3.4

package quality

price range

Reviews

7 years ago

As a deep conditioner, this product is amazing. I have very thick, curly, frizz-prone hair and this tames it and makes it smooth and shiny. It's expensive - but - you don't need a lot of product and only need to use it once or twice a month (or maybe once a week for very very damaged hair). When I'm using this conditioner (usually only in the cold months), I also use the Complexe 5 oil pre-wash, and the Karite shampoo and the whole thing together makes a huge impact. Gold standard products. The only other comparable products I've used are Kerastase.

About reviewer (104 reviews)

SkinDry, Olive, Warm

HairBrown, Curly, Coarse

7 years ago

I've been using this for years. Only use 2-3 times per month on my fine, colored hair. It is by far the best hair conditioner I have ever used.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

11 years ago

Let me start off by saying I'm a hair stylist (colorist, to be exact), so I'm a total "product snob" about hair products. I have curly hair that I shampoo (yes, I know we're not supposed to, but I can't stand having dirty hair) every day, and blow dry smooth (but don't flat iron) every day. Being that I do this for a living, and have constant access and inspiration to constantly change my hair color, my hair is a *bit* overstressed (i.e., fried, dried, and petrified). Karite is my go-to for all my conditioning needs. It is NOT to be used daily, but as a treatment. Usually once a week or every two weeks. The manufacturer recommends about 15 minutes, but I prefer to sleep in it. I wake up, rinse, blow dry, and literally have the softest, shiniest, smoothest hair on the planet. I have been stopped on the street and complimented on how shiny and amazing my hair is. I was definitely graced with great hair, I'm not going to lie, but with everything it's been through (dark brown, red, blonde, red, brown, and going back blonde again, in less than 2 years), Karite has managed to help me maintain my long locks. As far as the smell, I love it. It makes me think of nutmeg. My boyfriend, on the other hand, says it smells like Bengay to him, but he'll put up with it if he can run his hands through my hair and not get it caught in snarls. It is expensive, but it should be used sparingly, and as a treatment. One tub usually lasts me about 6 months, depending on how mean I've been to my hair. Oh, and it's technically organic. As are all Rene Furterer products. They don't label them organic because they have preservatives in them; without which you would have to refrigerate your hair products. Not for people with fine hair, it will weigh it down, this is an INTENSE repairing, moisturizing conditioner.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinDry, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

EyesBlue

1.0

11 years ago

This did not moisturize my hair at all. I gave so much money for it and nothing. Nice smell. It has a little things in it like a scrub, but they are really easy to rinse off. I have use this a long time, but that did not help my hair a bit!

About reviewer (22 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinDry, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlack, Other, Other

3.0

11 years ago

I love love this product!!!! I have tried many masks and treatments and this one is the best. You only have to use a little bit, My hair is to the middle of my back, thick, wavy, dry and damaged and I use alittle more than a quarter size. It makes my hair silky,shiny, so soft, healthy looking. Update 3-19-09- this seemed to work remarkably in the beginning then did nothing for me after awhile, even if I used a detox shampoo and used this, also it seemed like when I was combing my hair with it in, I lost more hair then normal when I combed? Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I stopped using it.

About reviewer (57 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

EyesHazel

1.0

11 years ago

This product didn't HURT my hair, but was only mildly conditioning. I've used drugstore conditioners that were better than this. I also felt like it did something to my highlights a little bit... like made them slightly lighter (yikes). In the end this is definitely not worth the money (it's expensive!) because in addition to this the smell was horrible. Kind of a patchouili/medicinal smell which remained on my hair all through the following day. Once I use this up I won't re-purchase.

About reviewer (116 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBrunette

EyesBlue

12 years ago

The last time I was at Sephora, I was debating between this and the Oscar Blandi mud masque... However, because of the price difference ($20 for Oscar vs $42 for this one), I decided to buy the Oscar and just get a sample of the Karite. It has left my hair very soft, shiny, and manageable... Granted, my hair is shiny and manageable anyway, because I got the Japanese straight perm. Mainly, I was looking for something that would help nourish and condition my hair against breakage. So far, I am pleased with this product and feel that it is slightly richer than the Oscar Blandi. My only complaint is the smell... It is somewhat medicinal and gross, and as other reviewers noted, it stays in your hair till the next wash. Well, if it's effective, I can forgive that.

About reviewer (908 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlack

3.0

12 years ago

I have a love-hate relationship with it, it works great on my hair but I really cannot stand the scent. it is way too overwhelming in a bad "natural" way. I bought it in a pump-form and a dime-size amount at a time will do. It is a gift from my boyfriend and my mom is using it. She likes it. It is pricey, like most French hair products which do not really work on me.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination

HairBlack

EyesBlack

12 years ago

worked great. i left it in overnight. i just tend to do that w/ everything. why is it sooo pricey? I have a curly fro with terrible dryness from heat damage. no relaxer. great no protein treatment. works better than phyto's stuff.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

Age

SkinNormal

HairBrown

12 years ago

Very nourishing conditioner which leaves hair soft with lots of shine. This conditioner repairs damage and it great for use in summer as it doe not have a very strong odor. Will definately keep buying this.

About reviewer (546 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Dark, Warm