E.L.F. Flawless Finish Foundation

E.L.F. Flawless Finish Foundation
Flawless Finish FoundationEnter TitleFlawless Finish Foundation

3.6

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Octyl Salicylate 2%, Titanium Dioxide 5.5% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, Butylene Glycol, Talc, Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Magnesium Sulfate, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Synthetic Beeswax, Potassium Sorbate, Propylene Carbonate, Boron Nitride, Barium Sulfate, Caprylyl Glycol May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

on 11/14/2017 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased this foundation, prior to now having found my holy grail of foundations, which is the LA Colors Truly Matte foundation (which is why, had I purchased the LA Colors Truly Matte foundation first, I honestly wouldn't have never ended up buying the E.LF. Flawless Finish one at all). Now, the shade range for the E.L.F. Flawless Finish foundation is definitely lacking. However, that's always the case with any foundation range that E.L.F. comes out with. I don't typically buy foundations that have added fragrance to them, because I typically find such to be a huge turnoff, when it's added to foundations period. But, because this foundation has gotten a lot of rave reviews on YouTube and I love buying from E.LF., I finally decided to cave in and give this foundation give it a try, nonetheless. I will say that you can get medium-to-full coverage with this foundation, by using the E.L.F. Ultimate Blending Brush. Now, I do smell the added fragrance in the foundation, but it is bearable (at least to me). And, this foundation definitely MUST be set with powder, because it does not dry fully matte on the face at all. It has a semi-matte finish to it, which on some people may appear as semi-dewy, and this foundation definitely will transfer if not set properly set with finishing powder.

The packaging is nice for this foundation, and I do like that it does come with a pump. Which does make it very easy to dispense.

I have not gotten any major breakouts from the foundation, however, it is not a foundation that I plan on purchasing again, because there's nothing overly special about this foundation, that I have personally found (however to others they actually love this foundation and it happens to be a favorite of theirs, therefore to each his own). So, the only way to tell if you'll really end up loving it or not, you'd have to personally try it out for yourself. Also, it is definitely very noticeable, in regards to the the fact that the shade range needs to bemajorly improved upon. I did get the shade Sand, which thank God didn't make me look super pale or end up looking super orange on me either, however, there honestly isn't a shade within the line that is a complete shade match for me at all. And, I also wish that E.LF. would take the fragrance out of this foundation. Because, even though I do find it to be bearable, it is still a con, nonetheless, when it comes to any foundation (whether it's cheap or expensive). Also, you get way less than 1 oz. of foundation (which is why I don't understand why E.L.F. sells it for $6). However, besides the cons that I mentioned, this foundation is worth giving a try, nonetheless, if you really want to.

I like the finish and coverage of this product. You do not need a lot to get the job done- it is quite thick and good coverage. Start with a half pump and work your way up- a full pump is way too much. It doesn't last as well as some higher priced formulas, but it does pretty decent throughout the day.

When I bought this, Porcelain was the lightest shade. It was definitely too dark and too yellow for me. I mixed in some of NYX's lavender liquid corrector to lighten it up, and made it work. I'm fine doing this to use the bottle up, but I don't want a foundation I have to mix with something else on an ongoing basis. They have since added a lighter shade (Light Ivory), but I cannot speak to that one.

Unfortunately this has a very strong fragrance that I would describe as "old lady perfume." It's eased up a bit as the product got older, but originally it lasted all day. Not something you want to have right under your nose all day. Not a fan. I definitely prefer unscented face products, and fragrance is not good for your skin. So in the future, this one is a pass for me. I'd try it again if they cut out the perfume.

Keep in mind also, that though this product seems cheap you are only getting about 0.6 oz. It won't last you very long compared to standard 1 oz foundations.

on 10/14/2017 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Flawless medium coverage with a satin finish. Porcelain good match for NC15 . Applies well with fingers - I have no patience in the morning and this is important to me. Lasts a good 12 hours. Just tried Double Wear - ELF looks better and is way easier to apply. And the price!

on 10/20/2017 10:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I've been eyeing this foundation for some time now based on all the positive reviews.

This gives a medium coverage and is reasonably priced but around the same price as the Maybelline fit me in Canada.

I really wanted to love this foundation because it's almost mousey and great for my dry skin however the shades are all too in between and not diverse enough. I got the sand as the buff would he too orange toned and sand looks very light when first applied then oxidises throughout the day and settles into the skin.

Out of all the drugstore foundations I've used this one feels and sits very heavy on the skin and using even a small pea sized amount makes my face look very made up and I hate looking like I'm wearing a lot of foundation when really I've put on the minimum amount.

I wouldn't recommend this unless you have an exact match with one of the few shades available and unless you don't mind looking very made up.

on 10/15/2017 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Got this foundation because a favourite youtuber of mine recommended. Never looked back, has great coverage and glides on smooth. Does feel a little tacky on the skin but setting powder fixes it up. It's really cheap, $7 CAD at Walmart. Only complaints is the tiny shade range and the matte black lid, my finger prints get all over it. Only reason why I won't be repurchasing is because I'm trying to try out a ton of foundations and I'm not ready to settle for a forever foundation yet. Too many options! Overall, Highly recommend.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I previously bought this in the shade "Light Ivory" and this was before they added lighter shades, and it was too dark for me. I hated that it was too dark for me cause I loved how it looked on my skin! It looked smooth across my face and didn't wash me out. Aside from the color mistake, I really enjoyed it. The staying power was fairly good, I did have some shine till the end of the day, which is normal for me. Surprisingly, this is only $6! E.l.f can be hit or miss, and this a definite hit!

on 9/9/2017 9:40:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I was excited to try this based on some videos I had seen recommending it, and while there are several things I like about it, this isn't going to be an everyday foundation for me.

Pros
- The finish is beautiful and satiny. No complaints here. It has exactly my preferred balance between dewy and matte.
- The coverage. It's medium. I'm not a full-coverage fan, and this has a great medium coverage.
- The price is right at 6 dollars. I actually got it on sale for 3 dollars. It's the price of a sample of many other foundations, so I figured it was worth a go.
- The packaging is lovely. It is in a frosted glass bottle with a pump. It has a nicer bottle than a foundation I paid 40 dollars for.
- All other products applied really well over it.

Cons
- The smell is a deal breaker for me. It has a weird perfume/ chemical smell that I could smell all day (I wore it to run errands). I spent my drive home looking forward to taking it off to clear the smell from my nose.
- The color range is not great. The lightest shade (light ivory?) is fairer than many elf products, but it pulls a bit dark and really yellow on my cool, fair skin (probably NW 10- 13ish). When I tried it at night, I liked how it cancelled my redness, but in the harsh light of day, it wasn't a good match

All in all, even it were a perfect color match, the smell bothers me enough, that I wouldn't use it. For me, the scent lingered for about 5 hours before I finally scrubbed my face of all traces of it. If you aren't sensitive to scents, though, it's worth a try for the price.

on 10/10/2017 1:23:00 PM

This is one of the foundations that i always come back to! i blend two shades together to get my color match, porcelain and buff. porcelain is to fair with a pink under tone and buff it to tan for me but mixed together its perfect. It leaves my face looking flawless! I am more on the normal to dry with sometimes a little oily on my t zone. I notice that when i come back to this foundation i looks flawless all day but after about a week of wearing it everyday it starts to make my skin oily faster so thats when i stop wearing it and try my other foundations and then when i come back to it again its just flawless! i say try it out! its only $6 and doesnt break me out. i am also acne prone.

on 9/1/2017 10:06:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

***EDIT: After having used this foundation for 3 months, I can safely say I'll never use it again. I still have some product in the bottle (quite a bit) but the pump and lid completely broke in every way and the product has become so thick that I can't even get it out of the bottle effectively. My face has also been breaking out like crazy (in the beginning my skin didn't seem to mind this stuff, but with time my skin got worse and worse.) I get weird, painful bumps on my cheeks and around my jawline. I very rarely ever change anything about my skincare/makeup routine/lifestyle, so I know this foundation is the culprit of my recent skin problems.***

To start with, I have normal skin (sometimes it can be somewhat clog-prone and acne prone.) And I am a HUGE fan of drugstore foundations typically, so I picked up this product with high hopes.

I got this probably a month or so ago in the shade Porcelain. I have the most generic skintone ever and neutral skin, so I can pull off pretty much any stereotypical "fair/light" colored drugstore foundation. Porcelain isn't quite as fair as you'd expect for it to be judging by the name, but that works for me because my skin isn't super pale. I will say that I think recently (very recently) e.l.f. "revamped" this line and made a shade lighter than Porcelain, "called Light Ivory". They also changed the shade name of "Porcelain" to "Natural" but from what I can gather it's the same color, just named differently. There may have been some other changes like that. One thing I will give this foundation is they at least try to cater to deeper skintones. I'm not sure they did the greatest job at it, but they have 10 shades, whereas many cruelty-free drugstore foundations have shade selections that leave much to be desired.

When I bought it I was immediately drawn to the fact that the packaging looks seriously nice for a drugstore product. The frosted glass bottle and pump really appeal to me, and I liked the fact that it has SPF 15. Took it home, swatched it, and it seemed like a great match.

The next day, I used 2 pumps of this stuff and HOLY SH*T it smells like bug spray. It was hard to put a finger on exactly what the scent was, but it's bug spray all the way and now I can't un-smell it. I'm not particularly sensitive to scents, so I still use this. But that first day (it was hot and humid outside too) I could smell it on my face ALL DAY. Now after a month or so of use I barely notice the scent, but like even today I smelled it when applying it in the morning and can still smell it faintly two hours later. MAYBE the new revamped line doesn't smell like this at all or as bad... but I'm really not sure.

The finish of this foundation is beautiful and natural. I apply with my fingers and blend out with a damp beauty sponge. It's a cream formula. 1.5 pumps gives me sheer-medium coverage, 2 pumps gives me pretty medium coverage. I would prefer a little more coverage... but it's fine. The problem is that it doesn't last. By the time I come back to work after lunch (after about 6 hours of wear), I need to touch up the foundation on my cheeks and around my mouth. I've never had this problem with any other foundation I've ever used. I understand it's extremely inexpensive (around $6 at WalMart) but still. My HG foundation (WNW CoverAll Cream foundation) lasts all day and costs even less. Maybe this would work better paired with a setting spray but I don't use those. I've also tried it in conjunction with a few different tried and true primers, and nothing makes a difference. The lasting power sucks.

Another thing that was disappointing was that last week, the pump just stopped working. I was having to unscrew the pump off the top and use the tube going up to the pump to get some product out. Completely randomly, the pump actually worked this morning and I was able to get two pumps out of it... but I've tried every day for the last week to pump foundation out and nothing was happening.

Final thoughts... this foundation is the definition of "so-so". It has it's pros and cons but overall I'm not impressed enough to buy another bottle, and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

on 8/12/2017 6:07:00 PM