Sleek Sunset palette

Sunset palette

4.5

on 2/27/2017 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I own three iDivine palettes: Bad Girl, All Night Long, and Sunset. I've written a general review of them over in the iDivine eyeshadow palette category, so you can click on there for more generalised info; and two reviews for the other two palettes. This is my last review for Sunset.

First things first, this palette is, in my opinion, quite dishonestly marketed. The shades in the photos on Sleek's site, from where I ordered it, look much darker than they actually are in real life. Take a look at the photo I uploaded and at Sleek's official photos. The difference is noticeable, to the point where if I saw the palette in real life, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Secondly, the shadows in this just aren't good. The metallics are v. crumbly, the shimmers are packed full of glitter that ends up everywhere. The one really good shadow in the palette is the matte black, which doesn't save the day for me, since I already had an excellent pure black shadow before buying this. All other shadows are not easy to work with; a very liquidy, sticky primer is necessary, and you'll need to wet your brush to get any actual punch from them. There's a ton of fallout, the metallics are prone to downright flaking everywhere, and there's more fallout during the day while you're wearing them. They won't crease for about 8 hours, which is average with drugstore shadows, I think.

Thirdly, the colours themselves and the composition of the palette is just off. I've uploaded a photo of the swatches of the five reddish/bronze shades (without the black) on the left side of the palette; as you can see, the three reds are a) not really red, but more like a muted raspberry and two bronzes, and b) virtually identical. On the eye, they look the same. The metallic brown is nice and distinctive, but the three 'reds' are just very vague. The darker orange is also nice. The right side of the palette is totally ridiculous, though. The bright orange is powdery and so bright it's unwearable for me; it looks downright clownish on the eye and it stains, too. The yellow gold is also powdery and not very pigmented. The blue is, as you can see in unofficial photos of the palette, a total 80s horrorshow. I have blue eyes and absolutely can't wear it; and I've tried, believe me. (Incidentally, this is the shade that looks like a beautiful royal blue in the official photos on Sleek's website.) The colder gold is a pretty colour, but glittery as all hell and hard to apply. The last two shades, vaguely pink pale golds, have a satin finish and make for an okay highlight, but they're identical on the eye. Basically, this palette could have 5 shadows instead of 12 and I wouldn't know the difference. You could argue that for this price point, it's a good deal even if you only end up using half of the palette, but I just dislike this mentality. I don't care if something is cheap: if the company sells 12 shadows in the palette, all 12 should be of similar, if not same quality.

While we're on composition, the shimmer/metallic to matte ratio in this is, again, totally off. There's nothing wrong with solid black in the crease or shimmers all up to your eyebrow, but a well-composed palette should let you make more diverse looks. At the very least, this is lacking a matte mid-brown, a matte dark red, and a matte base shadow in some light shade. As it is, with so many of the 'reds' looking so similar on the eye - to the point where you can't pair them together, because they blend together into an indistinctive mess - and the oranges/golds not being very workable, every smoky eye you do with this looks the same. You could say that I'm nitpicking and that I've bought something that doesn't mesh well with my style, but I would not recommend this to anyone who's looking for bright, glittery, peacocky eyelooks, either. The shadows just don't apply, look, or wear well.

The packaging, at least, is nice; sleek (heh) and relatively sturdy, although the hinges broke while I was carrying it around in my beauty case. (Travelling by car and being careful with my luggage, mind you, not it being banged around on a transatlantic flight or something like that.) You get a nice big mirror - and a double-ended spongetip applicator, which, as others have pointed out before, is included in every iDivine palette, despite the fact that we all seem to throw it away the second we open these palettes for the first time.

In my opinion, Sunset is the worst of the bunch; I've rated the other two palettes from this range with 3 lippies, but this one gets 2. If you want burgundies and reds and browns with metallic finishes, go get yourself a Fever Dream quad from Kiko. If you want bright, punchy oranges and golds and blues, I don't have a recommendation for you, but go for something else. If you're thinking of only buying this for a few shades, because it's so affordable, go get yourself some singles from Catrice or Maybelline (or again, Kiko). I can't, in good conscience, recommend this to anyone and I certainly won't be buying it again.

on 12/29/2016 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This was the first Sleek palette I bought back in 2012 and it's probably my favourite as the warm tones are right up my alley(pun not intended). The colors in the palette really complement my skin tone (NC42, warm)

However, I must admit that it requires a little work to get the most out of it. The eyeshadows are mostly very pigmented but don't apply so well with dry brushes. They seem to work best when applied with a damp brush or with fingers and a sticky base also helps. Once you get the shadow on though, it lasts and stays vibrant for hours with almost no creasing.

Except for the black, all the shadows are shimmery so it's not a palette I can use alone. It works best with a matte warm brown and an orange in the crease. I like to pair Inglot shadows in 300 and 335 with it. Even with the aforementioned drawbacks, Sunset is stunning and a great palette to have in your collection.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Very nice palette with gorgeous colors great pigmentation. Great eyeshadows for summer fall winter as the colors are intense. Nice sparkle/shimmer. Great buy and would buy again.

on 3/18/2016 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Best eyeshadow palette ever in terms of pigmentation and range of colors (and I own several including high end brands such as urban decay and lancome). Very easily blendable, offers a bold pop of color. A must have for tanned warm skin.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

The lid on my palette broke after a couple weeks of use :( Now it's hard to use but I haven't tossed it. I am really impressed with the pigmentation of the shadows in this palette. The colors are very bright and I need to sheer them out for daytime use (no problem). Very good lasting power. I just wish this palette had a better mix of mattes and shimmers to make it versatile for travel.

on 12/21/2015 9:32:00 AM

Maybe it's because I have many shades already like this palette but I am not as satisfied with this palette as I was with Oh So Pretty.

My problem with this palette is that there are too many similar shades (the coppers especially) and only one matte (and a black one at that, albeit a very good black but still). All shades leaned more coppery/warm orange and I wish some were more red.

The pigmentation across the board is not as wowing as Oh So Pretty and just......I expected better from Sleek though for the price, it doesn't hurt to try this palette out if you don't have coppery shades (if you do, then skip it, TRUST ME).

on 3/13/2013 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure

This is a really nice palette. The colors are very warm and the pigmentation is brilliant. I find them very easy to work with. there is some fallout but nothing major. It's a good buy

What an absolutely beautiful eyeshadow palette!
I am in the process of purchasing all the Sleek palettes and Sunset is gorgeous. Rich, pigmented shimmery shades of orange, red, blue, pink, gold and matte black. It's a unique palette, I've never seen one with these particular stunning colours. The formula is very buttery, smooth & glides on extremely well. I use my ELF primer beforehand and this eyeshadow lasts all day!!

Overall, I am sooo happy with this palette. Sleek products are AMAZING for such a cheap price. Highly recommended!!

on 10/30/2013 6:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This is my first i-Divine palette from Sleek, and I instantly fall in love with this palette. The colors are pigmented and so pretty. Definitely worth it!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is possibly my favourite palette ever.

The photos don't really do it any justice - it's far more beautiful in real life than it appears.

Many people (myself included - prior to this) get nervous about using a lot of red- or orange-based shades, specially when they're shimmery, but there isn't a bad shade in the entire bunch.

The pigmentation is excellent, and I've experienced no fall-out at all, even without primer.

My ultrasound tech made me tell her what I was wearing. Looks like Sleek is going to have another follower!