Alterna Haircare Bamboo smooth anti frizz

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
No Image

4.5

Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate, Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate , Cetrimonium Chloride, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Bambusa Vulgaris Water, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Wood Extract, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Oil, Shorea Stenoptera Seed Butter, Wasabia Japonica Root Extract, Lauramide MEA, PEG-150 Distearate, Silicone Quaternium-8, Glycerin, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Panthenol, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-55, PEG-90 Glyceryl Isostearate, Methyl Gluceth-10, PEG-15 Soyamine/IPDI Copolymer Dimer Dilinoleate, Sodium Benzoate, Polyquaternium-7, C11-15 Pareth-7, Quaternium-95, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hydrogenated Castor Oil/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Panthenyl Hydroxypropyl Steardimonium Chloride, Linalool, Laureth-9, Disodium EDTA, Propanediol, Laureth-2, Trideceth-12, Citronellol, Polysilicone-15, Aminomethyl Propanol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Phospholipids, Methylisothiazolinone, Polyquaternium-10, Silanetriol Melaninate, Superoxide Dismutase, Limonene, Bromelain, Papain, Fragrance (Parfum).

on 7/7/2014 6:27:00 PM

This shampoo & conditioner makes my hair so happy. I use the clarifying shampoo first and then re-shampoo with the anti frizz. It seems expensive because its about $22 for a small bottle but with this product a little goes a really long way. I have really thick hair and all i need of each is just a dime sized amount. if it doesnt feel sudsy enough just keep adding a little more water to your hair. I think its magical. I love the fragrance too, even though its synthetic. My boyfriend really likes the smell of my hair now that im using this.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I love the scent and that it is free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and synthetic colour. I used this with the Alterna Bamboo Smooth Anti-Frizz Conditioner. They worked well for me, BUT I also use coconut oil on the ends of my hair with all conditioners and deep condition my hair once a week. It is not my favourite shampoo/conditioner because there are still way too many chemicals (the ingredient list is very long), it would be better without the synthetic fragrance, EDTA, and PEGs, among other things.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Tried many shampoos before finding this gem.. It's gentle to your hair, cleanses well and the anti frizz benefits are noticeable.. I happen to also use the same conditioner an love it. Don't care to much for the twist up tops as product gets trapped between the bottle and the cap that's my only complaint..

This shampoo is wonderful, and I notice a huge difference when I use it vs. when I do not. When I use it, my hair is smooth, easier to blowdry, frizz-free, and full of body. When I don't, it frizzes and is very unmanageable. This shampoo also protects my color, and it isn't tested on animals, which I appreciate! I highly recommend - I've tried many shampoos but always come back to this one, as it provides obvious results!

on 5/25/2012 8:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my favorite out of the Alterna Shampoos (I've been using this brand off and on since 1998) and I have purchased this after using samples from Sephora. As I have long stick-straight silky hair (korean) 3" past my shoulders, I would never have thought of a shampoo with "smooth anti frizz" working well for me b/c I don't have any frizz and I look for shampoos that give me body & fullness (I associate smooth w/ flat hair). My favorite Sephora rep recommended this shampoo to me & wow, I am glad she did.

The $20 price is reasonable for Alterna (other Alterna shampoos cost $32 - $50 for 8.5 oz). Like most Alterna shampoos, you only need a tiny amount of shampoo for a full lather. My scalp felt so clean (but not dried out), the shine factor was good but what I loved was that my hair had decent BODY & when I moved, my hair would SWING which I love (nice surprise)! I LOVE how Alterna shampoos keep my scalp CLEANER LONGER than most other shampoos without drying out my scalp/hair and this shampoo did not disappoint in that factor. Overall this shampoo is reliable for a good hair day & I use this when I have an important event & my hair needs to look its best.

*ONLY culprit (why I gave this a 4 instead of a 5) for this shampoo is that this is HIGH up on the EWG Website for potentially health harming ingredients (www.ewg.org, measures health hazard ingredients in our toiletries). Alterna Shampoos have ranked 7 - 9! (10 is the WORST) on the EWG Website I do not feel comfortable washing my hair/scalp frequently w/ harm causing chemicals (your scalp pores are large so it/your body soaks up anything you put on it) which Alterna Shampoos are abundant in so I save this shampoo for rare occasions. I use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil Shampoo (no sulfates, almost no parabens) for most of my shampoo needs (great results and only a 4 on the ewg website). Trader Joe's other tea tree products: conditioner & body wash are AMAZING & only $3.99 for 16 oz (it is very RARE for me to use low priced items).

I do not use the Alterna Conditioner & Masques as over & over (since 1998), I have found their conditioning products to be WEAK and not effective. My favorite Sephora Sales Associates agree with me on this one (exception for them: they love Kendi Oil, but this is too heavy/greasy for my straight hair).

Other Alterna Shampoos I have used):
~ALTERNA Luminous Shine Shampoo, $20 for 8.5 oz - left a yukky film/coating on my hair and my hair was not that shiny after using this.
~ALTERNA Caviar Moisture Shampoo, $32 for 8 oz, *warning - after 3 uses, this made my hair from neck down so brittle & snarled, I had to immediately get a trim to cut off the damage (my stylist was in shock that a shampoo could cause such damage), 7 - 9 rating on ewg.org

I am 46, have fine (but lots of it) long (3" past shoulders), Korean, black, straight hair. I also use: Kerastase Bain Miroir 1 & 2 Shampoos, Kerastase masques (MasquIntense, UV Defense), Bumble & Bumble (Super Rich Cond.), Joico (K-Pak deep conditioners), Redken (Extreme Conditioner, All Soft).

I finally gave in to buying this shampoo, with the matching conditioner. I will start off by saying I do not like the smell of this shampoo at all. Something about the smell makes me nauseous, it's gross. The conditoner on the other hand, smells a lot better & I can tolerate it. Besides that, this shampoo felt very nice on my hair & it gently, but effectively cleaned my scalp & hair very well. I think this shampoo removed a lot of the build up from hair products. This has not dried my hair out so far, & this did leave my hair really smooth, with almost no frizz in sight. This did not eliminate 100% of the frizz, but it did make a lot of it less noticeable. This shampoo/conditioner is very expensive, especially for the amount you get. I have very thick, naturally curly hair....so I'll be done with this bottle in 3 weeks tops. Which, really doesn't justify the price of this. So overall, I'm not sure if I would buy this again. This did work well, but it wasn't anything amazing. Definitely not HG material. I still gave this a rating of 4 out of 5, because the product itself was pretty good. I just know I can find something that's just as good as this shampoo/conditioner, for way less that comes with a way higher amount of product.

on 3/6/2012 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Got this as a sample at Sephora and decided to give it a try. I really have no strong feelings on this shampoo one way or the other. It has quite a nice, inoffensive smell that I enjoyed greatly, and I like that it's sulfate-free. However, I didn't notice anything miraculous or even particularly notable. My hair is short (chin length) and was already fairly shiny and healthy, despite being colored. I suspect over time it would weigh my hair down slightly, but then again this isn't exactly formulated for my hair type, so not really anyone's fault.

I did like that it lathered easily and well (yay!) unlike some of the other sulfate-free shampoos I have tried, and seemed to leave my scalp feeling clean for the life of the sample (around 3 shampoos.) IMO, not quite enough time to really get a feel for it. It is important to note that, during that time, my hair and scalp felt clean, which is something I've lacked with other sulfate-frees.

The sample did its job and acted as a gateway to Alterna for me... I decided to try some of the other shampoo/conditioners and am hoping they will work out!

If this is something that you think will work for your hair type I'd definitely give it a whirl... not really for finer, naturally a bit limper (particularly on day 2) short fairly frizz-free hair.

on 1/23/2012 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

EDIT: I stopped using this and went back to Moroccan oil shampoo. I just found that it wasn't really doing anything for me -- if anything it's been drying out my hair or making it more fly-away... can't put my finger on it. Glad I only bought the travel sized bottles.

I got this as a sample from sephora once (with conditioner and serum). I don't usually use sample shampoos but I was going on a trip and could only bring a small amount of shampoo/conditioner/serum with me on-board the plane. I normally use Moroccan oil (moisturizing conditioner/shampoo and deep conditioning treatment) but after annoyingly buying a fresh bottle of shampoo after running out, I'm not so sure anymore if Moroccan oil shampoo is for me. I loved it at first but i feel as though my hair almost needs a break from it now... Anyway this shampoo came at the perfect time and I may alternate between the two from now on.
I love the smell the most - i think that is the main reason i'm hooked on this. it also makes my hair soft and shiny (i wash it 2.5 times a week and blowdry/flat iron - my hair is naturally curly and not too, too processed with color, but it gets damaged easily)...
I will go out and buy this stuff bc of the smell and i think it'll be nice to switch back and forth with the moroccan oil. will edit this review after multiple uses to see how it holds up over time.

This shampoo (with the Bamboo smooth anti frizz conditioner) saved my hair during a really difficult time. A year and a half ago, due to a prescription medication, I started losing my hair and it continued until half was gone. What I did left have turned frizzy, dull, and it lost a lot of its color..totally dead hair.

I did a lot of research - I wanted to go with a sulfate free shampoo because of how stripping the sulfates can be. This shampoo seemed to promise to deliver what I wanted. My mom gave me a few bottles on a trip to visit me and when I left her hotel, I ran home and washed my hair immediately! When I saw her later she commented that my hair looked a lot better - and it did. I have been using this product for 7 months now. My hair has grown out a lot and I've cut most of the dead stuff off now. I could go for something else... frankly, I want a change. But during that time where I was desperate, I can't think of a better shampoo for dull, frizzy scary hair. I plan to always keep a bottle of this in my shower.

on 8/4/2011 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG shampoo, I've purchased it twice already and would totally do so for a third time. I was first attracted to it because I wanted to experiment with a sulfate-free shampoo. This product basically does what it says it will do, make your hair smooth and frizz free. I'd rather pay for a quality product rather than put chemicals in my hair from drugstore shampoos. No more brittleness and dry hair for me. And it doesn't even make my hair go greasy because its not stripping it and making it go into sebum overdrive. I'm very happy my hair dresser introduced me to this.