E.L.F. Flawless Finish Foundation

E.L.F. Flawless Finish Foundation
Enter Title

3.6

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Octyl Salicylate 2%, Titanium Dioxide 5.5% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, Butylene Glycol, Talc, Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Magnesium Sulfate, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Synthetic Beeswax, Potassium Sorbate, Propylene Carbonate, Boron Nitride, Barium Sulfate, Caprylyl Glycol May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

on 9/9/2017 9:40:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I was excited to try this based on some videos I had seen recommending it, and while there are several things I like about it, this isn't going to be an everyday foundation for me.

Pros
- The finish is beautiful and satiny. No complaints here. It has exactly my preferred balance between dewy and matte.
- The coverage. It's medium. I'm not a full-coverage fan, and this has a great medium coverage.
- The price is right at 6 dollars. I actually got it on sale for 3 dollars. It's the price of a sample of many other foundations, so I figured it was worth a go.
- The packaging is lovely. It is in a frosted glass bottle with a pump. It has a nicer bottle than a foundation I paid 40 dollars for.
- All other products applied really well over it.

Cons
- The smell is a deal breaker for me. It has a weird perfume/ chemical smell that I could smell all day (I wore it to run errands). I spent my drive home looking forward to taking it off to clear the smell from my nose.
- The color range is not great. The lightest shade (light ivory?) is fairer than many elf products, but it pulls a bit dark and really yellow on my cool, fair skin (probably NW 10- 13ish). When I tried it at night, I liked how it cancelled my redness, but in the harsh light of day, it wasn't a good match

All in all, even it were a perfect color match, the smell bothers me enough, that I wouldn't use it. For me, the scent lingered for about 5 hours before I finally scrubbed my face of all traces of it. If you aren't sensitive to scents, though, it's worth a try for the price.

on 9/1/2017 10:06:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

To start with, I have normal skin (sometimes it can be somewhat clog-prone and acne prone.) And I am a HUGE fan of drugstore foundations typically, so I picked up this product with high hopes.

I got this probably a month or so ago in the shade Porcelain. I have the most generic skintone ever and neutral skin, so I can pull off pretty much any stereotypical "fair/light" colored drugstore foundation. Porcelain isn't quite as fair as you'd expect for it to be judging by the name, but that works for me because my skin isn't super pale. I will say that I think recently (very recently) e.l.f. "revamped" this line and made a shade lighter than Porcelain, "called Light Ivory". They also changed the shade name of "Porcelain" to "Natural" but from what I can gather it's the same color, just named differently. There may have been some other changes like that. One thing I will give this foundation is they at least try to cater to deeper skintones. I'm not sure they did the greatest job at it, but they have 10 shades, whereas many cruelty-free drugstore foundations have shade selections that leave much to be desired.

When I bought it I was immediately drawn to the fact that the packaging looks seriously nice for a drugstore product. The frosted glass bottle and pump really appeal to me, and I liked the fact that it has SPF 15. Took it home, swatched it, and it seemed like a great match.

The next day, I used 2 pumps of this stuff and HOLY SH*T it smells like bug spray. It was hard to put a finger on exactly what the scent was, but it's bug spray all the way and now I can't un-smell it. I'm not particularly sensitive to scents, so I still use this. But that first day (it was hot and humid outside too) I could smell it on my face ALL DAY. Now after a month or so of use I barely notice the scent, but like even today I smelled it when applying it in the morning and can still smell it faintly two hours later. MAYBE the new revamped line doesn't smell like this at all or as bad... but I'm really not sure.

I'm not sure if I can attribute this to the foundation, but since using it I haven't been breaking out at all except for hormonal acne on my chin, so that's a plus.

The finish of this foundation is beautiful and natural. I apply with my fingers and blend out with a damp beauty sponge. It's a cream formula. 1.5 pumps gives me sheer-medium coverage, 2 pumps gives me pretty medium coverage. I would prefer a little more coverage... but it's fine. The problem is that it doesn't last. By the time I come back to work after lunch (after about 6 hours of wear), I need to touch up the foundation on my cheeks and around my mouth. I've never had this problem with any other foundation I've ever used. I understand it's extremely inexpensive (around $6 at WalMart) but still. My HG foundation (WNW CoverAll Cream foundation) lasts all day and costs even less. Maybe this would work better paired with a setting spray but I don't use those. I've also tried it in conjunction with a few different tried and true primers, and nothing makes a difference. The lasting power sucks.

Another thing that was disappointing was that last week, the pump just stopped working. I was having to unscrew the pump off the top and use the tube going up to the pump to get some product out. Completely randomly, the pump actually worked this morning and I was able to get two pumps out of it... but I've tried every day for the last week to pump foundation out and nothing was happening.

Final thoughts... this foundation is the definition of "so-so". It has it's pros and cons but overall I'm not impressed enough to buy another bottle, and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Ugh. This is the worst foundation I've ever tried.
Hands down.
For starters, even for a drugstore foundation the shade range is pitiful. I got the lightest shade a could find (porcelain I think) and it was probably at least two shades too dark for me. There didn't seem to be any deep shades either.
The smell - just no. If you're not into foundations that smell like plastic and glue, stay far away from this one.
For me the worst thing about this foundation is the finish. "Flawless Finish"? I think not. I like to exfoliate, moisturize and prime my skin as needed, but honestly this foundation emphasizes every pore, line, and bump. The texture is just so waxy as well. I really struggle to apply and blend it evenly to my face. My skin hates it, I'm pretty sure it broke me out.
It doesn't take well to being set with powder. In my experience it looks rather cakey and uneven. As for the longevity I can't say anything. I've never had this on my skin for longer than an hour before I cave in and wash it off. The bottle lasted me probably 5 applications before I threw it into the trash.
If you want a cheap foundation PLEASE don't buy this one. There are so many better foundations at that price point.

on 7/7/2017 3:45:00 PM

try different application methods. I first tried this with a brush, it was awful and cakey. But that was my own mistake, using a brush never looks good on my skin. tried with a damp sponge, it looked beautiful. the only problem is that elf doesn't seem to understand that foundations and primer usually come with 1fl oz.

on 6/29/2017 3:08:00 PM

I loveeee the packaging. It goes with the pump. I like foudnation that has a pump. You can estimate the amount of foundation you'd like to put on your face. Secondly, I'm in love with the shade. I chose sand and its the perfect shade for me. My face is slightly darker than my hand, so I have to choose the shade that matches my face skin tone. I have a natural but a bit of cool undertone. Light to medium tone. But i dont really like the finishing. It's kinda a dewy finish. Not my cup of tea since i have oily skin and i LIVE in a humid place where you're always sweating and your skin is always always oily. It has a light to medium coverage. For a face that rarely has no acnes like me, i wouldn't really mind the light to medium coverage. But it's not suitable with people that likes full coverage since it's not that buildable. It gets a bit cakey if you add more layers. I would rate this foundation with only 3 for the coverage & finishing. But i would consider 4 for the price. Its super cheapp

on 8/12/2017 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the best! After considering the options:
-Dollar store (Dollar Tree) $1
-drug store (Kroger) $5-$10
-MAC (liquid fdtn, or possibly powder fdtn) $35
-charlotte tilbury $44
-bare minerals (kit) $49
-Chanel $55

And that's just the liquid fdtn not the powder to go with it. Add on double for a matching powder. So I did I admit it I'm not a product Snob, buy Dollar Tree Sassy + Chic BB & it's wonderful I'd definitely rebuy that. But I wanted an actual fdtn. So I put my money on elf (wnw had photofocus fdtn & powder but the colors didn't look like any of them were going to match me.

I had planned to buy elf but wnw did catch my eye & both are cruelty free!) with elf I got ($6 liquid fdtn/3 powders x $2/2 primers x $6/BB cream $6=$30 right? I can do makeup not math lol) so that was the best deal other than Dollar Tree I will next time buy Dollar Tree BB w elf primer & elf powder ($1 + $2 + $6) but this fdtn is 1 of my faves even thou i got oily skin. My skin is maturing oily skin making it less prone to breakouts.

This is not real buildable. I don't detect a strong scent. It goes 4-5 hours before I have to blot but that's normal for me. [i live & breathe blot papers]. I think DT's BB is better superior than ELF's & at $1 my wallet likes this too!! But elf's powder rules it's about as good as anything, colormates is decent too if u don't got like oily skin but it & LA Colors have mineral oil as a principle ingredient & I don't like putting a lot of mineral oil on my skin it suffocates it & doesn't absorb much oil or have much for setting/mattifying properties. Which is the point of powder!

Elf's fdtn has a nice pump w a substantial feeling frosted bottle that gives the impression of having an entire ounce but it contains just a mere 0.68oz which is kind of a gyp most fdtn comes in an 1oz bottle. The cap is secure which is good because I carry a lot of MU w me in my bag. Elf's primers are a mere 0.5oz so even less product but still both are good products for reasonable prices (I consider $55 for an ounce of Chanel to be UNreasonable it best make me look like Gigi or Bella Hadid! This 40 year old mug?! Haha & walk the dog too!).

This fdtn matches me well in Porcelain & Sand, I am NC20 in MAC normally the first Beige in DS fdtns or if they have a Pale/Natural/Nude after ivory/the porcelains but before the first beige, that's me. Elf's palest shade is porcelain and it's more pink sand is next color darker & it is yellow. I had never tried sand until now becoz Kroger didn't have porcelain. Sand is nice. I don't think very pale or very dark people are very well represented by elf's shade representations.

This is the best DS fdtn bedsides elf's acne fighting fdtn (that's my fave DS fdtn but it can be hard to come by), revlon colorstay is decent too but very much different than elf's liquid fdtn. Elf is not transfer proof nor particularly long lasting like revlon but it's easier to remove. It spreads on the face easily, dries fast, doesn't pill up over the top of other products, it isn't waterproof .... "but you got that UD setting spray ayyyyeeeeee!!" (ok. Maybe not. I use hairspray as a setting spray old drag queen trick!!)

Tl;dr buy this fdtn in Sand if you are NC20! A good solid product & not tested on animals.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Beautiful packaging for a $6 foundation: a glass bottle with a pump and a cap. Kudos to e.l.f for not cheaping out. Now the product itself is not too thick or runny. When applied with the fingers it feels very wet but sets within a few minutes to a wonderful semi matte finish; not totally wet but not flat matte either. I mix the shades Porcelain and Sand as one is the perfect light shade but too pink undertoned and the other is too dark but the perfect yellow tone, together they create the perfect color for me. It lasts all day with just a few touch ups as any oily skinned girl knows is absolutely needed with any foundation no matter how great it may be but the fact that I wasn't blotting my face every 2 hours is so nice. I can change outfits throughout the day and nothing rubs off but that could be due to the fact that I always make sure that my face barely touches any blouse I put on.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Like with some foundations out there I feel like I couldn't find my "perfect" or close to perfect match, there needs to be more medium colors because its either too dark or ashy light on me. Another problem I have is that at least for me it looks like I don't have full coverage and its doesn't layer well and settles into lines. Also the pump constantly needs to cleared of any residue left behind or it clumps up. Really wanted to like this, but it's a no for me.

on 5/24/2017 2:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I was having a poor day the other week so of course I ran out of foundation when I couldn't afford the $60 to by my go to. So after reading reviews on here I decided to give elf a go, not expecting much but for $13 from Kmart it was an easy decision.

I'm really impressed with this foundation. Medium coverage but on the liger side of medium. Slightly dewy finish. It felt so nice in my skin and had good staying power PLUS elf is cruelty free which is a huge bonus.

My main complaint about this foundation is that the lightest shade is still too dark and quite yellow. I will buy this foundation again but will have to use my Australis lightening drops with it.