwise nothing spectacular. There are other better mascaras in a similar price point.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

In my resolution to save more money, I've decided to re-visit drugstore mascaras instead of plunking down $35 CAD every 2-3 months for Bobbi Brown's smokey lash mascara, which I still love but that price tag!
There's a drugstore very close to where I live that's clearing out excess stock of Maybelline mascaras so I nabbed a few of the Volum' Express ones, including The Falsies in Black Drama.

I do like this mascara for its rich, black pigment and the way it lengthens my lashes. I should add that I use a lash primer which helps. (I rotate between Lancome Cils Booster and L'Oreal Voluminous primer)
Despite the name, this mascara is more of lengthening mascara vs. volumizing.
The brush does take a bit of getting used to but it's not a big learning curve.

I like how this mascara keeps the curls in place (I tend to really curl my lashes with my Shiseido lash curler) and I do layer it with Clinique's Lash Power mascara (tubing formula) for staying power. (most mascaras tend to smudge on me and I can't use waterproof formulas)
Removal is straightforward with warm water and my regular eye makeup remover.

Overall, a good mascara that meets my requirements for the most part.

I'm so sad to see the low ratings here. This mascara is amazing and easily rivals my all time favorite lancome Hypnos mascara. I naturally have long medium lashes that need an extra "oomph." This deliveries. My eyes also naturally water a lot, but I have had no problems with this mascara (it's not waterproof!). I will buy it again every time except for the occasional splurge of Lancome. :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Before I give my review, I should say I've used a decent amount of Maybelline mascaras (at least 5) and even more mascaras in general. I give this mascara a 2.5/5 and this is why:

Volume - 5/5. This mascara does give you a lot of volume. Lashes in general seem a lot more thick and dark. My lashes are medium length but very thin, and it is definitely noticeable when I am wearing this.

Length - 2/5. Granted, this mascara doesn't promise extremely long lashes but regardless, it doesn't too too much for length. If you're looking to elongate your lashes, you're better off trying a different mascara.

Lash definition - 3/5. It is possible to spread the mascara throughout your lashes but it is very difficult. It's very easy to have your lashes clump together if you're not careful, and that is mostly due to the design of the brush and the packaging, since so much product can get stuck in the curl of the wand. To maintain those separated lashes, you have to wipe off excess product, move the brush back and forth while rotating the brush as well, and maybe go in with a lash comb for even more definition.

Curl hold - 1/5. The formula seems too heavy to hold any curl you might have previously prepared on your lashes with an eyelash curler. In my experience, after curling my lashes and applying this mascara, the curl would hold for 2 hours at most. After that, it begins to fall.

Overall look - If you're trying to achieve that natural look, 3/5. Even though it is somewhat obvious that you're wearing mascara, it is not so much that it looks completely fake. However, if you are looking to use this for a dramatic look, it's not at all easy to build up your lashes by applying more than one or two coats. Past two, your lashes start to clump up.

Staying power - 1/5. This mascara doesn't flake, but it smudges ALOT. After using it for about two months, I realized that even just applying it to my top lashes causes it to smudge very darkly on my under eye area, so I learned not to even try applying it to my bottom lashes. It is not waterproof, nor does it promise to be, so be wary about wearing this without having a makeup remover or cotton swab handy to clean up any mess that might occur during the day.

Ease of removal - 1/5. This does not come off. And not in the good way. Generally, my routine is to use a makeup removing liquid with a cotton pad on my eye area, and then to use a makeup removing wipe to handle my entire face, and finally to wash my face with a cleanser. After doing all three, I still find remnants of the mascara sticking on and it is makes it such a hassle to remove.

Overall, my experience with this mascara wasn't exactly the most terrible, but I would not purchase it again. I heard a lot of good things about this product but it has to be one of the more disappointing Maybelline mascaras that I've tried. You're better off using your money for another product.

on 1/5/2016 8:15:00 AM

I really like the packaging and the applicator for this mascara but it is horribly clumpy and the dried mascara flakes off throughout the day. Not a good look!

on 11/15/2015 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I'm shocked at the bad reviews. This is hands down one of the best mascaras ever! I've been using it for yeaarrss. Even when I try other mascaras I always always come back to this. It lengthens my lashes, its nice and black, it also adds volume.I don't find that it flakes. Like all mascaras, you have to give it a few weeks to really get good because in the beginning its wet and can get clumpy sometimes. I have repurchased many times and see myself repurchasing many many more. Definitely a must try! luv this!

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Like! Feels it thickens my lashes well. Used the regular waterproof Falsies which I liked just fine originally. Figured I would try this one since wanted a thicker look and it was time for more mascara. I was afraid. Why tinker with what is not broken?
Hard to say which is better but I am liking this just fine. Comes off easy with olive oil. Does not flake. Brush is fine....flimsy but works fine. Can get on sale for $5. What's to argue?

I like a thick heavy mascara. This works. Ad it ages, thickens a bit, which is nice also. The origional Falsies maybe had my lashes not look as thick?

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The packaging is OKAY-- nothing too special about it. The logo can get easily scratched off and so can the writing on it. The wand is VERY FLIMSY which makes it uncomfortable to apply. The applicator is so nasty. Its like a cheap broken Christmas tree. Also, it doesn't really apply smoothly. Its extremely clumpy and thick, but very inconsistent. Its inconsistent because sometimes it does apply well and sometimes it doesn't. I don't recommend it. If you want a cheap mascara from Maybelline, I recommend "The Colossal Volum' Express in Waterproof."