Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base

Shiseido  Nourishing Mascara Base

4.3

C11-12 Isoparaffin, Dextrin Palmitate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Isododecane, Sucrose Tetrastearate Triacetate, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Macadamia Seed Oil Polyglyceryl-6 Esters Behenate, Butylene Glycol, Water (Aqua), Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Sucrose Tetraisostearate, Peg-20 Hydrogenated Castor Oil Triisostearate, Trimethylsiloxysilylcarbamoyl Pullulan, Arginine, Nylon-12, Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Tocopherol, Zinc Oxide (Ci 77947), Polysilicone-2, Silica, Bht.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

HG primer, if you know how to use it!

This product Holds curl extremely well. If you have stick straight Asian lashes like me, oh god is this the primer for you! I find that the best mascaras on the market tend to uncurl all the hard work I've done with an eyelash curler, so I make sure I OVER curl my lashes before applying this primer, to compensate for the uncurling effect of mascara that will be applied next.

I believe there is no such thing as a primer or a mascara formula/applicator that can deliver the totally clump-free, evenly distributed application I have always dreamed of. This one's not bad on its own; the application is reasonably clump-free. But as the product is clear, it's hard to see what I'm doing so, so I always work through the lashes with spoolie right after application, to ensure the product is evenly distributed and separated before it dries.

You can see little white fibres stuck to the tips of your lashes after application, which helps with the lengthening when mascara is applied.

Once dry, I apply mascara and brush it through again with a spoolie to distribute the mascara evenly ensure there are no clumps. The mascara relaxes the curl a little bit, so the primer does not provide perfect hold against the uncurling effects of mascara, but it is pretty damn good and can be compensated by curling your lashes more than usual before starting.

The product is difficult to remove. I haven't found the right makeup remover for it, so I go to bed with white tips on my eyelashes. I don't really mind it though. I suppose the excellent curl hold comes at a price of being difficult to remove!

on 9/21/2016 12:44:00 PM

I am so on the fence with this product. It holds a curl - yes. Double yes. That was essentially the reason I bought it, and what I hoped it would do. I have short, straight lashes that don't hold a curl without waterproof mascara, which I despise trying to remove. And this base *holds* the curl. All day. However, there are several things about it that temper the great curling achievement:

1. It's hard to tell if you've got it on every lash, and whether you need to do more "comb thru" with the brush.
2. It dries quite quickly (and I believe you're *supposed* to let it dry before putting on mascara which means you have to work pretty fast and ensure you take care of getting your lashes separated, and coated (in fact I tend to push more product into the base of my lashes as opposed to the ends to try to temper any clumping that might be happening)).
3. Not much volume, but some length. *This again isn't what I bought the product for, but it would still be nice to look like Bambi, for the price.
4. Whatever mascara I put on top of it clumps due to the mascara base not coating evenly and drying my lashes together, ie. flecks on the ends of lashes where the tips are stuck together and/or bent funny. And they don't comb out. V. frustrating.
5. I'm actually finding it a little hard to remove. Sometimes there is still some product on my lashes the next day after removing that make starting the whole process over again a little difficult.

I tried the LancĂ´me Cils Booster and it was leaps and bounds above Shiseido's base in terms of volume & length. And the first time I used it, it held the curl just as well so I was about to switch. But I noticed ol' droopy curl had returned on the second day with Cils Booster (what changed? why? WHY?? etc.) So I returned it and used the Shiseido again. I'm wondering if I should try using it wet instead of letting it dry before putting mascara on top....but most reviewers have said using it wet causes curl droop so then what's the point?

Will keep trying with it and edit if anything changes. In the meantime, I've said I would repurchase, only because I haven't found anything better!

UPDATE: I realized that it was actually my LIQUID LINER that was gooping up my eyelashes, sticking them together, and being hard to remove. NOT this mascara base. Once I switched back to pencil/powder for lining, this base became AH-MAZING and I will never be without it again if I can help it!

To Read all 115 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I can not say enough good things about this eyelash primer. I tried mac, Dior, L'Oreal, Kate kanebo etc. But none holds a curl as well as Shiseido. It's a shame that they're planning to discontinue this :'(

on 8/1/2016 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This stuff is the holy grail of holy grails. I've been using Shiseido's Mascara Base since before it was reformulated, and let me tell you, nothing even comes CLOSE to how amazing this product is. I have tried HE and drugstore primers/bases alike, and compared to this, you may as well be wearing nothing. It not only gives lashes volume, but holds a curl like cement.

If you look at me in the morning before I put makeup on, it's a sight to behold. The lashes on my right eye are curled (presumably since that has always been the side I favor sleeping on when on my stomach) and the lashes on my left eye are stick straight. It looks like half of my face is wide awake while the other half hasn't had its coffee yet. In order to fix this issue, I need a base that will hold a curl and Shiseido's has been the only one that does this. All the others will hold a curl until I apply mascara, and then within two minutes it's back to being straight again. The product has an almost gel-like consistency as opposed to those white "microfiber" bases that are supposed to give dramatic length, which I imagine is why it is so much better at holding a curl. I don't know what I would do if Shiseido ever discontinued this product. When they discontinued the original I panicked until I found out it was just being reformulated. I will never try anything else. There is nothing like this product out there.

on 7/30/2015 1:42:00 AM

Love this. It's so simple to use - just a quick comb through until I can see little grey bits on the end of each lash. The grey is not an issue at all and is fully and easily covered by mascara - if anything it's a benefit cause I can see which lashes do not have product on. There's no way I would wear this alone - it's not a product intended for that.

It really adds a bit of very natural oomf in length. I love that this is meant to condition my lashes as well! I do suspect that my lashes have benefited from this base length wise, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've heard so many raves about this lash primer that I finally broke down and bought a tube, even though I have a couple of back up tubes of my beloved Lancome Cils Booster.
The first thing I noticed is that the formula is definitely lighter than the traditional lash primers out there and it's also clear. Interesting concept, I thought to myself.

The Shiseido primer does keep the curl in place better than the Lancome Cils Booster but it doesn't give the same sort of volume. I guess it's one or the other, depending on personal preference.
I use this Shiseido primer first then apply a light coat of the Lancome primer for some extra volume before applying regular mascara.

The price point is a bit less expensive than Lancome or Dior which is a plus.

I'd probably repurchase and use it in conjunction with the Lancome primers I still have to use.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

i have really straight short asian lashes so mascara primer is a must for me. i really liked how this primer really held my curl well. i've used dior, urban decay and lancome lash primers and this shiseido one beats the others in terms of holding a curl. it also does a good job of lengthening, however its not as volumizing as some of the other primers. this is still however one of my top lash primers. however my local sephora doesn't carry this in store. so it makes it harder for me to readily buy it.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am a big believer in lash primers. I have tried many, and for the last few year have been using the Dior primer. After reading glowing reviews for Shiseido's primer, I decided to give it a try. I do enjoy the gel consistancy, but I don't find this primer to add any length or volume. It helps with creating a smooth base for my mascara, but that's about it. I will definitely go back to Dior once I'm finished with this tube. What a shame, as I was really hoping to like it. I love Shiseido's skin care line and foundations so I had high hopes. Too bad.

on 2/19/2015 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I like mascara primers. I have very long lashes, but they're so straight and slightly sparse, so I am looking for something to hold curl and provide volume.

What it comes down to for me is that this isn't worth the price. It's clear and easy to apply. It was so-so in the volume department, but I think it provided no benefit in holding a curl on my stubborn lashes. It left my lashes feeling drier than normal and was difficult to remove.

I'm thinking now of experimenting with layering mascaras instead.

on 1/23/2015 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Bought this impulsively after reading review after review saying this helps hold a curl. I have thin, straight lashes and I cannot stand wilted curl. However, I also hate waterproof mascara for its difficulty in removal. Over the years I have waded through mascaras which do or do not wilt curl and if they do, they are not even a contender. As for primers, I have tried those by Tarte, E.L.F., and Dior in the past. All were thick white creams that weighed down my lashes and didn't do anything great otherwise. So I was skeptical of the Shiseido. But it is different. It is a gel, not a cream, and it really does lock in the lift (much like a brow gel would hold brows in place). After this and mascara, my lashes stay almost as curled as when freshly curled, all day. Hooray! Now, I can't really say it does anything amazing for adding volume, but I'm sure it isn't hurting either, being an extra layer. It does not ADD any problems like clumping or sticking together, though. One thing I'm not crazy about is that it dries pretty stiff, and so once it is dry, it's a little harder to really layer on mascara. It's a bit like trying to comb your hair after hairspray - I have trouble getting the mascara brush wedged into the lashes well. But this is not a dealbreaker. Maybe because of that it should be 4 stars, but I'm just so excited that it holds a curl AND removes easily that I am inflating my rating.
EDIT: I had to come back and sing the praises of this product even more...it is a GAME CHANGER for me. I have been trying many mascaras on top of it, high and low end, including some I had put in a drawer because I didn't like them. This base makes any mascara better. I am getting good results no matter what I use on top. It allows me to do what I never could before: layer more than one coat without weighing down the curl. So I can play around to get the drama I want. I am actually a little sad that the search is over for the HG mascara. It wasn't the mascara that needed finding, it was this primer!! Woot!